Cancelled - EIG cells available through EV-Power!

Parts & Suppliers for EVs
Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing »

At that price, I can order around 10 - 15 later this year, not this month though.
Please like us on Facebook: Coulomb Motorsport
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Can you get a loan? Image I can personally bankroll about 20 or 30 cells, but that's pushing my own bank balance. I'm pretty sure we can get the numbers up.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing »

Funny you should mention that, took out a $4000 personal loan today to fund our trip to the Newcastle EV Prize.......
Please like us on Facebook: Coulomb Motorsport
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I look forward to hearing more about it tomorrow!
TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik »

I'm good for 360 cells at the $60 inc GST price. Image

Come on all, only another 610 cells to go!!!
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Okay, we have almost 700 shored up, including my own outlay on a couple dozen cells. Who wants to go NMC on their next EV? 300 cells would give you a sweet 22 kWh pack...

The exchange rate is not heading in a direction we like to see, but it does mean small international orders are looking more plausible.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Hi everyone,

As the following graph shows:

Conditions are not great for importing stuff. We will have to revise the price of the cells to $66 each, including GST. If you are still interested (thanks!) let me know. We are still a fair way short of 1000 so if we don't make it we won't be going through with the order anyway.

Cheers,
Chris
Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 »

Yes I am interested in using them :)
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Great to hear Damien. How many? I hope it's about 300...
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Okay I finally got some prices on the termination kits for these cells. Since EIG won't sell us their kits we devised our own which works just as well. We have PCBs for 2, 3, 4 and 6 in parallel (40, 60, 80 and 120 Ah) which have brass nuts soldered to the back so you can screw copper buslinks over the folded tabs and into the PCB.

PCBs for the 40, 60, 80 and 120 Ah kits will cost $10, $13, $15 and $13 respectively.

Copper buslinks for the same order of sizes are $5.00, $5.50, $6.00 and $7.00 each. You will need one for every 'cell' in series.

Yes, copper is expensive, but CNC waterjet cutting is where the real cost lies. Unless there is a need for 1000s of them, they won't get much cheaper.

The order is currently sitting at around 850 cells all up.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Hi everyone - just letting you know that the gate on this order has closed! EIG revised down their MOQ for us to 850 cells, which is great. We're buying a couple dozen extras to keep in stock, but these will sell at a higher retail price. If you want more we'll just have to place another big order again soon.

We'll be asking for purchase details very soon so invoices can be prepared and sent out early next week.

Cheers all,
Chris
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

The 60 Ah termination boards look pretty when the copper is tinplated Image

We will use a different connector to the JST pictured (it's just there for show). We'll use a 2.54 mm pitch header with a guard and locking mechanism.

We hope to get cracking on this order very soon. Still waiting on a few stragglers before we can make the payment.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Hi all,

Unfortunately we have had to cancel the order. The cost of shipping dangerous goods was just too high, and it was pushing the cell prices up to $70 each.

I still have stacks of termination boards for sale (I need to get something back from all of this!) so if you wind up getting a hold of EIG cells I can help with the terminations.

Thanks for your interest,
Chris
RIPPERTON
Noobie

Post by RIPPERTON »

Stop struggling guys.
6aH LiPo cells for $21 at last check.
Shame these used to be $16 but you wont find better C rates.
Im using the 4aH cell in my race bike and they are quite reliable.

half way down this page to the 55C section
http://ygspower.com/prosecond.php?pid=5

Email Apple for details.
info@ygspower.com

I had to pay with Western Union and they arrive within the week via DHL or such.
Last edited by RIPPERTON on Tue, 12 Nov 2013, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
2013 eFXC Champion
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

as a general rule the higher the "C" rating of a cell the less cycles it will live through

the ones you linked to look like hobby cells and most of them are only good for 80 to 200 cycles
Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho »

Or....go with a product that has the most experience and best reputation.

We can supply Kokam 3.7V 31Ah 114.7Wh high power cells capable of 15C (10sec) and 8C continuous discharge for about $0.82 + GST per Wh landed in Australia.

These cells provide 145Wh/kg and are rated for more than 4000 cycles to 80% DOD.

