No more Zoe in Australia

Renault EV Interest Group
doggy
Groupie

Re: No more Zoe in Australia

Post by doggy »

Ah well, more than I thought. That will increase the installed base somewhat.
Regds,
Dave
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

After hearing from this group about the "clearanced" Zoe, I passed it on to my extended family WhatsApp group, and what came back was priceless enough that I thought I should share.
From my cousing in Perth calling one of the Renault dealership (don't know which one):

"Hello, I’m calling to enquire about the Zoe.
  • The what?
The Zoe model.
  • I’m sorry is that a Renault?
Yes it’s your electric model.
  • Oh! Let me put you through to our sales department.
  • (Hold music)
Hi I’m calling to enquire about your Zoe model.
  • Which model?
Zoe.
  • Let me check....(as in WTF is that??)
  • Uhh... we don’t have any.
Are there any available in W.A. ?
  • No."

3 in stock at Renault dealers according to CarSales :roll:

My call to Renault Geelong was marginally better (helping my uncle to join the club):

"Hi, I'm calling about the Zoé you're selling.
  • Yes, I have 2. (1 point for VIC)
What charging cable does it come with?
  • I have no idea. (-1 point for VIC)
  • But I tell you what, the last customer who bought one seemed to be a very knowledgeable chap. I'll call him and ask.
  • (5 points for thinking outside the square, and 5 points just for having the balls to tell me that)
Would that be Bryce by any chance?
  • Yes ?!? How do you know?
We're both part of AEVA.
So don't bother I'll call him myself..."

No completely surprising they didn't sell that well... Double :roll:
But thanks to this group of "knowledgable chaps", my cousin got scared and passed, but my uncle is a happy owner of a white one from Renault Geelong, delivered on a truck to his place, despite having never tested or even sat in one. And a 22kW Zappy charger. That makes 4 EVs in my "small" extended family so far. It's contagious :D

So I feel a bit of pressure looking after him, and would like to ask you all about regen. My uncle having only tried my Kona before was wondering if the regen can be adjusted to stronger than "default"? I'm guessing not as from my limited research, no YouTubers talk about it.
And could one of you confirm that the Zoe can charge from the Tesla destination chargers that would also charge a Kona or Ionic?
Actually a better question, which brand can use the "universal" Tesla destination chargers?

Thank you all in advance.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi Patrick-Zoe regen is fixed as far as I know (for some reason, I don't get much chance to swipe the Zoe off my partner to play to play with it a bit more, 😆 but can't find anything in the manua on altering regen). Regen BTW is on braking rather than accelerator so it seems like it isn't there, but it is. Guessing they deliberately make it that way to seem more like an ICE drive for newbies for whom a Zoe is their first EV.
Zoe will charge from same chargers as Kona etc: but if a 3 phase one you will get 11 or 22kW. ☺
Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Yes, regen is fixed.
It is proportioned about one third on accelerator and two thirds on the brake pedal.
So, when you lift off the accelerator, you get regen which will go up to 15 to 16kW.
As you then start to press the brake pedal, you get more regen and it maxes out at a total of 43kW which is very decent being twice the max charge rate and equal to the charge rate for the European Renault Zoe Q model.
The accelerator pedal regen is equivalent to a small amount more than a diesel car.
This all makes it very similar to an ICE car to drive, particularly a turbo diesel.
Of course, it is much bbetter in other ways........
After two and a half years we have zero brake disk/pad wear (as measured by the dealer) and never had any grubby dust on the wheels. Another big plus for the environment. So, if you drive conservatively the friction brakes are hardly used.
If you want to be enthusiastic, you can use CanZE with an OBD dongle and see the braking and regen in real life (better and legal to record on the graph and stop the car before looking at the graph!)
Regards,
Dave
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Thank you all. It looks like I will be able to visit and try the Zoe soon.
Bit of a shame about the fixed regen though. But I guess it highlights one more time that the Hyundai paddle system is Fantastic. Especially the pull and hold to a full stop will be very hard to live without in my I.D.4. Or will it be in the Enyaq?
Emailed both brands and both had the same response of “No idea when or even if the car will come to Australia” :(
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Yes, ditto on Hyundai paddles and settings. One of the Kona's best features is the selectable regen and being mostly on the accelerator. They really thought that one through well!
Zoe is an earlier gen EV plus aimed at first movers into EVs. With a 40kWh battery, it's still a bloody good EV! They did pick the wrong side going 22kW AC charging though. (They realised that with the ZE50-new Zoe has CCS DC as an option).
Re ID.4, don't quote me, but I think it is loosly slated for here late 2022 or early 2023.
Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter