Unable to repair my Electron V

Technical discussion for the Blade
Bryce

Re: Unable to repair my Electron V

Post by Bryce »

Hi Chris - the problem with Blades is they are, well, not worth fixing unless you are a do-it-yourself sort of person. The cost to pay someone to do it is usually well more than they are worth when finished as they are all different and generally have unique problems built into them. (Plus paying others to work on a Blade will end up costing you more than the cost of buying a more reliable and parts-available older OEM EV). Additionally: even when going, Blades have far inferior range and EV tech than even an old iMiEV or Leaf. Old Leafs in particular are well supported by active communities, parts availability and dealers - plus Leafs themselves are well built and seem likely to last well into the future. If spending the sort of money to have someone work on a Blade - it is quite simply 'throwing good money after bad'. Even after fixing it, you will soon be up for the cost of a new battery pack anyway, as they are all getting quite old and were mostly all poorly battery managed.

I have heard of old Leafs needing new battery packs going for as low as $5k here. I'd suggest saving one of them from going to the tip!

Selling your Blade for parts to someone else with one who does their own work is a useful, non-wasteful end for it. They may even have a controller to fix it with! That in fact was my plan for an old long-range Blade I had here. My conversion van was reaching it's end-of-life, yet still had a good controller - and I had finally worked out how to match the controller to the AZD motor. Sadly Covid intervened and I had to sell the lot, plus my old Leaf, to stay afloat for 6 - 12 months of unemployment. (... ultimately including 6 months of being the full-time organiser of the many, many permutations of AEVA's 2020 EV Vision e-conference before it finally ran! ... but I digress ;-) )

Hope that helps - good luck with your decision making.

Kind regards
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

chris wrote: Mon, 22 Mar 2021, 17:40
Bryce wrote: Mon, 22 Mar 2021, 05:15 The best use for a Blade is as a glider to build your own EV using quality parts - the hard work has already been done and it is easier to reregister it as a repair than a complete new built conversion as the compliance re the battery boxes, engine mounts etc has already been worked through. Repairing the bastards is a pain as you keep finding more build errors and problems waiting to happen as you fix something else. Having owned a Blade, and having been a converter of vehicles myself - I have no regrets about moving on from it to a cheap early Leaf. (And more recently: a Kona :-) )

Cheers
Bryce
Looks like I have a new project. Learn how to install and setup a controller. Thank you for your helpful advice. I was hoping to just pay someone to do it for me.
Sent you a PM yesterday re purchase of the Blade ..... Easier to get a non running EV out of NSW than out of WA .....

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
chris
Groupie

Post by chris »

T1 Terry wrote: Wed, 24 Mar 2021, 08:05 Sent you a PM yesterday re purchase of the Blade ..... Easier to get a non running EV out of NSW than out of WA .....

T1 Terry
I tried to reply but the message appears in the outbox as sent with nothing showing in the sent messages.

Edited Coulomb: fixed quoting.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

chris wrote: Wed, 24 Mar 2021, 19:52 I tried to reply but the message appears in the outbox as sent with nothing showing in the sent messages.
That's normal. When Terry reads your message, it will move from outbox to sent messages. Confusing terminology, outbox should be called something like unread.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Thank you Chris, I have received and replied. Car carriers seem to think like freight mobs when it comes to moving lithium cells, whack a premium on top because the customer will pay it no matter what ...... It would be cheaper for me to drive up there in my truck and bring it home .... just don't have the time spare at the moment because the workshop is going crazy with jobs they all want before Easter .... as in a week before Easter and that's today ......

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
chris
Groupie

Post by chris »

coulomb wrote: Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 06:34
chris wrote: Wed, 24 Mar 2021, 19:52 I tried to reply but the message appears in the outbox as sent with nothing showing in the sent messages.
That's normal. When Terry reads your message, it will move from outbox to sent messages. Confusing terminology, outbox should be called something like unread.
Thank you for the explanation. You just reminded me that I still have that charger you repaired for me.