2012 MiniCab charge cable help

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Braddles
Noobie

2012 MiniCab charge cable help

Post by Braddles »

Firstly I apologise if this post is very naive, because my EV and general electronics knowledge is probably at a kindergarten level compared to what I have read on here, but here goes.

I've got a Japanese imported 2012 MiniCab that's at a compliance workshop currently with a flat battery and so far unable to charge. Below are the bits of info I have, any troubleshooting info or help would be greatly appreciated!

1. It has the Japanese Type 1 J1772 cable that came with the van, but the workshop owner seems to think it is only compatible with a 100v power source. Is this likely to be the case?

2. I had also bought a 10 Amp Plug, Portable Type 1 EV Charging Station from EVSE in case of such a problem, but the workshop owner is also having trouble with it not communicating with the van - the 'waiting/connecting' icon just spins. I had read about the communication pins not being present in older Japanese EV's but thought the 2012 MiniCabs and iMiEVs didn't have this problem. The rep at EVSE said this cable should work, but maybe a software update is needed on the van.

3. Would a step down transformer be a good investment to use the original cable?

I'm sure a number of people here also had Japanese imports, so I'd be interested to hear your experiences if you had anything similar.

Note - I have limited info on hand because I have never seen the van or either of the charge cables as everything has gone straight to the compliance workshop, and with the Melbourne COVID lock down I can't get there. So please bear with me if you request any info I don't already know.

Thanks in advance!
antiscab

Re: 2012 MiniCab charge cable help

Post by antiscab »

it would be worth (getting a qualified person) to open up the original type 1 cable and see if it can take 220vac (it will be a matter of whether it's internal power supply can take the voltage)

it may be a timing issue, do you have other charge cables you could try?
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
Braddles
Noobie

Post by Braddles »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick response! That is something I will definitely look into when restrictions are eased and I can get about, because it would be good to know.

Good suggestion on timing, I will look into that. I don't have any other cables at this stage, but will definitely be open to buying another once I can make a bit more of an informed decision about what is wrong and what will work.

I don't see a MiniCab in your (extensive :) ) vehicle list, but does your screen name allude to the fact that you had one in the past?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Japanese grey import MiniCab incoming.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Not a minicab but I do have a 2012 imiev ( or rather I bought it new then sold it to my dad who currently owns it)

Of course there's no guarantee as to commonality between the two vehicles 🙁

Can you post a picture of the charge cable that came with the car?

My imiev works with a duosida charge cable, and the one it came with. I don't actually recall it ever not working with another charge cable, though the imiev hasn't really ever strayed far from home
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
smithy2167
Noobie

Post by smithy2167 »

I know very little about the Minicab or imiev, but is the 12V accessories battery OK? If it's dead, then the car's systems won't have power to start things going.
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
Braddles
Noobie

Post by Braddles »

antiscab wrote: Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 08:27 Can you post a picture of the charge cable that came with the car?
Thanks for the insights and I'll ask the compliance fella to take a photo form me.
smithy2167 wrote: Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 08:42 but is the 12V accessories battery OK? If it's dead, then the car's systems won't have power to start things going.
Ahhhh Smithy great suggestion, you could be on to something there! From the way it was described to me it was a rather sudden death, so that would make more sense than them just neglecting to pay attention to the charge level. I bought the van just as Australian (and the world) was stating to get shut down with COVID so the car has been idle for a looooong time with very little action. Let me check in on that avenue with him too.

Thanks again for your help!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Braddles
Noobie

Post by Braddles »

smithy2167 wrote: Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 08:42 I know very little about the Minicab or imiev, but is the 12V accessories battery OK? If it's dead, then the car's systems won't have power to start things going.
You were spot on! They charged the 12V lead acid, an now everything works and the charge cable connects and charges. Huge thanks for the suggestion!
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Great outcome. Good call Smithy
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
Braddles
Noobie

Post by Braddles »

antiscab wrote: Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 20:58 Great outcome. Good call Smithy
Thanks for your suggestions too Matt, they are all good troubleshooting directions for me to know being new to EV's.