CCS standard for Australia

Other Production EV's including motorbikes, and cars by smaller manufacturers
RickWoodbury
Noobie

Post by RickWoodbury » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 19:23

We have just received our Mennekes CCS type 2 charging inlet with lock. These have been very difficult to find, but now available from Phoenix in Germany. I haven't kept up on the trend in Australia lately, but have heard that New Zealand is rightfully adopting the type 2 standard. It's insane in a country with 3-phase 400V power to be limited to charging with single phase 240V. We have chosen a Brusa 22Kw onboard charger for the first new Tango to be delivered to Perth. This utilizes the 7-pin type-two which would not be possible with the 5-pin SAE. Here is the US, although we have 3 phase in most all industrial buildings, it's typically only 240V and can't be used with the Brusa charger. Hope that Australia has woken up to the serious mismatch, or will do so in the near future before too much infrastructure is installed. Australia has the opportunity to take advantage of the common 3-phase power for charging.

Although the Tango will have the type-2 inlet with 7 pins, (plus 2 more for DC Charging) It will be able to charge from the 5-pin SAE type-1 with an adaptor.Image

Richo

Post by Richo » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 20:37

RickWoodbury wrote: We have just received our Mennekes CCS type 2 charging inlet with lock.

Nice
RickWoodbury wrote: It's insane in a country with 3-phase 400V power to be limited to charging with single phase 240V.
Well not really.
A lot of residential homes in the metro areas don't have 3-phase.
I doubt that the average city commuter uses more than 12kWh per day.
So on a regular house that's 4-5 hours to charge.
Off peak power is a 9 hour window so you could charge it twice during the night on regular single phase.

But it's always NICE to have the option to charge in 30minuntes!
RickWoodbury wrote: We have chosen a Brusa 22Kw onboard charger for the first new Tango to be delivered to Perth.

No guesses where that's going Image
I'd be interested to see how that goes.

Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

RickWoodbury
Noobie

Post by RickWoodbury » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 06:34

When at home you'll typically have all night to charge. The benefit of 3-phase charging is when you're away, and want quicker charging. I've used PlugShare to look around Australia and found lots of 3-phase outlets. None of those are available if you have an SAE J1772 inlet which precludes the use of a 3-phase charger on board. It's even possible to parallel two Brusa chargers to have 44kW of on board charging.

MrD
Noobie

Post by MrD » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 18:43

Standards Australia has recently re-formed committee EM-001 to develop relevant Electric Mobility(EM)standards for Australia. All the stakeholder groups have representation including AEVA. I am the nominated member for Engineers Australia and welcome informed and constructive comments via this forum or the personal messaging facility.
Regards
Chris
MrD-13MiEV

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 23:31

MrD wrote: Standards Australia has recently re-formed committee EM-001 to develop relevant Electric Mobility(EM)standards for Australia. All the stakeholder groups have representation including AEVA. I am the nominated member for Engineers Australia and welcome informed and constructive comments via this forum or the personal messaging facility.
Regards
Chris

Awesome - so we have two AEVA reps then Image
I challenge you to come up with a better invention than the bicycle

RickWoodbury
Noobie

Post by RickWoodbury » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 08:42

For the record, I would like to state that this is a very serious decision that will affect Australians for decades into the future. If J1772 is adopted, it will limit every car to a substandard capability. I implore you to push hard for the Mennekes type 2. It adds two more pins, probably costs no more, and allows future on-board charging capability up to 44kW. That is nearly what the Chademo gives and doesn't require a $25k+ EVSE, just a simple outlet. Even if you never use the extra two pins because you always charge at home and don't have 3-phase power, it doesn't get in the way in the least. Furthermore you can adapt to J1772 simply with an adaptor that you could make yourself, if they don't exist on the market already. You CANNOT go the other way. If you go with J1772, you can never charge from 3-pahse power.

Richo

Post by Richo » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 20:20

I do agree with you.

But long before we even know about a production car I suspect that the plug is already determined by the manufacturer.
The only way around this is if it put into the ADR's which may prohibit a vehicle being sold in Australia unless it is modified first to comply.

Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.