R-Link - What Does It Do - If Anything?

Renault EV Interest Group
smithy2167
Groupie

R-Link - What Does It Do - If Anything?

Post by smithy2167 »

As the new owner of a Zoe, I'm interested in remotely monitoring the vehicle, if possible.

I've installed R-Link on a PC and registered an account on the R-Link Aus store : https://au.rlinkstore.com/authentication.
I've registered the Zoe on the store via it's VIN, although it's unclear what's an Oh and what's a Zero (i.e. ... VYF0K07 ...) - both zero I think.
The Zoe shows that it's connected in the Network status menu.
I only have Speed Cameras highlighted in Navigation Services - all else greyed out.
I did have R-Store access in the car with Euro maps for sale (useful - not), although that seems to have disappeared for the moment.
R-Link on the PC shows no updates available and no applications of any apparent use.

The MyRenault Android App says it's not compatible with any of my (Samsung) devices. I've had this problem before caused by a US Currency setting, but it could also be a regional block.

After removing my SD card to read the card ID on the PC, I ended up with a corrupted SD card. Found a "Remove SD" menu button afterwards ... not mentioned in Renault's tutorial.
Dealer replaced card under warranty after much chin scratching, but were very little help with R-Link - not helped by COVID. Seems once they've got your money ...

So, at the moment, R-Link seems like purely a Tom-Tom map updated facility over "Sneakernet" (i.e. take SD card to PC). Is there supposed to be more?
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
fracaco
Noobie

Re: R-Link - What Does It Do - If Anything?

Post by fracaco »

I was wondering the same. From what I can find the app to use with the ZOE is the myrenault app but it is not available in the Australian store.
spod
Noobie

Post by spod »

Yes, had a look and couldn't find it in the Playstore either. I also noticed today on the Renault website that there's no info about warranties or servicing requirements on the Zoe, almost like they have decided to abandon it (obviously consumer law requires they uphold the warranty of course).
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

could try side loading the rlink app via apk. it likely won't work though, if the car has no cellular network access.

This is from the Uk, re servicing:
The service schedule on a Zoe is:
Every 1 year or 18,000 miles - Pollen filter change and alternate between an A or B inspection
Every 3 years - Replace 12V auxiliary battery
Every 54,000 miles - Check and remove dust from brake linings
Every 4 years or 72,000 miles - Replace brake fluid
Every 5 years or 90,000 miles - Replace coolant
Every 6 years - Check and top-up refrigerant
The A inspection consists of:

Check the levels, condition and sealing of the brake circuit
Check the exterior lighting and signals
Check the condition and sealing of the shock absorbers
Check condition and pressure of the tyres and road wheel security
Check the presents of the wheel valve caps
Check the wear of the brake discs and pads
Check the wiper blades and screen washer fluid level
Check the 12V battery with test tool
Check the computers with the diagnostic tool
Reinitialise the maintenance service display
Documentation and positioning of the maintenance label
The B inspection adds the following to the above:

Check the interior lighting
Anti-corrosion check
Check and lubricate the bonnet lock
Check the levels, condition and sealing of the coolant circuit
Check the condition and sealing of the gaiters, rubber mountings, ball joints and shock absorbers
Check the condition of the windscreen and door mirrors
Check the presence of the airbag and engine compartment labels
Check the operation of the instrument panel warning lights
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
spod
Noobie

Post by spod »

Excellent info, thanks, should have gone to the UK site. Odd that there's nothing at all on the Oz site, given they've now sold 100 or so and have to service them.
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

I've had the following through RLink over the past 2.5yrs:

a. In car system software updates- twice
b. Tom Tom map updates. Using SD card. A few times.
c. Various Apps such as email and weather.
d. Speed cameras and real time congestion road information (including re-routing).

If your car does not have network access, check a couple of things:

1. Has your subscription expired?
2. Has your TCU failed ? TCU holds the SIM and does the internet access. Network Status should show "Connected".

Incidentally, folks in Europe have some things that we do not. For instance, timed charging and remote access to charging info. I gave up trying to get Renault Aus to make this work but no point now. Instead my OpenEVSE is network connected and I use that as a substtiute to the Renault server monitoring charging, sending charging emails et al.

Re SD cards, they are quite costly. I made a copy using Linux and dd. The copy works perfectly in the car or on computer. A useful backup.

Regds,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

@doggy, what year is your Zoe? Mine is a (new) 2019 model. Is it possible some minor things may have changed?

