Route Planning

Renault EV Interest Group
doggy
Groupie

Route Planning

Post by doggy » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 07:57

I am planning a trip Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne-Sydney.

I have a good idea of the Zoe range versus speed and altitude from other trips but would really like something such as the Tesla planner which takes into account altitude at least).

In checking out https://abetterrouteplanner.com, I matched it up with a number of actual longer distance trips involving mostly highway driving at 110km/hr. It also has headwind capability but I did not use that.

I put in 197WHrs/km at 110km/hr for the Zoe which is the planner reference figure and what the Renault calculator has at 20deg. These actual trips were at a variety of temperatures ranging from 10degC to 30degC.

I was quite impressed with the planner results. They were slightly pessimistic (which I like) but really very close to reality. In one case, Zoe TomTom chose a different route which was longer but at lower speeds so the performance beat the planner by a greater margin and that's why the distances are different. Note the estimated kWHrs are almost identical to the reality over 900kms.

There are a lot of altitude changes in these routes and the planner does a good job with that. Certainly better than manual calculation/guessing.

I attach the PDF of the results for your interest.

Best Regds,
Dave
Attachments
route_planner.pdf
(26.38 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

jonescg

Re: Route Planning

Post by jonescg » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 09:57

I'll be interested to hear how the 22 kW charging goes.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 10:09

Hi Chris,
All the trips in this spreadsheet utilised 22kW charging. A mix of 3 phase at showgrounds, ACT 22kW chargers (great scheme with AC and DC chargers) and Tesla DC.
I've never had any problem with 22kW charging (nor do I want to!)
Certainly I do not want your experience!
Regds,
Dave

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 12:04

doggy wrote:
Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 10:09
... and Tesla DC.
I was wondering for a while what amazing adapter there must be to adapt a Tesla Direct Current supercharger to a Zoe.

Then I realised that DC also stands for Destination Charger :oops:
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 12:13

D.C.- correct!
I have actually considered making a big three phase inverter to work from a DC charger and provide AC charging!
Definitely do-able.
However, I've got too many other things to do and it would be somewhat costly.
After warranty expires, it might be interesting to explore adding DC charging to Zoe but I suspect that reverse engineering the BMS details might be rather time consuming.
But a more likely and cheaper scenario is to change our second car (only used for long range cruising to off the beaten path or when I need tow bar and/or roof racks) to a longer range car with DC charging. At the moment, that would be a Tesla or a Kona.
Cheers,
Dave
Cheers,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 10 Sep 2019, 06:07

I had a response from the developer of this excellent route planner. He explained that they set the reference consumption at 10% higher than normal summer settings so that people do not get unpleasant surprises (unexpected headwinds, high temps, low temps, lead feet...) and run out of juice.
Regards,
Dave