Zoe glitch log

Renault EV Interest Group
spod
Noobie

Zoe glitch log

Post by spod »

Thought I would list any glitches we come across, and the solution, all in one place. At the moment the issues drivers have found with the Zoe are spread through numerous threads, so feel free to add any issues you come across.

Glitch: Turning the car on, able to drive but steering isn't working, feels electrically locked or like the electric steering isn't working. No errors displayed.
Solution: Turn car off and back on again.
antiscab

Re: Zoe glitch log

Post by antiscab »

Glitch: suspected stack overflow, happens when too many instructions happen simultaneously, usually when unlocking and locking several times in a row. fro example when someone tries to open a door as the car is unlocking, so that door doesn't unlock, meaning you have to lock and re-unlock.
Symptoms: loss of control of some functions, indicators not working, low speed sound sounding when it's not supposed to
solution: car comes good after a while.
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
spod
Noobie

Post by spod »

Glitch: Charged the car, then unplugged it, and all was fine, then came back to the garage a couple of hours later to hear the fans running. Looked inside, and the aircon was on, even though the car was off (not started). I opened it, tried turning the fan speed dial to turn it off, and it didn't respond (the auto lights were on on the climate controls). I messed with the fan control a bit more and then the fans turned off and the aircon shut down. The nav screen was also on, as if the car was running, but the car was definitely off, and the comfort timer was also off.

Solution: I turned the car on and off again, and things were back to normal.

I also noticed before charging, when I pressed the charge port release on the remote, the release operated twice, with a second or so between operations (the charge port door opened on the first operation of the release). I don't recall it doing that before either.

Really hoping we didn't get a car with a flaky computer...
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

The charge port release operates twice on my 2017 Zoe whether using the internal or remote button.

Originally, it only operated once. However very occasionally the flap was not fully released and I had to press it again.

The new behaviour has happened since I had a software update a few months ago (in conjunction with other sagas, documented in another thread).

My conclusion is that they changed the software to do it twice so that it always opens. So, I have actually been viewing this as a plus having been caught out occasionally previously when the door did not fully open.

Regds,
Dave
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Regarding the aircon. The heat pump is used to cool the battery if necessary. I have had it stay on after charging when the car was hottish and in the garage on a hot day. It always turned off some time after. Going from Heat Pump to just fans to off.

So maybe this was the case with spod's car (or maybe not)! The Nav screen being on is definitely strange.

Regds,
Dave
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Well that seems like a brute force solution to a poor latch design. Will they increase it to 3 cycles in the future when the latch starts sticking closed even with 2 tries?
Or are Renault expecting it to self clearance over time?
Or are they simply expecting it to be out of warranty by then?
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Yes, but if you have a design which occasionally hiccups (in my case perhaps 1 in 30 times) then a software update which fixes it is easier and cheaper than a mass recall which is hardly warranted and way better than doing nothing.

Very similar to what Tesla does with the OTA updates to correct minor glitches.

Another glitch that Renault fixed (this time with an OTA update) was the TCU very occasionally hanging up. The update (which happened in-car over the internet) was a couple of years ago now and no problems since.

I would rather have a car where they do actually try to correct things rather than leaving the whole system as it was when it came off the factory floor.

An example of something which is poor design and not fixable via software is the spring in the SD card holder. This fails across Zoes and all the Renault range of ICE cars. If you have one (on a 2017 car) which has not failed then I reckon it is worth (with the car off) pressing and releasing the card multiple times to get it to fail so it can be replaced under warranty. If it fails, you can use a piece of thin card to hold in the SD card until it is time for the next service.

Cheers,
Dave
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

In the interests of reporting glitches, here's one that is not really a glitch, but useful for owners to know.

If you plug in the car without the EVSE plugged in, then there is a timeout after which the car does not charge when power is applied to the EVSE.

So, if you are going to charge later, you should initiate the charge then pause or stop it or disconnect the power to the EVSE. You can then resume/initiate the charge any time you like. If there is a time limit, then it is rather long as I have waited 30hrs and it still works.

I found this out because we have 100 steps from the front road to the back garage. I control my charging via WiFi and the OpenEVSE. So, if I drive into the garage, plug in the unpowered EVSE, go to the house and wait several hours before turning on the EVSE, then the car will not charge. If I start the charge or do a very brief charge within 10-20 minutes then all works okay up to at least 30hrs or more.

So, the car timeout is somewhere between 20mins and an hour or so. Cetrainly if I wait 2hrs before the first connection, it is no-go.

Regards,
Dave