New Zoe! Way to get the 15A ZE Ready Portable EVSE?

Renault EV Interest Group
AstroTim
Noobie

New Zoe! Way to get the 15A ZE Ready Portable EVSE?

Post by AstroTim »

My wife just bought one of the last Zoes. We're getting the wallbox installed, but still wouldn't mind having a ZE Ready 15A portable EVSE.

They exist in Europe, there's a picture of one in the manual but local EVSE retailers and Renault haven't been able to help. Does anyone have one or know where to get one?

Cheers, Tim
Tim
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+ with FSD (Available for rent - PM me)
2020 Renault Zoe ZE40 (my wife's)
antiscab

Re: New Zoe! Way to get the 15A ZE Ready Portable EVSE?

Post by antiscab »

ZE Ready is more of a marketing term - the zoe is compatible with all type 2 evse

for one in australia:
https://evse.com.au/product/15-amp-port ... ult-tesla/

this is what I use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281046 ... web201603_

just get a sparky to swap the plug over to an Australian one
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
dBags
Noobie

Post by dBags »

Hi AstroTim
My wife just bought (well me really) a Zoe as well. No portable charger with the vehicle is a real show stopper. 200km left.....
I ordered the EVSE 10A charger which shipped today. I opted for a 10A variety as I'm sure it will get used with an extension cord most aren't of the greatest quality.
I've tried to charge at a commercial charger without success today. Have you had any luck?
2019 Renault Zoe
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

even 10A requires a good quality extension lead - minimum 1.5mm2 conductor size

being able to plug in just about anywhere is great though
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
AstroTim
Noobie

Post by AstroTim »

I was warned of battery problems if only charging at 10A regularly (and the manual https://ie.e-guide.renault.com/sites/de ... 14_ENG.pdf explicitly says it's for occasional use only). I figured I'd go for a 'ZE' one to avoid any potential argument, but I already have a multi tailed EVSE for my Model 3 which complies with the electrical standards etc.

Also, the Tesla UMC is $275USD so $650AUD seems expensive. Surely there's a mass produced model for all the Zoe's sold overseas given its popularity.

Cheers, Tim
Tim
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+ with FSD (Available for rent - PM me)
2020 Renault Zoe ZE40 (my wife's)
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 52
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

AstroTim wrote: Sat, 17 Oct 2020, 03:42 I was warned of battery problems if only charging at 10A regularly (and the manual https://ie.e-guide.renault.com/sites/de ... 14_ENG.pdf explicitly says it's for occasional use only).
Yeah, there's no battery problems resulting from charging at 10A. It's more marketing to make sure the customer experience is more consistently positive.

Charging off a powerpoint relies on that point being able to supply 10A continuous, which depends upon what else is on the circuit (to prevent nuisance CB tripping) and that the wire and connections are still good (a bad connection can last forever if you never plug anything heavier than a computer into it)

I use a 16A Duosida evse that stays at home, on a dedicated 15A powerpoint (16A RCD/CB) and a 10A unit that stays in the car, in case I do need to charge somewhere in a pinch
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Ditto on the recommendation to get an EVSE capable of at least 3.6kW for a Zoe. You could get a switchable one to give you different charging rates so you could do an emergency 10A charge if really needed.

For home charging, definitely put in a dedicated EVSE (preferably 7kW unless you have 3 phase at home). Much more robust plug and (for a Zoe) much more efficient charging at 7kW vs 2.4!

Also: if getting a switchable portable EVSE for travel and occasional other use, have a look at one that does up to 22kW. That way you could then take advantage of the round-Australia AEVA/TOCA 32A/3phase outlet network and fully charge the Zoe in around 2.5hrs.

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
adam lippiatt
Noobie

Post by adam lippiatt »

Is this the same for other / all evs? Higher kw charging speed is more efficient?
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Nope, just a zoe thing.

But to know for certain you'd have to measure different charge rates on each car
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Ditto on that. Just a Zoe thing. The Chameleon charger that only Renault use, and only in the Zoe, is a funny beast that uses the motor controller and motor as the charger rather than a separate AC to DC rectifier. Result is high power AC charging (up to 43kW in some models) - but is quite (read very) inefficient below 3kW - hence why Renault either don't supply a portable EVSE (Australia) or (in Europe) supply one that needs a 15A socket as it charges at over 3kW.
Cheers
Bryce
spod
Noobie

Post by spod »

We just bought one of these for our new Zoe: https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/p ... switchable

I upgraded the garage wiring yesterday, added a 40A RCBO for a future fixed EVSE and a 15A socket with its own RCBO for the portable, so was charging it yesterday and we were sitting above 14A most of the time.

fracaco
Noobie

Post by fracaco »

Hi, we are getting our Zoe delivered sometime next week and have been looking into the charging situation. We are in the fortunate situation that we have access to a free 7kw charger just 4 kms from home so we'll use that initially until we sort out charging at home.

I was looking at getting a 10A charger to charge from the excess solar electricity we generate during the day. We only drive 100-150 kms per week so slow multi- day charging would be an issue. But we also do one or two trips to Canberra every year so faster on the go charging would be nice. I have seen the Juice Booster 2 (from jetcharge.com.au https://store.jetcharge.com.au/collecti ... -booster-2) and whilst expensive it is flexible enough to be plugged into 10A,15A,3phase and caravan outlets which could make weekend trips more feasible.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

Bryce wrote: Sun, 18 Oct 2020, 06:36 Ditto on that. Just a Zoe thing. The Chameleon charger that only Renault use, and only in the Zoe, is a funny beast that uses the motor controller and motor as the charger rather than a separate AC to DC rectifier. Result is high power AC charging (up to 43kW in some models) - but is quite (read very) inefficient below 3kW - hence why Renault either don't supply a portable EVSE (Australia) or (in Europe) supply one that needs a 15A socket as it charges at over 3kW.
Cheers
Bryce
Do I read this correctly?
Renault in Australia does not supply any portable EVSE at all with a new Zoe as standard?
Thinking of buying a Zoe, so what is included as far a charging is concerned? I am upgrading my switchboard for other reasons, so will have 3 phase or at least a 7kW single phase socket.
How does the chamelion know if I plug into a 10 A socket or a 15A, assuming I have 15 a cord and want to do an emergency charge with an Amphibian on a 10 A outlet?
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi Andreas - all EVs know what size charger is plugged in via the signalling from the charger. (Except the very early iMiEVs ... but that's another story!).
EV charging levels start from 6A, so if a charger says it can only provide 6A, the car will set itself to draw only as much as the charger allows via that signal. BTW: the Amphibian does not control that signal. Plugging in a 15A charger via a 10A Amphibian works by limiting the current via the overload setting of the breaker to the time it takes for the overload function to get hot enough to trip. (Drawing 15A on a 10A breaker - that's an hour or two ... )

Unfortunately at low levels between 6 to 15A, the Chameleon charger is very inefficient and will potentially cause the Zoe's internal wiring to get hotter (and for longer) than it would at higher charging rates. Hence not a good idea to do as the primary charging method. Fine for an occasional emergency charge or top-up.

In Australia, Renault supply the Zoe with a Type 2 to Type 2 lead for use with BYO lead EVSEs. (In Europe, you can also get a 15A portable EVSE - but that's another story ...)
The Type2 to Type 2 lead is a very useful thing to have, but not the end of the story. I would suggest adding a portable EVSE to your kit. Choose one at a minimum that you can switch between 10 and 15A. I suggest one that can be switched between more charging rates than that as that will give you the peace-of-mind of being able to use any electrical outlet to its best advantage if caught out :-)

As for EVSE choice for multiple charge rates beyond 10 and 15A: the NRGKick is one, the Giger or Kwik is another. (Later 2 are the same EVSE, but different brand names depending on the supplier!). NRGKick does 1.4kW to 22kW, Giger/Kwik do 2.3kW to 7 or 22 depending on the model.

For normal home charging - a fixed (Mode 3) 7kW (or even 11 or 22 3 phase) will make a Zoe very happy. ;-)

Cheers
Bryce