Zoe Charging at ChargeFox

Renault EV Interest Group
dBags
Noobie

Zoe Charging at ChargeFox

Post by dBags »

I have just taken delivery of a Zoe. Ordered Thurday last week from Essendon. Picked up on Tuesday!

I headed out to Airport West Melbourne to try and charge it. No luck. Tried 3 stations, rang support and they tried a few things but all failed.
The charges have CCS2 plugs so I used the Type 2 extension lead to connect the Zoe to the CCS2 plug. Is that allowable?

The car flashes the blue led, waits a while, then goes red. The dash says check connection. Tried for about an hour....

Does anyone have any wisdom they can share with me?
antiscab

Re: Zoe Charging at ChargeFox

Post by antiscab »

sadly, the type 2 lead isn't an extension, the pins are purposely recessed so it can only be plugged into a charge station

Not all CCS2 stations will actually supply AC to the plug - CCS2 is generally only used on DC charge stations, which the Zoe can't use
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
dBags
Noobie

Post by dBags »

Thanks antiscab.
I searched the web looking for that answer. Thanks for providing it.
I noticed the pins recessed and wondered if that was a fault!

I live inner melbourne and are so surprised there isn't a lot of charging options. Today I tried

jet charge north melbourne : occupied (but not charging)
kmart moonee ponds: carpark closed.
chargefox airport west: incompatible.

Hopefully the portable charger I ordered will arrive soon. Fingers crossed.
2019 Renault Zoe
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Hi David,

Welcome to the bright side. If not already done, download the PlugShare app on your phone, setup an account (free) and select the connectors compatible with your Zoe. The only one you can use with the Type 2/Type 2 cable supplied with your Zoe is the “Menezes (Type 2)” connector. With an adaptor you would be able to use the “J-1772” (Type 1) connectors but as the Type 2 connector is becoming the dominant one, I can’t see the point in buying an adaptor unless your most convenient public charger is a Type 1.

As mentioned, the Zoe can charge at up to 22kW AC but not at all using the DC fast chargers.
Some good places to charge are the 16 chargers under the Heidelberg Woollies, or the newly installed charging station on Edward St of Sydney Road in Brunswick. There you will find 2 DC fast chargers not compatible with the Zoe and 2 7kW AC (could even be 22kW?) chargers with cables (the Woolies chargers are BYO cable). Other good chargers for the Zoe would be the 22kW AC on Bell St (Coburg Town Hall) or the one on David St in Brunswick. And best of all, all those and many more are free to use.

The other thing you will need is an NFC card from Chargefox as some chargers located in underground car parks have terrible mobile reception.

All the best,
Patrick
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
dBags
Noobie

Post by dBags »

Thanks Patrick,

I might have a drive around today and check out the chargers. I was so surprised the Zoe didn't come with a portable charger. Would have made transitioning my wife to EV much easier!

I've heard that only using a portable charger on the Zoe is bad for the batteries. Is that fact or rumour?
And thanks for the tip on the NFC card. Never thought of that.

David
2019 Renault Zoe
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 59
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
fracaco
Noobie

Post by fracaco »

On the plugshare website (don't know about the app) you can filter by connector type. That will save you having to drive around checking out the plugs on the chargers.

FYI Australian Teslas come with a type 2 plug so you can use any "Tesla destination charger" too. Just select "Type 2" and"Tesla" on the plugshare website
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

fracaco wrote: Wed, 21 Oct 2020, 05:00 FYI Australian Teslas come with a type 2 plug so you can use any "Tesla destination charger" too.
Unfortunately, not all Tesla destination "chargers" will work with non-Tesla vehicles. Usually the older ones will. You can check previous checkins on a site to see if they were able to charge their non-Tesla there.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=5717

Look for chargers with Tesla part number ending in 00/01
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 59
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211