PHEV Loss of Km Range with Battery.

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
brendon_m

Re: PHEV Loss of Km Range with Battery.

Post by brendon_m »

Is the BMU VIN coded? Or could you buy a late model BMU and "upgrade" in a plug and play fashion? Having to have the module coded would make it harder but even still it might be an option once warranties run out to get a boost in (or at least restore) electric range.
I'd guess either way mitsubishi would have to do a reset /recalibration of the pack but it would be interesting to try
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Interesting difference between the dedicated EV company (Tesla) where seemingly everything can be upgraded over the airwaves and the dinosaur vehicle tech company where "no, you have to buy the new model to fix that problem" :-(
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Oct 2020
Total Petrol: 756.3L
ODO: 67508
Av Consumption: 1.12 L/100km
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hi Brendon,
brendon_m wrote: Sun, 02 Feb 2020, 21:31 Is the BMU VIN coded? Or could you buy a late model BMU and "upgrade" in a plug and play fashion? Having to have the module coded would make it harder but even still it might be an option once warranties run out to get a boost in (or at least restore) electric range.
I'd guess either way mitsubishi would have to do a reset /recalibration of the pack but it would be interesting to try
I don't know the answer to that, but I do know they cost around $5K as the dealer we had the vehicle with after that particular event resisted getting the part in for weeks. I said to them in the beginning that I believed the problem seemed to be in the BMU (after discussing with him the fault codes they were seeing) and their reply was that the only way they could check that would be to get in a new BMU and try swapping them over. But if they were wrong, they'd have to wear the cost of the part. Eventually they relented, got the part in and bingo the problem went.

The interesting sequel to that story is that a year later after our battery problem, we suspect that the original issues were likely also due to moisture inside the battery compartment messing with the cell-top modules. But that's speculation now!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Bichogrilo
Noobie

Post by Bichogrilo »

Just bought one it is a 2017 and at full charge it reads 33km range available. Not happy but unsure what to do to be honest.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Bichogrilo wrote: Mon, 25 May 2020, 07:17 Just bought one it is a 2017 and at full charge it reads 33km range available. Not happy but unsure what to do to be honest.
Where are you? Perhaps there is someone nearby that can check battery capacity using OBD2. If down you may have a valid claim against Mitsubishi - it's been successful before.
Bichogrilo
Noobie

Post by Bichogrilo »

NZ Northland. Would I contact Mitsubishi directly or go to a local dealer?
Johny

Post by Johny »

I was actually thinking of an AEVA member but a dealer would do it for you - at a price maybe. Not all dealerships handle the PHEV.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Bichogrilo wrote: Mon, 25 May 2020, 07:17 Just bought one it is a 2017 and at full charge it reads 33km range available. Not happy but unsure what to do to be honest.
How much have you driven it yourself? Be aware that the range it guesstimates is dependent on how you have driven over the past few journeys. If you've not driven it much, but the previous driver was a leadfoot, you'll find the range will improve if you do a few trips to discharge/recharge the battery. Also, using the climate control will reduce range. Using the "eco" mode button should help improve range.

HTH,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
HHL
Noobie

Post by HHL »

The quickest and easiest if you don't have the OBD gadget is to set the charge cost to 1 in the system and then charge it from empty. If the charging cost is around 9 you have a pretty good battery. You could also use one of those power sockets that measures consumption. In my experience they read almost the same as the built in MMCS.

The range available display is not useful for assessing the battery condition... except if it shows more than 50km every time after a charge :lol:
jeremyh
Noobie

Post by jeremyh »

Hi all. Sorry to bump the thread. I am looking at purchasing a new 2020 PHEV.

Is there any new information on the battery issue that I should factor into my buying decision?

Do folks feel that Mitsubishi is close to acknowledging the issue and providing some sort of fix or resolution?

Cheers.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

jeremyh wrote: Thu, 23 Jul 2020, 11:59 Is there any new information on the battery issue that I should factor into my buying decision?
I have read on a Facebook PHEV group that the MY19/20 has a "BMU bug" and there is a fix being rolled out for it.
In general, passively cooled batteries like the PHEV are never going to last as long as actively cooled batteries like Tesla's. However you are not paying the same money either. Nor is battery degradation such an issue in a PHEV as the car still drives as a fantastic hybrid whether you have 50km EV range or 5km. If you want an EV around $50k, buy something like the MG ZS EV which is a small SUV. However if you want to travel, the PHEV allows unlimited distance with only 5 minute stops. Sadly right now, EVs still require logistics.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
jeremyh
Noobie

Post by jeremyh »

Thanks zzcoopej.

Side query; does anyone know whether the included portable charger for the 2014 PHEV (which has a 15A plug) actually draws at 15A? I have read that it may actually just charge at 10A.

