Chris' E-Max 110S (Pb to Li)

Other Production EV's including motorbikes, and cars by smaller manufacturers
Vale
Noobie

Re: Chris' E-Max 110S (Pb to Li)

Post by Vale »

Dear Terry - Did you notice my Emax posted under "Rossi's Motogp Ebike"? I also bought mine from Patrick last year - his personal bike. It had already been covered to LiFePO4 power pack (70A) with 16 x 3.2V cells. I love it! I ride it everywhere, even though I have a few "Real". Bikes (Old technology Internal Combustion Engines) in the garage!. Mods I have made include: Relocating the SEVCON controller to the empty rear battery compartment to make room for my helmet under the seat; replacing the main beam headlight for a low power 12V daylight running lamp (LED garden globe from Bunnings) which only uses 5W; incorporation of a LED voltmeter on the dash so that I know exactly the volts left in the battery. I also had a problem with a valve ripping out of the inner tube the other day. This is a common problem, but a valve repair kit is available from Remarriages Tiptop (Welshpool) part number 5010040 for $10 - its like a large patch with a valve in the middle that you can glue over the hole in the old inner tube with rubber cement whilst you source another inner tube from the USA! To prevent this happening, keep the tyres well inflated (40 psi) - this increases range as well! I was interested in your comment about reprogramming the SEVCON control for higher top speed, but my main problem is not top speed - its strong headwinds and steep hills, when I sometimes slow to 55 kph! I would like to know how to reprogram the controller so it always starts on MAX though. Any ideas how to do this? All the best, Vale.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

"replacing the main beam headlight for a low power 12V daylight running lamp (LED garden globe from Bunnings) which only uses 5W;" I find a lot of these daylight globes blinding. Also led push bike lights. I have an led spotlight that bolts onto my rifle and it is only rated at 3 watts.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Vale wrote: Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 15:09 Dear Terry - Did you notice my Emax posted under "Rossi's Motogp Ebike"? I also bought mine from Patrick last year - his personal bike. It had already been covered to LiFePO4 power pack (70A) with 16 x 3.2V cells. I love it! I ride it everywhere, even though I have a few "Real". Bikes (Old technology Internal Combustion Engines) in the garage!. Mods I have made include: Relocating the SEVCON controller to the empty rear battery compartment to make room for my helmet under the seat; replacing the main beam headlight for a low power 12V daylight running lamp (LED garden globe from Bunnings) which only uses 5W; incorporation of a LED voltmeter on the dash so that I know exactly the volts left in the battery. I also had a problem with a valve ripping out of the inner tube the other day. This is a common problem, but a valve repair kit is available from Remarriages Tiptop (Welshpool) part number 5010040 for $10 - its like a large patch with a valve in the middle that you can glue over the hole in the old inner tube with rubber cement whilst you source another inner tube from the USA! To prevent this happening, keep the tyres well inflated (40 psi) - this increases range as well! I was interested in your comment about reprogramming the SEVCON control for higher top speed, but my main problem is not top speed - its strong headwinds and steep hills, when I sometimes slow to 55 kph! I would like to know how to reprogram the controller so it always starts on MAX though. Any ideas how to do this? All the best, Vale.
Tearing the valve out of the inner tube resulted in me spending a week in a Newcastle hospital getting my left arm from the elbow down rebuilt because the arteries were torn out along with the flesh and some of the nerves. That was on a Norton 750 Commando riding through the windy roads coming into Dungog so I'm guessing it wasn't quite as dramatic on the Emax :lol: I ended having to use rim locks like the scramble bike riders use to stop the rim turning inside the tyre.
As far as the Emax slowing on hills, I have a Chinese electric moped scooter here in the workshop that really struggled on the hills with the lithium 48v battery, it was a get off and walk with the lead acid batteries so it was at least better. I added another 3.2v cell to reduce the voltage drop and that did wonders for the hill climbing and top speed. I often thought about adding another 3.2v cell but I'm not sure that the smoke won't come out and the thing is so unstable I'd be even crazier than I am now to risk it reaching even higher speeds :roll:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn