Is Tesla getting away with something ?

Tesla EVs Interest Group
Nagaman
Groupie

Is Tesla getting away with something ?

Post by Nagaman »

Tesla boasts that it has more data than any other manufacturer.
It does because the owners are being used as guinea pigs, in a sense.
Has this situation ever occurred before and with apparent government approval ?
I would have thought class action lawyers would be enthusiastically following this temerity(?).
I don’t see Volvo doing it.....or anyone else for that matter, so is this experimental approach now A okay with highway legislators ?
jonescg

Re: Is Tesla getting away with something ?

Post by jonescg »

Is this made abuntantly clear wjen you buy a Tesla?
Cause that's one of a few reasons I didn't get one.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

jonescg wrote: Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 07:25 Is this made abuntantly clear wjen you buy a Tesla?
Yeah, although a genuinely fan, it’s the one thing I find seriously interesting from a ‘bush lawyer’ perspective, and the potential income from phantom braking alone.
It seems to me to the a bit cheeky........to say the least.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

I have the same mixed feelings. We are being tracked by every corporation and their dog already and we cannot avoid it without truly going off the grid and living in a faraday cage. I have a Nokia phone because one "has" to have something and at least that is only Google and not "plus manufacturer" keeping tabs. Even then i mostly turn off as much tracking as i can bare. And i don't use Twitter or Facebook, just Reddit (and this little community (and more recently Disqus), ok i'm becoming a junkie).

Australian legislation for Autonomous Vehicles made a big play at protecting privacy. But its most important aspect was to ensure the Government would get access to the relevant data. (National Transport Commission) So Tesla and Government are hand in glove when it comes to the telemetry data and i'm sure this is part of why we now get FSD updates soon after America. Western Governments cannot get AVs soon enough because it will ultimately (eventually) be cheaper on their budgets and they all are just as hooked on "meta" data as the IT corporates.

The trouble is, i wanted the nerdy stuff more than i didn't want the tracking. And i decided that Tesla is more like old Google than like old Microsoft, that is, they only get involved in intelectual property rights when they have to. After several months debating with myself, i bought in and a year leater am inclined to still trust them.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

Nagaman wrote: Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 06:29 Tesla boasts that it has more data than any other manufacturer.
I would have thought class action lawyers would be enthusiastically following this temerity(?).
I don’t see Volvo doing it.....or anyone else for that matter, so is this experimental approach now A okay with highway legislators ?
The 2012 Nissan LEAFs sold here and overseas collected data and sent it back to Japan for years. Every time you got in the car and turned it on you had to hit the disclaimer button or you could not use any of the functions on the LCD screen. Mine stopped talking to Nissan in April 2018.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

brunohill wrote: Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 19:01
Nagaman wrote: Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 06:29 Tesla boasts that it has more data than any other manufacturer.
The 2012 Nissan LEAFs sold here and overseas collected data and sent it back to Japan for years. Every time you got in the car and turned it on you had to hit the disclaimer button or you could not use any of the functions on the LCD screen. Mine stopped talking to Nissan in April 2018.
Were Nissan trialling beta versions of AV capabilities, because it’s the experimental aspec, using owners as test mules, that I find legally interesting.
Volvo don’t.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

philupandgo wrote: Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 15:17 I have the same mixed feelings. We are being tracked by every corporation and their dog already and we cannot avoid it without truly going off the grid and living in a faraday cage...
Opening can of (philosophical) worms here :geek: .

Is there anything wrong being tracked (if one does nothing wrong)? Let say, those tracking are actually for our own good (i.e. creating safer cars)?

My guess, in the future, these tracking are submitted for insurance purpose (hence, Tesla has their own insurance).

I can see 'self-driving-driver' will be totally prohibited in the future :lol: (I shouldn't laugh...)
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Rusdy wrote: Wed, 16 Dec 2020, 08:26
philupandgo wrote: Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 15:17 I have the same mixed feelings. We are being tracked by every corporation and their dog already and we cannot avoid it without truly going off the grid and living in a faraday cage...
Opening can of (philosophical) worms here :geek: .

Is there anything wrong being tracked (if one does nothing wrong)? Let say, those tracking are actually for our own good (i.e. creating safer cars)?

My guess, in the future, these tracking are submitted for insurance purpose (hence, Tesla has their own insurance).

I can see 'self-driving-driver' will be totally prohibited in the future :lol: (I shouldn't laugh...)
It might be "owner driven vehicles" where the manufacturer retains ownership of the vehicle and leases it to the user under closely monitored supervision via A.I. with serious restriction being in place if the manual controls are used ..... and probably an insurance disclaimer :roll:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

jonescg wrote: Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 07:25 Is this made abuntantly clear wjen you buy a Tesla?
I would be too worried that vandals would attack it.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 927d5d8939