Mercedes PHEVs in Australia

Other Production EV's including motorbikes, and cars by smaller manufacturers
wattsaname
Noobie

Post by wattsaname »

Apparently Mercedes are at last offering the C350e, GLE500e, and S500e Plug in Hybrids in Australia:

Here is an article I just read: http://www.caradvice.com.au/461966/merc ... australia/

Hopefully these additions to the range will help a few of my ilk (ICE drivers) to dip their toes into electricity and maybe one day charge fully in Image

(updated link 5-10-16)
Last edited by wattsaname on Wed, 05 Oct 2016, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi All :)

Well, I say total rubbish.

Here we have the formula 1 phev.

What does it do? It improves power.

What does the prius do?   For all it's complexity, all it does is slightly reduce fuel consumption. Then the little cars came out to equal the prius on fuel consumption to take away the incentive to get one, but filled with bullsh*t like colourheremotion and rubbish like that.

I am now going with an American's suggestion that people should go for the two car household, generally speaking. An Abrahams Tank if it takes their fancy, and either an Imiev, leaf or BMW3 (because these are ones I'm familiar with which are all electric and can do a job.

So they have their contrasting vehicles and each day, they choose the one most suitable for the current transport needs.

I was chatting with a member of the public a few days ago and he was very interested in the imiev. We talked about world events but he also said he felt a need to "do something".   He pointed to the Porsche Panamera Turbo which he'd had new for 12 years. I said "Please buy one of these or something like it, and after a while, ask yourself which one you favour day by day".

The other thing i'm interested to know is out of all the members on this forum, how many have a usable electric vehicle?   Greg
Johny

Post by Johny »

bladecar wrote:The other thing i'm interested to know is out of all the members on this forum, how many have a usable electric vehicle?   Greg
I do! I use 37km average distance per charge (80km range). Driven every day. 31km round trip to work. 25,000km in the last three years.

I kind of get where you are coming from. I often say to people that the EV doesn't have to do everything. (Why cart around a 400km range battery pack when you are going 30km?) Just use it where you can and it'll fill 95% of you needs. Obviously there are exceptions but most households would get lots of use from an EV.

Edit: Typo "Why..."
Last edited by Johny on Thu, 21 Jul 2016, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

bladecar wrote:
I am now going with an American's suggestion that people should go for the two car household, generally speaking.

As much as people aiming the American's way of living (super comfort), I think we all need to rethink how to transport oneself. Of course, there are people that simply can't live without cars. However, majority of us, I believe (naively), can live with less cars (maybe none?).

Sacrifices must be made of course. I am fortunate enough to have just enough physical strength to ride a bicycle to work (OK, I'm cheating, it's an e-Bike) so that my other half and kids can use the car (not going extreme enough for the kids to do the same). What is hard though, is to do this almost everyday for the whole year regardless the weather. Hailstorm is painful especially.

I encourage for any of you who wants to leave livable legacy for next generation is to read this book. It's the best current energy review that I've read to date!!
bladecar wrote:
The other thing i'm interested to know is out of all the members on this forum, how many have a usable electric vehicle?

It's an understatement to say my Leaf has been usable. It's done almost 20,000km for the first year ownership. Gone to South West with RAC fast charger, carting 4-yo and 2-yo kids around, all with great comfort.

My other vehicle, an electric bicycle, has done almost 20,000km in the last 3 years.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

The Mercs above have a claimed 30km all electric range, so a substantial step above a Prius. If the range is correct I could commute in one on electric only. I've got the 2 car hybrid system (i-MieV + 4WD van), but the plugs ins seem like a good alternative for people limited to a single car.

I actually commute by e-bike which also a hybrid with about 30km range, actually would be less range electric only but I have never tried not pedalling for more than a minute or two.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi :)

So, I would want the Mercedes to have the plug-in range per day that I, on average, would need. 30km doesn't do it. I'd guess at 60, and I'd be happy.   This is partly because I choose to only charge at night and don't fully charge now. I could charge the moment I'd come back from my 30km trip but Mercedes need to face up to the here and now. We need non-oil propulsion most of the time from now on.

You can see that Mercedes are just doing the same-old same-old in an interesting way. Not good enough.

I hope Tesla run them out of business unless they can improve.

