I-miev repair

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Haps
Noobie

I-miev repair

Post by Haps »

Where can i buy buy fuses for my i-miev 20amp 450volt and elektrolytic capacitors 4 legged 680uf 420volt 105degrees for dcdc charger
jonescg

Re: I-miev repair

Post by jonescg »

Digikey is bound to have what you want, at the price you probably don't want.
https://www.digikey.com/
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

You'll need to get DC rated fuses where needed; look for High Rupture Capacity (HRC) ceramic fuses. The only exception would be fuses that are obviously protecting the mains input cable.

For the electrolytic capacitors, as well as a 105°C rating, you'll want to pick models with long life, at least 3000 hr, preferably 5000 hr, and 10,000 hr if you can find them. Depending on the circuit details, it might also be import to pick models with a high ripple current rating. Unfortunately, I believe that there is no schematic diagram available as yet, so it's hard to know for sure. My guess is that unlike the Elcon/TC EV chargers, they won't be using electrolytic capacitors for high frequency bypassing, so the ripple current rating may not be as important.
These capacitors will be, at a wild guess, about $10-15 for good quality models, so it seems worth spending a bit more to get models that will last well. I've seen photos of inside the iMiev charger, and the plastic has come off the end of all the big electrolytic capacitors, indicating that they experience a lot of high temperatures in operation. This will cause poor life of the cheaper, lower rated models, and can take out more expensive components when they fail. Not to mention the hassle of the repair, and the inconvenience of having the car unusable for possibly long periods of time.
As well as Digi-key, consider Mouser, element14, and RS Components. All 4 have an Australianised web page, so you know what you will be paying (GST will likely apply to everything, none from memory have GST included in their pricing). RS Components is good for small orders, as they have free shipping with no minimum order size. Their range is a bit lower than the others, though.
Ordering components is a hassle. I've heard a figure of 15% of the cost of many small projects is in ordering parts.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Haps
Noobie

Post by Haps »

Thanks, did you have a succesfully repair of a charger by change the capacitors
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Haps wrote: Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 02:31 did you have a succesfully repair of a charger by change the capacitors
I've only worked on Elcon/TC chargers in the main. With these, one of the capacitors protect the MOSFETs from voltage spikes, so no, I've never repaired one of those chargers by replacing only capacitors. When they go high internal resistance, they always take out the MOSFETs, which usually also destroy some MOSFET gate driver components.

But hopefully, Mitsubishi (or Nichicon, who seem to have designed it for Mitsubishi) were sensible and used the physically larger and more expensive film capacitors to protect the MOSFETs. So for the Mitsubishi chargers, replacing the capacitors might be all that is required. But I would advise waiting till this is confirmed by the experts (I mean on myimiev.com, not Mitsubishi :geek: ). It seems that users kiev and piev intend to trace out the schematic (see Troubleshooting and repair for On-board Charger, DC-DC Converter ).
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
skylogger
Groupie

Post by skylogger »

For the High Voltage 20amp fuse, Locating Replacements is a bit hard, and they are a little expensive at $24 a pop, so if
you are rebuilding and re-testing, poping the fuse twice will set you back almost $50
I am thinking of re-cycling the original fuse, by drilling small holes through the end caps, and threading a piece
of 20amp fuse wire, and then resoldering he holes closed. (the kind you buy at bunnings for older homes with fuse boxes).
The High voltage fuse in the IMIEV has sand inside that contains the molten wire when the fuse blows, and reduces arc
and gives it the higher voltage rating.

There are two versions of the dogbox section of the PCB where the resistors and caps are blowing on the AC Charger input section.
One version has disk shaped caps, and the other version has a small vertical PCB with surface mount caps on the small daughter pcb.
On the "troubleshooting Charger" thread on MyImiev they list some murata part numbers for the caps, but still no info on the resistor
value. I still have not come across seeing anyone successfully complete repairs of one of these and get it up and working again.
There may also be Mosfets blown which are under the PCB mounted to the heatsink/coolant tank.

I'll be taking one of these apart over the next few days, and then can share what i find.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

skylogger wrote: Sat, 14 Jul 2018, 14:47 I am thinking of re-cycling the original fuse, by drilling small holes through the end caps, and threading a piece
of 20amp fuse wire, and then resoldering he holes closed. (the kind you buy at bunnings for older homes with fuse boxes).
The High voltage fuse in the IMIEV has sand inside that contains the molten wire when the fuse blows, and reduces arc
and gives it the higher voltage rating.
At first I thought this was a clever idea, but some web research into how HRC fuses are constructed, and how they work, soon made me realise it could be very unsafe. Some reasons are:
1. Some of the sand will have been fused into a solid lump of glass by the previous operation.
2. Rewirable fuse wire is rated for fusing in air, not when cooled by contact with sand.
3. HRC fuses are intended to remain air-tight and contain only dry air.
4. HRC fuses are often constructed using notched tape rather than wire as the fusible element.
5. HRC fuses often use a small blob of tin on the copper element, that enables them to melt on a small overload, via the 'M effect', while having low resistance, and therefore low temperature, in normal operation.
This is the best short description I could find:
https://electrical-engineering-portal.c ... -operation

Thanks to Coulomb for his concern about the possible dangers of this idea, and for bringing it to my attention.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
skylogger
Groupie

Post by skylogger »

Hi Harp:
For once, Mitsubishi original part is readily available and price not too bad.
The Mitsubishi part number for the 20Amp fuse 450v is 9499A656
We ordered one from the dealership in Waneroo, and it came in a overnight bag
from eastern states so we had it next day. We paid $24 for it.
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

It is now apparently on back order from Japan, looks like Australian stock has been exhausted.
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

ouch !
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Amayama claim they can get one in 16 days

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/mitsubishi/9499a656
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

The price looks good too!
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Seems to say $20 + $30 for shipping. I've not bought anything from them, but seen the site mentioned on the Delica forums.
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

For me it displayed $20 +$9 for Fastway courier delivery (may be cheaper on east coast?). However when one proceeds there is a "request a quote" screen rather than a "buy now" screen. The message says this is because they don't have a weight for the part to calculate accurate shipping. I've requested a quote, and will see when they get back to me.