Tesla EVs Interest Group
tidalev
Noobie

Hail Damaged Peformance Model 3

Post by tidalev »

brendon_m

Re: Hail Damaged Peformance Model 3

Post by brendon_m »

Seems like a good deal, but if it's so cheap to fix (relatively) why doesn't the owner fix it and sell it in good nick?
The car came from the ACT hail damage auctions. My cynical guess is the current owner bought it at auction hoping to flip it, transported it to Melbourne, did an assessment on it and realised there is some unmentioned cost to get it back on the road that makes the venture unprofitable and is now trying to bow out before they lose (more) money.

I always get cars in at work that someone has just bought and the previous owner said "it just needs a regas" to get the aircon working. If it's just a $150 regas to get lovely cold air pouring out the vents then why didn't the seller do it. Seems like it would be an easier sell to me.
Spoiler alert, it's never just a regas. Normally they need $1500+ in repairs first.

But that's my 'disenchanted with society' side, maybe it is legitimately a good deal and there's a rational story behind it
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Plus from my observations, a $150 regas rarely fixes the AC anyway...
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
HuffnPuff
Groupie

Post by HuffnPuff »

Can it be re-registered? There could be a problem there.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

HuffnPuff wrote: Thu, 07 May 2020, 10:07 Can it be re-registered? There could be a problem there.
Was it sold as a repairable right off or a Statutory Write off and has Tesla black listed the vehicle?

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
reecho

Post by reecho »

tidalev wrote: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:48 Just saw this pop-up on gumtree:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbour ... 1247346717
Tesla policy dictates not to support any WOVR vehicle. That includes removing any DC fast charging option including non Tesla DC charging and not providing any further software/firmware updates unless mandated by law such as safety updates.

Regardless of the perceived bargain here without ongoing support they are liabilities.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Rather expensive for a parts only purchase that would require an alternate motor controller etc.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Ludicrous+
Noobie

Post by Ludicrous+ »

It was a repairable writeoff and as it was written off in the ACT it can be reregistered but ONLY in the ACT. I believe that this may have been his stumbling block. The car sold for 46k +13% so around 52k. Sounds like he has priced some negotiating room in there trying to recoup his costs.

Whether Tesla has disabled ALL DC charging would remain to be seen.