Prius error message

Other Production EV's including motorbikes, and cars by smaller manufacturers
HeadsUp
Groupie

Prius error message

Post by HeadsUp » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 12:44

Can anyone enlighten me if this error message is significant and how long is the list of problems it could indicate ?

It was serviced in July with no reported faults.

its not mine , its one that is up for sale and i am just going off the photo.

2011 Prius - C NHP10R 100,000 km on the clock

message says "Check Hybrid system stop the vehicle in a safe place immediately"

T1 Terry

Re: Prius error message

Post by T1 Terry » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 14:00

Much later model than our unit, but we had the same red triangle error message come up. Disconnect the high voltage traction battery via the orange lever/plug and disconnect the 12v aux battery, have a cuppa and then reconnect them making sure you lift the lever on the orange HV plug to lift and lock it in place. Turn it on an see if the error message has gone. Our problem was after I had disconnected both batteries to do a timing chain replacement and missed the step involving lifting the orange lever on the HV plug. After the heart slowed down a bit I went back through the steps and found the mistake, hasn't been a problem since.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 14:37

thanks .

I am assuming there could be multiple reasons for that message but at least we know one solution now :)

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 16:39

That will eliminate it being an error error message :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Phildo
Noobie

Post by Phildo » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 23:40

First rule of Toyota ownership - get a VCX cable and the matching Techstream software.

Do a search on www.aliexpress.com for VCX cable. You want the one that has "Powered for TIS" on it (ie there are different versions for different car brands; the TIS one is for Toyota).

eg: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VXDIAG- ... 02477.html

Techstream is the software that Toyota dealerships use to diagnose cars.

Used with a laptop running Windows (I have Parallels and Windows on my Apple MacBook Pro), Techstream will tell you everything about the car.

Example:
2007 Prius with 148,000km - one of the modules died a while ago.

These error codes indicate a fault in the hybrid battery, particularly in block 7 (ie P3017 indicates block 7... the battery modules are paired into blocks):

You can see how block 7 has a lower voltage than the other blocks, indicating a faulty module.

For rebuilding/repairing a hybrid battery, refer to this thread on the PriusChat forum: https://priuschat.com/threads/gen-ii-pr ... ent.125588