Facebook Group

For Tasmanian members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
carnut1100
Groupie

Facebook Group

Post by carnut1100 » Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 18:27

As the newly elected website coordinator (nobody else wanted it!) I have started a Facebook group for members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/968967119792489/

If you want to be added then let me know, it is set to closed so not everybody can join.
I will be doing a public page shortly for spreading the message on.

Chuq
Groupie

Facebook Group

Post by Chuq » Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 18:36

That's great timing... I was having a look through to see what other branches had done!

I couldn't find any groups/pages for any other branches (just the national AEVA page) so I wasn't sure if it was because the national body didn't approve of it, or if none of them had decided to do it :) I also looked at twitter and it seems most other branches DO have an account (AEVA_Sydney, AEVA_Melbourne etc) but have generally been inactive for several years.

My other question was - what do we want to use for electronic communication - mailing lists, forums, facebook group (as you have done!) - all have their advantages and disadvantages but I wouldn't think it would be ideal to have too many different channels to look after.

jonescg

Facebook Group

Post by jonescg » Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 18:40

We already have a National AEVA facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Australi ... ssociation

I made the same mistake and set another national page up, not knowing this one existed. However, there are several other pages specific to branches (Like Brisbane, Canberra etc.) which is great, and certainly relevant to the cause. We link to each other's facebook pages all the time, so it's not an issue. Generally all matters of national interest are published on the abovementioned page.

I can help a little bit with adding content to the AEVA website, but for the most part Rob Hills will be more helpful than me Image
Last edited by jonescg on Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

carnut1100
Groupie

Facebook Group

Post by carnut1100 » Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 19:40

that page doesn't seem to work any more...

Chuq
Groupie

Facebook Group

Post by Chuq » Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 19:48

Hmm! Try https://www.facebook.com/pages/Australi ... 8740467186

jonescg (assume you are a page admin) - you can go to https://www.facebook.com/username to rename the page to something shorter - I notice https://www.facebook.com/AEVA isn't actively being used.

[Update: Appears Facebook has a 5 letter minimum for page name. Can only contain letters, numbers or full stops. How to get around that? AusEVA? AusEV? AEVAssoc? AEVA? AustEVA? AustraliaEV?]
Last edited by Chuq on Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

carnut1100
Groupie

Facebook Group

Post by carnut1100 » Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 23:27

It looks like I already have permission to edit the Branch page on the main website...I will liaise with our secretary for putting updates on there.
I think the mailing list is good, but also the closed group on facebook could be a good place for discussion especially among the working groups on specific issues...or it may die a natural death because nobody uses it!
Either way, a good place for thos with facebook to add content such as photos and videos or links to new info, so we can use that on our public facebook presence and website.

There is a choice to be made regarding our public facebook presence, we can go for an open group which anyone can join, post links to, comment, discuss, ask questions etc (rather like a mini forum in a way) or we can go for a page which people can like and share, but not really interact with as much. More like a website lite....

Adelaide have their own standalone website, with a link on their AEVA page. This is a good idea, but to be honest their site looks a bit average. My wife and I between us have quite a bit of experience with websites on the wordpress platform, and unless there are objections I will put together a nice site for us, link to it on our AEVA page, and try to build it into a good information resource.

rhills
Site Admin

Facebook Group

Post by rhills » Fri, 17 Jul 2015, 07:40

While I believe in state branches being independent, doing your own website separate from the main AEVA website may not be as good an idea as it appears on the surface. It can confuse people, especially those less web-savvy. Also, while you may well have the skills to maintain it, what happens when you no longer have time and/or the energy to do that?

I'd prefer to see people like yourself apply your skills to beefing up your state area of the main AEVA site. I'm happy to provide you with any assistance I can to help you do that.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Jun 2018
Total Petrol: 586.8L
ODO: 42885
Av Consumption: 1.37 L/100km

carnut1100
Groupie

Facebook Group

Post by carnut1100 » Fri, 17 Jul 2015, 14:06

Is there any way we can lift the look of the site?
Can we change the format at all, or is it limited to the blog post style of format?

4Springs

Facebook Group

Post by 4Springs » Fri, 17 Jul 2015, 21:46

rhills wrote: doing your own website separate from the main AEVA website may not be as good an idea as it appears on the surface. It can confuse people, especially those less web-savvy. Cheers,
As a reasonably web-savy person I must admit I was initially confused by the Adelaide section. For some reason I just passed straight over the link on the main site.
Once I did find it I was very pleased - I was looking for agendas and minutes, and they are all there way back to 2008.