Post by g4qber »

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... D-19124065

Finally arrived at Wanneroo Renault.

10 Zoes. Spoke with Darren.

Wall box included through Jetcharge.
Attachments
5D6E19EE-F96E-4617-9336-D0403BB377AE.jpeg
5D6E19EE-F96E-4617-9336-D0403BB377AE.jpeg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 1066 times
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 03 Oct 2020, 14:51, edited 2 times in total.
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 59
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
rhills
Site Admin

Re: No more Zoe in Australia

Post by rhills »

The handwritten sign is a bit confusing. I am guessing that the park sensors are an additional $650, but what about the "incl charger installation, $3000"? Does that wording mean that the charger installation is $3000 extra, or it is worth $3000, but included in the $39257.75 total? Knowing how car selling usually works, I'd assume it's $3000 on top of the $39257.75!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Oct 2020
Total Petrol: 756.3L
ODO: 67508
Av Consumption: 1.12 L/100km
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Car charger included in drive away price.
Family friend obsessed with front sensors, hence asked for a quote.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Thanks @g4qber, that makes the discount even bigger! Interestingly, when I go through Renault's website, it appears I can still buy a Zoe from Magic Renault (in Melville) for the special price of $55,426 drive away :?:

BTW, is there any Zoe owner on here who has parking sensors that can comment on how effective they are?

We had front sensors included on our Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV when we bought it new and we've found them worse than useless. The rear parking sensors and camera work brilliantly, a complete contrast to the front sensors. The front ones beep annoyingly when they aren't needed/useful (for example sitting at some traffic lights! - always the same ones for some reason, even when there's nothing in front of us!!) and sometimes fail to beep when they might actually be useful.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Oct 2020
Total Petrol: 756.3L
ODO: 67508
Av Consumption: 1.12 L/100km
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Rear sensors are great. I had never heard of front parking sensors until today. Brings whole new meaning to drive by sonar
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Kona Highlander comes with front sensors as standard. Suspect the front ones for the Zoe are aftermarket and probably not as well integrated, hence the problems. (Same issue with Renault Megane and Fluence in family. Both 2011 models and basically the same car in hatch and sedan version. Fluence has factory ones - which work brilliantly; Megane ones are aftermarket and are basically useless).

Also - $3k for a Mode 3 EVSE fitted is a bit steep - should start from $1500 ish depending on EVSE choice and installation situation.

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
spod
Noobie

Post by spod »

coulomb wrote: Thu, 01 Oct 2020, 19:29
spod wrote: Thu, 01 Oct 2020, 12:04 Zoe arrived this morning,
Congrats! But, did it come from Launceston or Victoria?
Victoria, Essendon Renault wouldn't let us back out of the deal without penalties.

Just going off in a few mins to get it registered, have a stupid question. Fitting the plates to the front is simple, just drill into the plastic moulding, but on the rear there is only the flat tailgate with two anti-slip black dots. Obviously these are where you are meant to drill into, but it seems a bit evil drilling into a brand new car, how have others fixed their rear plates on?
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

The ex demo Zoe at Melville Renault, Perth is in the 'want it gone' camp. The sales guys were saying $40k drive away, but I reckon they'll take $35k.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
spod
Noobie

Post by spod »

Well, there's still a fair few on carsales, they really are quite a bargain. We just did the trip into town to register it, all good, just have to put the plates on and wait for the EVSE to turn up, but we have a few more trips in reserve until we need to charge. The trip in was bizarre, we left with 265km on the guessometer and by the time we got to Burnie (we are in Ridgley at 300m elevation, Burnie is at sea level), we had 272km range, so we used -1kWh or thereabouts to travel 17km. Of course, the trip back chewed through a few electrons, 209km now, but will recover some more on the next trip.

So basically, the meter went down 56km and we travelled 40 something (it wasn't a straight there and back, had to detour to services Tas), but overall, we are very happy with the Zoe after its first trip. Even the low power 68kW motor takes off very nicely when you plant the foot a bit, the electric torque is great fun.
spod
Noobie

Post by spod »

jonescg wrote: Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 08:35 but I reckon they'll take $35k.
They probably will, I reckon Renault must be close to making a loss on these anyway.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

fleets have to buy new?
Perhaps a few fleets can snap them up?

Interestingly the stamp duty is calculated on new price.
Jackmoz
Noobie

Post by Jackmoz »

We have just bought a Pearl White one from Ballarat :)

$36169 Inc delivery to Adelaide, 25km on the clock.

Getting it delivered to Adelaide hopefully next week.
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Well done Jack! At those prices, they are hard to beat for a value EV with range.
Cheers
Bryce
wfdTamar
Noobie

Post by wfdTamar »

Hi. New member. I live near Launceston, Tas and there's been a price drop on a demo Zoe they have (I think in Launceston) to $32990 plus on roads. It's done 1300 kms.

They had been advertising the new ones for $35990+ or $36,990 drive away.

So that's a reasonable amount for a 1300 km demo, but are these just potential trouble long term given Renault Aust have dropped them? Surely they're either going to have terrible resale value, or be a nightmare to support if you keep it long term? I wonder how long they'll keep parts in stock in the country. If you, for example, hit an animal and need front bumper parts, but they have to come from France how long will it take and cost? With less than 100 in the country ten years on would you have to import anything required?
fracaco
Noobie

Post by fracaco »

wfdTamar wrote: Wed, 21 Oct 2020, 11:25 If you, for example, hit an animal and need front bumper parts, but they have to come from France how long will it take and cost? With less than 100 in the country ten years on would you have to import anything required?
Speaking from experience the chances of you needing to wait for months for a part are pretty low. Obviously the older the car the higher the chances. Regarding accidents you'd have to take a pun because you never know, plus you can drive defensively...