Mine gives all the appearance of being connected, and says so in the status menu. I'm not sure how to tell if any remote updates have happened.

Also, what subscription are you referring to? Is this the R-Link registration online?

Email and Weather do not work, nor does real-time congestion. Red light camera warnings do work, though.

it would be nice to have some form of remote connectivity - even just Bluetooth. I'd like to extract the battery SOC so I can limit the charge level to ~80% when a long trip is not planned.

I tried several methods for making an image of the SD card and writing that to another card, without success. The car repeatedly said "Maps not found". R-Link on the PC displays the SD card serial number, so I wonder if they are now keying on that too. If that's the case, then a backup could only really be restored to the original card. Changing the serial number on an SD card from the factory setting is very difficult, if not impossible. So, if the original SD card is lost or toasted, game over.
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Backing up the SD card continues to work on my car. However I do have a 2017 model so if you have 2019 then they might be using a different method.

The information screen tells you about updates. Press the "i" button.

Given you have a 2019 model, your R-Link subscription should be valid for at least a couple more years. You can see the expiry date on all the software licences in one of the Rlink menus. Cannot remember which sub menu item, but check them out and you'll find it. It tells you what you have and when they expire.

The SOC is shown on the car's battery meter. Divided into 8 segments and it is accurate. Perfectly adequate for charging. If you want the actual figure to the nearest fraction of a percent, then put CanZE on your phone and get a suitable OBD to bluetooth dongle. This will also give you SOH which you cannot get from the in-car displays. The service place can give it to you, but I prefer to be able to see it for myself.

I'm not sure why your weather, email et al do not seem to work. I lost these and other services when my TCU failed. However it was very clear the car was "Disconnected" when that happened.

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

Time passes and on 23/12, the Zoe popped up with activation notices saying I now have one year of Tom Tom Live and R-Link. Given I bought the car in October, that's taken a while to filter through!

Anyway, I still can't get updates to the Tom Tom maps. It shows version Australia v1010 v8933 that appears to be a 2018 map.

I've register for R-Link, added the vehicle, installed R-Link on the PC and plugged the SD card in. It did a minor (small) update, but otherwise says "No Updates Available".

Is there anything special that needs to be done to get the Tom Tom update? Do I need to make a (presumably no cost) purchase of the Aus map?
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Hi Dave, the latest R-Link update (which includes the Aus map) should be dated July 2019. Sorry but I do not have the version number handy (down about 70 steps to the garage). There was one in about May 2019 which updated the map and also fixed a GPS rollover problem. Then the update in July. As of last week, it seems the July one is still the latest. My car was bought in July 2018 then there were a couple of updates to RLink later in the 2018. Then nothing until the May '19 update.
At least, that is the sum total of my experience.
A purchased Tom Tom subscription for tablet/phone provides at least a couple of updates per year so I think the Zoe ones are really dragging the chain.

Assuming you have the Australian Map functioning in your Zoe, then you do not need to "purchase" anything else.

Regds,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the information.

I had the idea that updates to the maps would be provided free for a period - perhaps for the duration of the Tom Tom Live subscription - so that at least I'd have the latest maps with my new vehicle. So, I emailed the R-Link help desk (in the UK) for clarification.

Turns out I was right - to an extent. Apparently one update can be downloaded up to 90 days after the vehicle is delivered. Only problem is that my vehicle is shown in Renault's records as having been delivered in July, which is interesting given that the date on the Compliance plate is August. I didn't take delivery until early October. I can only assume that when Renault passed the cars across to the Used division, they marked them as delivered then.

So, my only option is to purchase a subscription ... or use Waze.

Regards,
Dave
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Hi, that's interesting about the 90 days.

So, do you have Tom Tom live services (POIs, traffic conditions, speed and red light cameras) but NOT map updates?

I think things have changed a bit since our 2017 vehicles (purchased in 2018). My licences are all still valid for some time yet. I THINK they still include map updates but maybe not! Certainly all the other things are still working and have licence validity.

However, I DID pay $55,000 for our Zoe so you still would have got a bargain with yours.

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

doggy wrote: Sat, 09 Jan 2021, 13:57 So, do you have Tom Tom live services (POIs, traffic conditions, speed and red light cameras) but NOT map updates?
That would seem to be the case.
doggy wrote: Sat, 09 Jan 2021, 13:57 However, I DID pay $55,000 for our Zoe so you still would have got a bargain with yours.
Yes, I guess there'd be some cutbacks.
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

I just did some checking and my Australia map is only version 1000 and shown as "purchased" in July of 2018 (which is when I received the vehicle). I cannot find out when it was published, but likely prior to July 2018. So it is quite old. As the car is about August 2017 construction, this might be the age of the map (or even older).