I am wanting to charge it from a 10A socket so it's good news for me if it doesn't actually go above 10A (I will of course use a caravan adapter with appropriate breaker).
Johny

Post by Johny »

Yes the 15A charges at around 10A and the 10A at just under 7A. I tested this some time back with a commercial calibrated instrument.
jeremyh
Noobie

Post by jeremyh »

Thanks Johny!

I don't suppose there is any means to tell the charger/vehicle to charge at a lower rate than the charger's maximum rate? (I know this is a feature with other vehicles).
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Not on the outlander unfortunately. (other than using different evse's or one that has multiple settings)
Lp87
Noobie

Post by Lp87 »

Hi everyone
I've just become the owner of an ex-demo 2019 outlander phev. I've connected it to the watchdog app and if I'm interpreting it correctly the battery SOH is at 77%. The car has done 7000km so I'm surprised at how low this is.
The car gives me 52km predicted kms when starting but will drop very quickly for the first 5-10km.
Should I be concerned about this?
Thanks for your opinions.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

Lp87 wrote: Thu, 03 Sep 2020, 17:59 battery SOH is at 77%.
The car gives me 52km predicted kms
This doesn't sound right. How many actual km are you getting?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Lp87 wrote: Thu, 03 Sep 2020, 17:59 The car gives me 52km predicted kms when starting but will drop very quickly for the first 5-10km.
My outlander (2015 model) does the same thing so probably not. Also when it switches to fuel the total distance to empty plummets.

77% SoH doesn't seem right, certainly a warranty job if it is
Ymer2
Noobie

Post by Ymer2 »

Lp87 wrote: Thu, 03 Sep 2020, 17:59 Hi everyone
I've just become the owner of an ex-demo 2019 outlander phev. I've connected it to the watchdog app and if I'm interpreting it correctly the battery SOH is at 77%. The car has done 7000km so I'm surprised at how low this is.
The car gives me 52km predicted kms when starting but will drop very quickly for the first 5-10km.
Hi,
Earlier this year I bought an ex-demo 2019 Outlander PHEV with just over 7000km on the clock. The Watchdog showed a SoH of 78% for 34.3Ah, but on the Battery Condition detail screen it says that 38Ah is 100%. So 34.3Ah would be roughly 90%. The active trip screen seems to show this more correct percentage. BTW, the car has now done 15500km and the Watchdog shows the SoH as 32.6Ah.
pixelated
Noobie

Post by pixelated »

Hi folks, I've been watching stuff about the PHEV since the 2014 model, was going to buy a used one and kept putting it off, because the early models only had 5 year battery warranties, which have since expired. Then last week I saw a MY19 "new" in QLD, test drove it, said "Shut up and take my money"... picking it up on Tuesday. I'm keen to test out the car when I pick it up next week and provide some fresh data here.

A few questions to get me on my quest:
Is PHEV Watchdog the go-to app these days, or should I use EVBatMon?

Is there a more "go-to" Outlander PHEV-centric forum somewhere?

Also, can anyone comment on charging with CHADEMO and degradation resulting from it? I live in an apartment and it'll take a few weeks/months of haggling with body corp to get a power point near my parking spot, so in the initial weeks I may just have to charge with fast chargers and any other random chargers I find around the place.

(I realise the earlier 2014-2018? model didn't have CHADEMO so maybe you guys haven't got any data on this?)

Thanks heaps!
Johny

Post by Johny »

pixelated wrote: Fri, 30 Oct 2020, 21:08 ...
A few questions to get me on my quest:
Is PHEV Watchdog the go-to app these days, or should I use EVBatMon?
Just install both and decide later. They both work with the same OBD2 dongles.

myoutlanderphev.com is useful but like all forums has its share of uninformed opinions.
Ymer2
Noobie

Post by Ymer2 »

Lp87 wrote: Thu, 03 Sep 2020, 17:59 Hi everyone
Hi,

Might have figured this out for our Aussie MY19 PHEVs.

The percentage on the Watchdog Battery Condition screen seems to be based on the bigger battery that was fitted to the MY19 PHEVs in other countries: 13.8kWh, 46Ah. But our Aussie MY19 PHEVs still have the 12kWh, 40Ah battery.

On the Battery Condition detail screen it says that the SoH percentage is calculated on the basis of 38Ah=100% (i.e. 2Ah less than the rated capacity).

My PHEV has a SoH of 32.2Ah. That is 84.7% of 38Ah. But the Battery Condition screen of the Watchdog shows 73.2%. As it happens, 32.2Ah is 73.2% of 44Ah (46Ah battery).

The Live Data screen shows a different SoH: 84.7% at 32.2Ah, which is the correct percentage for the 38Ah (40Ah) battery.

So I’d say go with the percentage on the Live Data screen. Still a shocking battery capacity degradation for a car that’s only 18 months old. If indeed it’s actual degradation and not some software-generated limitation....