Yes, I charge at night. It will take many more electric vehicles charging at night to make any difference to the pollution output of the average group of power stations.   Governments have raised taxes, indirectly, by letting power billers penalise owners of panels. I'm going to get the last cent I can to cover the penalties tied to solar meters (what????) and whatever else they can dream up. Pay for reducing pollution. Let the polluters do that.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

So it's not a rubbish car in general, it's just rubbish for your particular preferred pattern of use.

I wouldn't buy one either, but I do think they could be beneficial. I suspect owners will enjoy the electric mode and want their next car to have a better electric range or be all electric.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi Mike,

Yes, you're right. I forgot that people might run the car on electricity only, at times, and that would be new for them.

I suppose it would either entice them towards a battery car, or be proof to them that a battery only car is a gutless, short-term wonder :)

I wonder if there are more than 200 electric car drivers on this forum?

Mmmm, for some reason, I've been forced to think about this. Never a good idea.

I see it now. Mecedes phev results in skyrocketing ev sales due to amazing electric performance.

Ned Skoll (Not his real name) said: "It's amazing how well it goes. I suppose it's because of its light contruction due to not having to cart around a bl**dy great V6 twin turbo (probably intercooled) power unit as well, which allowed them to slim it right down. I was so impressed with its electric-only performance, I had to have the real deal. Apparently you can have an add-on V6TwinTurboIntercooledPowerUnit as an optional accessory (but they'll need the car for 9 months to strengthen the body."

Edited to change History.
Last edited by whimpurinter on Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
wattsaname
Noobie

Post by wattsaname »

bladecar wrote: Yes, you're right. I forgot that people might run the car on electricity only, at times, and that would be new for them.

I suppose it would either entice them towards a battery car, or be proof to them that a battery only car is a gutless, short-term wonder :)

That's pretty much why I am considering a PHEV right now. I need to update my 9 year old petrol powered 4WD this year and want to downsize to a new "latest technology" sedan. I've already started the mindshift to move to a more environmentally friendly way of living but am too cautious to go straight into a full on EV. Hence, "dipping my toe in the water" is the way to go for me and, if that works, in a year or so time I'll be trying to get my partner to turn an ageing SUV into full electric and hopefully when the infrastructure and Govt support improves eventually go to full electric myself Image

By doing heaps of internet research and joining forums like this one I am quickly convincing myself to take the step and try something new (until 12 months ago I had no idea that viable EVs even existed - had never heard of Leaf, Tesla, i3, 330e, A3, etc - this probably sounds unbelievable to other forum members but I am now a lot more knowledgeable than most of most of my friends and associates but do plan to change all that when I buy a PHEV.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi Wattsaname,

You're always in my mind. I'll never forget wattsaname (old man's ramblings:))

From my point of view, you told a wonderful story.

This is why I'm moving on a bit and starting to put in that little-old question. I wonder what percentage of forum users have an actual electric vehicle, or at least a phev.

As the character Gladstone said in "The Thin Blue Line", Sex, sex, sex, that's all I hear about. Those who have it don't talk about it. And I should know. I talk about it all the time."
wattsaname
Noobie

Post by wattsaname »

bladecar wrote: I wonder what percentage of forum users have an actual electric vehicle, or at least a phev.

Of the contributors to this thread, so far it's 80% Image

Perhaps the question needs to be raised as a separate topic to draw from a larger audience ?

P.S. I am too old to remember much about the topic of which Gladstone spoke Image
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

How many ev owners and drivers/riders could be a topic on this site.

I'm sure the people here don't want to pressure anyone as this site at least talks about electric vehicles and people who visit it at least have some interest in electric vehicles.

But as Neil Young might have said "There comes a time".

We all know how many ev participants, as opposed to onlookers, there are. We all know that by reflecting on the number of ev's we have passed in the street recently.

I can only hope that this is still the time when the water is receding, as it does, before the tsunami appears on the horizon.

There is a feeling as if we're at the meeting in "The Life of Brian" where they're having yet another meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YawagQ6lLrA

I'll tell you now. I am not impressed with the number of ev's on the road VS the seeming number of people interested in the subject.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-25/c ... at/7657672

"Professor Qin says the world has to do more to avert a potential crisis.

"But the scientists are discovering another factor that is causing the big melt: pollution from vehicle exhaust and coal burners is now making its way up to the region."

"We calculated the dust and the black carbon: two of them could cause around 50 per cent of melting."

But enough of that.