My experience
2000 Honda Insight - owned for 4 years (50k kms), only part needed was a wheel skirt screw.
2004 Smart Roadster (only 150ish in Australia) - Owned for 7 years (70k kms). Only imported part was an optional rear spoiler
wfdTamar
Noobie

Post by wfdTamar »

I have a 5 year old Citroen and recently (just prior to Covid) had to wait about 4-5 months for parts. That was seat pads as the front seat heaters had gone. Replaced under warranty, but it cost them $3000 for each seat pad.

Even driving defensively doesn’t guarantee you won’t ever need a part. Maybe now you can get parts, but 5 or 10 years on I doubt they’ll have many parts in Australia for them (unless they’re common to a Megane).

Has there been any official word from Renault Australia about how long they'll support them?
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - sorry to hear your tale - however consumer law states cars sold new here must be supported for parts for 10 years. (Hence your seat covers were, eventually, replaced - AND at their cost! Well done).

Am guessing PSA wasn't expecting any seats to die, so didn't have stock of such a slow moving item in Australia. Given the Covid stall on overseas freight - am not surprised that it took longer than normal to get them here. (Unfortunate for you though re getting through winter before they arrived!)

Zoes are in the same boat as all the low volume Euro model sales here. For instance, only 316 of my old 1995 Renault Laguna were brought here - but I can still get parts well after 10 years from where there lots more - i.e. France and the UK. (Well the mate I gave the Laguna to can. I gave it away to him after buying the Kona :-) )

Zoe is still the best selling full battery EV in Europe, so parts availability will not be an issue, either before or after the 10 year cut-off for mandatory factory support.

Cheers
Bryce
wfdTamar
Noobie

Post by wfdTamar »

10 years is nothing for a modern car. I’m well used to getting parts from OS. My typical car ownership pattern is to buy a European car a few years old and self service keeping it for a long time if I like it. It’s often cheaper and sometimes faster getting bits from OS. However there are some big parts that’s going to be expensive for - windscreen, bumper, not to mention the battery. Given they only warranty it for 66% at 5 years that doesn’t bode well for anything past 10 years. Some of the earlier Leafs seem to need a battery already - not sure how the Zoe’s compares for longevity. By then you’ll probably only be able to sell a Zoe for parts unless someone works out a battery change option.

BTW, the heated seats dying is one of the most common fault on PSA cars on forum and on quite young cars. Terrible design. It was before Covid so that wait was normal. That’s how long your car could be off the road (though they may put a rush on it, or be more likely to have a part in Australia within that 10 years if it’s essential for the car to run).

Given all that I don’t reckon they’re worth it for any more than high $20k’s. Boy, they really blew their early lead in the EV game in Australia.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

The earliest Zoes are around %80 at 7 years old (the 22kwh ones)
given they were the same chemisty as the leaf, it shows how much a difference thermal management makes
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - battery prices are coming down all the time (early Leaf batteries originally cost $32,000 = now $10,000 - or around $4k for a reconditioned battery in Japan. Sadly you can't get those here... yet :-) )

Zoe goes back to 2013 and the batteries are holding out well - so I'd expect a good 10 years+ of use out of the current one. Warranty is for effectively a catastrophic failure under 5 yrs. Interestingly the Zoe in Europe has an 8 year/160,000 km warranty - so they seem to be confident of them there. Why the Oz Zoe warranty is different at 5yrs/150,000km (and different to all the other Aus delivered EVs who do 8yrs) is a mystery to me though.

Am also expecting plenty of aftermarket battery options by then if the things coming through now re the ZE0 Leaf are any indication - BEVs are just the new-kid-on-the-block when it comes to aftermarket parts - once they are in numbers, the options for batteries (and prices) will grow. EVs definitely won't be dead metal after 10 years!

Cheers
Bryce
wfdTamar
Noobie

Post by wfdTamar »

The warranty length is probably just a calculation they make to ensure they have as close to zero chance of having to honour one. It’s probably the cost of having to air freight one out. In Europe it’s a simple truck delivery. It could cost as much for delivery to here as for the battery (by air). Or the higher temperatures? Lack of mechanics being familiar with warnings signs in smaller markets? Being made in France (higher labour costs than Asia) they probably have to cut any corner to equal the price of their cars.

Even if there is an option, getting it here is still going to cost a heap, but that’s the case for any EV, not just the Zoe.

Anyway that demo one at $33k went as soon as they dropped the price yesterday.
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Incidentally, the battery used in the 2017-2019 Zoes used the same LG cells as in the Kona. It's just that the Kona has 50% more of them!

Given the thermal management on the Zoe, the conservative charging and discharge (particularly with the 68kW motor) plus the headroom designed into the BMS, I am expecting a good long life from the Zoe battery.

Regds,
Dave
Renno
Noobie

Post by Renno »

Just bought one from Wanneroo Renault.
They have a few left, but I would be quick if you are keen. They're all white, but I managed to get one of two with a pearl finish.
Just under $40,000 including the charge box and installation.
They're very good to deal with (so far) and worked out a reasonable trade in on my ten year old Honda Jazz.
Amounts to about $14,000 off the drive away, so pretty happy! They don't service them, however, so we will have to take it to Melville when the time comes.
We already have a 2012 Leaf and the next car had to be electric.
Happy to be a new Zoe owner!
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

At this rate, we'll need to change the name of this thread to 'No more Zoe (for sale) in Australia'!
Cheers
Bryce
wfdTamar
Noobie

Post by wfdTamar »

Was just in at Launceston dealer. The bloke there said Renault Aust had 60 left when they decided to cut and run. Launceston bought 15 - enough to make it worth their while as they'd have had to train mechanic(s) on them (Essendon got 10 and they're gone).