Volt drives more electric miles than Leaf

Volt Interest Group
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 19:34

Just saw this thread about Chevy Volt drivers doing more EV miles than Nissan Leaf drivers.

Seems that Leaf drivers tend to leave a bit for spare range if needed, wheras the Volt drivers tend to use it all then go into extended range generation.. so if they have 10.6 kw to use. .they wil lalways use it on a slightly longer travel than their pure EV range.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php ... vers/page2
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 19:39

I saw this in Charged EVs magazine. Clearly human psychology still works as predicted. We're more likely to made a decision if we know the risk of a negative outcome is low.

Which also means there's some merit in the establishment of a fast charge network out in the 'burbs or on the open roads so as to give drivers the 'courage' to venture a bit further. Seems range is still a big hindrance to more widespread uptake.

How's your Volt going anyway? Used the first tank of fuel yet?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 20:45

noo havent been on any long trips.. so over 1000 km's on ev. .no fuel used yet. (used some to drive it home early June this year..-- shows 0.5 litres used per 100 km's on the dash).

I would love to be able to plug in along the Hume Highway every now and then.. will take it on a longer trip and use petrol sooner or later! My other car is a work wagon, so when I am getting building materials etc I use it.

Even a 3.75 hour charge at 15/ 20 amps occasionally at Goulburn would be nice.. like a clipper creek L-25. Not sure if I could use say a Nissan Dealers charge outlet to charge the Volt.

I need to do more homework there! If I find something I will add it to Recargo though   Image

"Seems range is still a big hindrance to more widespread uptake"

Yep sure do agree... people say to me "so when the battery runs out where do you plug in if you are on the highway".

I should be able to say anywhere, but instead I explain it has a Petrol Generator that keeps charging the battery.

So it seems that Range anxiety affects public perception about EREV's just as much as BEV's.

Personally, for a 6-7 hour drive in a Holden Volt ,I would happily stop for 3.75 hours to use a clipper Creek to charge once fully, not every trip, but when I had the time to "stop and smell the roses".

So from Snowy Mountains - Cooma - Canberra - Goulburn - Sydney - Central Coast. Stop somewhere along there.

Here is a post about a Solar Charging station for EV's in the U.S.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php ... arger-pics

Plonk a couple of those along the Hume...Image

As to the Volt itself. .love it, have given lots of free rides / and drives to people who ask about it.   
Last edited by marty11 on Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
Solar Charged from 10kw

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 21:49

Hi Marty,
Not a dig at you but I wonder why volt owners are so proud of their EV usage, as if they didn't actually need the ICE part for other than floaties so they were prepared to get into the EV water. Image They all tell me how little they use the most expensive petrol motor they have ever bought.
To be fair of course, this is very user application dependent. At this stage of the technology it makes EVs work for some folk.... as would EV highways ?

I still wonder if the volt had been made avaiable with a full usage 32kWh battery version as well as the ICE hybrid version would the response have been like tesla trying to sell 30,45 or 85kWh models's ? They only ever got orders for the 85kWh.

As cj says, the phsycology is interesting.

Good on you for for getting a volt though.... Image I'd get one if I hadn't dug myself such a deep anti hybrids hole. Image
iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 22:07

haha .. I knew you wouldnt be able to resist!   Image

I thought that I would mention I was going to get a company to "EV" a 96 Mazda 323 Astina. .even bought the donor car! Has worked out I would not have the time to learn it all and keep my job!

Then time etc work stopped me.. And then along came the Volt! THE Range anxiety got to me, so I plonked a deposit on a Tesla... before I knew the Eventual Price of the Tesla.. haha..

So then the Volt came out with a 0.5% finance deal. .was only available for a few weeks..pounced.

Some of my trips are quite long.. so an extended range EV was ok by me.. but as I had been reading and enjoying the stories of EV conversions, (and still do), I even saw posts about Extended range.. last week there has been more discussion of Generators etc, on trailers, to extend the range of the BEV. So a lot of BEV owners think about range extending capabilities too.. Image So the range extending posts on this very forum actually led me TO the Volt. and although the Volt isnt a purist's car, I can get 65-70 km range in the summer.. winter 58 .. so its not too bad?

Eventually , BEV's will be viable in Australia for everyone. At present, as you mentioned, some people are suited to pure BEV right now, and some like me want BEV round town, and ability to do 500 kms in a day as well, so EREV suits me.

I will use the Ice as a Range extender.. already have once in 6 months.. but about to do a lot more in the Volt, and yes its nice to be able to use the Ive to go on longer trips without worrying, but I prefer to drive the EV bits as often as I can..

As for EV highways, they will come. And that will be good for BEV and EREV. Here is the Netherlands one ..every 50 kms EV charging for BEV's EREV's

If there ever was an upgrade for the Volt battery pack, say more hwh's in the same battery pack area, I would jump at it.

Eventually, for me a two person car family might eventuate, with one Volt and one BEV ( I noticed some of you lucky people picked up well priced Imievs!) Carrying an ICE does bother me.. but I can live with it. Until battery tech improves more, this will do.   IF I could replace the Ice with something else - like a bigger battery BEV I could afford, say 150 - 250 km BEV, and be able to quick charge along highways as in the link above, then a BEV would suit me fine.. and would suit a LOT of the public.. I believe that say will come. .as it is in the Netherlands.
Last edited by marty11 on Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
Solar Charged from 10kw

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Fri, 03 Jan 2014, 18:28

http://insideevs.com/chevy-volt-owner-z ... 000-miles/

this guy believes that
“This is the first car I’ve purchased that I truly feel I got more vehicle than I paid for!”