It's a bit of a no-brainer really....
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Thanks Dan, but I would not recommend anyone put high C-rate lithium cobalt cells into a civilian application like a car. Most high C rate LiPo has an energy density of 140-150 Wh/kg. The EIG cells are 175 Wh/kg and 5-10 C and there are even better NMC pouches out there with 185 Wh/kg. The latter having discharge capabilities of 4-8 C

I'm still going to get an EIG shipment happening in the next 12 months, but I'll have to see whether or not the shipping gets cheaper.
Adverse Effects

jonescg wrote: I'm still going to get an EIG shipment happening in the next 12 months, but I'll have to see whether or not the shipping gets cheaper.

i dont get it i know someone that brings in 20 foot shipping containers and he said it was only about $3k to $4k from china (dont matter the weight)

think about how meny cells you can fit in a 20 foot container?
(yes i know your not buying a 20 foot container of cells)
so why do shipping company's charge so much to ship stuff?
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 12 Nov 2013, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Cause it's dangerous goods. China bends the rules and declares 100 Ah cells as 5 Ah cells, so they can go as a loose container load. No-one in Korea does this, so the rule for DGs is that they must travel in their own sea container ($5000) plus inspection fees. A full sea container would be about 6 or 7 pallets, which is 3000 cells (or about $200k worth).
Adverse Effects

but a lipo / life / what ever cells are safe as long as there at storage voltage (50% SOC) and not damaged or getting damaged not being charged and not being discharged
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Looks like there are now some decent options available come battery time. My original plans were based around Thunderskys, that seems like a distant memory now.
RIPPERTON
Noobie

Post by RIPPERTON »

Adverse Effects wrote: as a general rule the higher the "C" rating of a cell the less cycles it will live through .
the ones you linked to look like hobby cells and most of them are only good for 80 to 200 cycles
Only if you thrash them in a racing situation.
Thats why they are good for race bikes, you cant fit many cells on a bike.
A Kokam pack wouldnt work on a bike simply because of the low C rating,
You would never get the current unless you had 4 31Ah cells in parallel then the pack would weigh 200kg. Ergo, Kokam would be good in a race car only.
Making a car pack from LiPo cells would be a different story though
You would have so many cells in parallel they wouldnt be working very hard and would have much longer cycle life that rated.
Last edited by RIPPERTON on Tue, 12 Nov 2013, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
2013 eFXC Champion
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

It's the large number of points of potential failure thing that bothers me more about LiPo in a car. Not saying it can't be done, but it does add a level of complexity you can avoid with larger format cells. Plus lithium cobalt aren't renowned for their stability and quality control.

Oh, people have been racing with Kokams in bikes for a few years now. I think Lightning motorcycles use Enerdels, Brammo use EIGs, Zero did too but now they're using Farasis cells - http://www.cdiweb.com/datasheets/ctc-ba ... 5Ah-v5.pdf

8C is a lot if your voltage is high enough Image
Kasterborus
Groupie

Re: Cancelled - EIG cells available through EV-Power!

Post by Kasterborus »

Hey mate, in case you hadn't realised, there is a new addendum to the ADGC and lithium batteries, I just skimmed over it as it wasn't pertinent to me at the time, but it's there.
whimpurinter

Re: Cancelled - EIG cells available through EV-Power!

Post by whimpurinter »

Kasterborus said re ipace:
But overall, the one thing that stood out to me, and I'm not sure if I imagined it, was that there seemed to be a subtle fake ICE noise in the cabin?
One thing that put me off was the salesman sitting there and rubbishing Tesla as their direct competitor, would not stop talking smack on them.

And:
Just wondering, has anyone here grabbed a recent-ish vehicle, such as say, a Subaru XV (Which is a kind of Body on kind of chassis) design and integrated their EV systems with all the computers that beep and boop and bloop and such in the modern car?

And:
Last time I really played with electrics was with wiring spotlights and diagnosing broken 30+ year old wires, none of this computer stuff.
And:
So I have been looking at drop in Electric Drive setups, as I plan to build my own skateboard, but I can't seem to track down any more information on this one:
And:
Hey mate, in case you hadn't realised, there is a new addendum to the ADGC and lithium batteries, I just skimmed over it as it wasn't pertinent to me at the time, but it's there.

I said:
I am drawn to sudden multiple entries by a given nom de plume. I start looking for a consistent theme, or outlook, or enthusiasm.
With these entries, on different themes, there seems to be a lack of 'direction'.

The use of "computers that beep and boop and bloop and such in the modern car?", the comment "the salesman sitting there and rubbishing Tesla as their direct competitor, would not stop talking smack on them." which probably is a young person's comment, but from where?, and for an intelligent activist, would for me surely be an opportunity to 'put the salesman right' :):) and not simply complain about it.

With a background of "Last time I really played with electrics was with wiring spotlights and diagnosing broken 30+ year old wires, none of this computer stuff." so now I'm going to progress to building my own skate board, presumably electric drive, though you have to make an assumption here as the two things aren't specifically put together.

Then to finish off with -"Hey mate, in case you hadn't realised, there is a new addendum to the ADGC and lithium batteries, I just skimmed over it as it wasn't pertinent to me at the time, but it's there." - seems to obfuscate in an extreme way as though the writer is not concerned with getting a specific message across at all.

I do hope there are no Teslas hiding around the corner.

Maybe you know who this is and can simply give me a serve.

Edit: removed apostrophe