I checked my Renault account and found the latest Map available is dated 28/2/2020. The version number is now 1015.9146.

The latest Rlink update is 11.346 (which I have). Smithy2167 is correct about map updates. You purchase them when you want to. The old map retains validity and is still usable.

Current price of an updated map is 64.90 Euros. I need to decide whether I buy it now, knowing it is already 11 months old or wait until the next version is available. If they are yearly, the next one would be 28/2/2021. So I might wait until the start of March. Perversely, the price is shown in euros even though the website is in an Australian subdomain. Fortunately, I have a French Bank Account so when the time comes I can avoid any further exchange costs.

I would be interested to know what version map is in these recently sold Zoes. Maybe you are all lucky and have a Feb 2020 copy?

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Okay, a bit more info. I have found that version 1000 Tom Toms were issued in about April 2018, so in fact quite new when I bought my Zoe. But rather out of date now.

Normally, the updates are yearly (for Renault). I hope this continues even with Zoe discontinued here. After all, they will be doing all the other Renault updates for Oz so the chances are good.

But I just had a thought about the newer Zoes. Can you activate Android Auto? If so, you can have whatever Nav program you want. People in the UK have 5 GPS programmes. On my Peugeot, I replaced the head unit with an Android unit and I have five there as well. My normal use one is Tom Tom GO with 4 updates per year.

I know I can do hardware changes on my vintage Zoe RLink to enable Android but I am not going to contemplate that whicle under warranty. Perhaps after....

In the meantime, I am hoping there will be a February 2021 Zoe Tom Tom map update.....

Hm, just found some interesting info on the Tom Tom Aus support pages. Here is a list of all revisions:

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-au/articl ... on-devices

Now I do not know if the 1000, 1015 et al Renault numbers match the Tom Tom ones, but it is highly likely.

V1000 November 2017 from Tom Tom. So that fits with a later Renault release date and with the age of my car.

V1015 August 2018 from Tom Tom. So this implies the map dated Feb. 2020 might actually be August 2018!

V1060 November 2020 is the latest map available from Tom Tom.
....of course the Renault R-Link-Tom Tom and TomTom numbers might be different systems....but I doubt it!

Regds,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

I have found further information confirming the R-Link and Tom-Tom maps use the same numbering schemes (at least for my old version of R-Link). It could be different for the latest Zoes sold in Australia (which may have been fabricated in 2019?)
So the currently available map dated February 2020 (when released by Renault) is actually TomTom map data from somewhere in the period June to August 2018!
Who knows if there will be a further update.......but if you buy v1015 which is current in the R-Link store, you are getting map data that is about 18 months old!
Regds,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

Hi Dave,

Mine is one of the "new" 2019 models sold off recently by Renault. It has a v1010 map which dates from May 2018.

And yes, as per my throwaway line at the end of my last post, I could instead use Android Auto and fire up Waze or Google Maps.

My gripe really is that, on the Renault web site: https://easyconnect.renault.com.au/page ... link-store
under the heading "Renault EASY CONNECT - Multimedia & Navigation Australia",
it says "Take to the road with confidence: map updates are free for three years following the purchase of your new vehicle".
Hence the reason I was expecting free map updates for the remainder of the 3-year Factory Warranty period for the vehicle.
If these updates instead cost 64.90E each (or is that for a year?), that's a significant amount.

When I queried the Renault Multimedia and Navigation Helpline (in the UK) about this, they pointed me to the R-Link User Manual where, on page 39, there is the "Latest Map Guarantee" which says "After delivery of your new vehicle you have about 60 days in which to update the map free of charge. Once this time has elapsed, you will need to pay for updates." She said currently it's 90 days, but same outcome - given they say the vehicle was "delivered" in July.

The "Latest Map Guarantee" clause is tucked away in the bottom corner of page 4 of 5 of "Entering a Destination" ... I wonder why I missed that.
Perhaps because it's not where it should be (SD Card section), not in the Table of Contents, not in the Index.

So, I've stirred them up by mentioning Australian Consumer Protection laws and misrepresentation of products. I'll see what happens.
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

So at the VERY minimum, you should be able to download the 1015 map.

The 64.90 is for that copy of the map. No updates!

Good luck with arguments about laws...

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017