Driving Holden Volt in Hot and Humid conditions

Volt Interest Group
cr12330
Groupie

Post by cr12330 »

I'm interest in knowing more about how the Volt operates, what is the average range for the volts and would it be safe to save if I was driving it up in Darwin with the air condition on, the range would be 60km?

I would like to know, if I drove the Volt from Darwin to Katherine (316km)
How many EV km could I use for this journey? and how much petrol would I use? and how quickly would it charge to full on the journey.

Would I be able to get up to 120km to 150km on EV on the 316km journey?

Thanks

Joseph
lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

Hello, How fast would you be going on the highway?

Les
reecho

Post by reecho »

120 to 150km on pure EV??

Not a chance....

More like 50km...
Last edited by reecho on Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

In total km travelled, (three recharges) maybe. But that's a long trip.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
cr12330
Groupie

Post by cr12330 »

I love that question, if you ask me that before 2005 I would say around 160km/h but now the Stuart Highway has a speed limit of 130km/h

I would say 130km/p, about 270km of that strip would allow me to drive at that speed, coming toward towns my speed limits go back to 60km/h for a 2km passage.

Heaps of over taking lanes, when driving up here, hardly ever get caught with any traffic but sometime you get the odd stupid caravan driver that say on 80km/h you got to over take them asap.

Cheers
lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

At those speeds, you will be on the generator in about 50km. Then you will be using approximately 6.5l/100km at 100km/h.
Johny

Post by Johny »

cr12330 wrote:....but sometime you get the odd stupid caravan driver that say on 80km/h you got to over take them asap.
How fast would you prefer "stupid" caravan drivers to travel? Dragging around caravans uses bucketfulls of fuel not to mention trying to pull the rig up in an emergency being pretty ticklish over 90km/h.
Just sayin...
Last edited by Johny on Thu, 07 May 2015, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Johny

Post by Johny »

lesmando wrote: At those speeds, you will be on the generator in about 50km. Then you will be using approximately 6.5l/100km at 100km/h.
I think he'd be lucky to get 35km with EV mode at 130km/h.
cr12330
Groupie

Post by cr12330 »

Thanks Jones, that kind of give me the answer with roughtly 3 times, so when the EV recharge, I could change from Petrol to EV mode?

Yes that is some long driving but you never want to drive from Katherine to Tennant Creek about 672km of driving, which is hard to stay awake, nothing but trees and the odd buffalo and kangaroo lol.
lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

At those speeds the volt will prefer blended mode (EV and generator). So it would be more like a Prius. Your petrol consumption will be lower, but not EV only.
Nim
Noobie

Post by Nim »

Hello!

I drive a 2012 Blade Electron. In reality it gets 50km around Darwin with A/C. I run my A/C at about 24 degree with outside temp about 30-35 degrees. Running it at 18 would have more impact on range.

I am with lesmando. At high speed you really should use "Hold" mode which maintains battery charge. I have driven to Katherine and back twice and always get 8 litres/100km consumption. I believe Australia banned the Moutain mode in Holden Volts! :(

Indeed even doing Tennant creek to Alice Springs with cruise control set at 165 km/hr in the no speed limit zone I was still on 8.1 litres/100km. (MY car has a limiter which cuts the accelerator at 168km.hr.

I would be interested to know stats with a caravan, but in truth I think you would be crazy to tow a caravan with a Volt unless the caravan had batteries and a full solar array; now THAT I would like to see!!
Nim (drives a Blade Electron V)