I-MiEVs for sale

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
SSSimon
Noobie

I-MiEVs for sale

Post by SSSimon »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am presently an EV user. I'm looking to buy an I-MiEV for my daughter to use around Canberra.

I seen the blue 2012 one in Melbourne (member of here) and looking at a 2010 one in Wagga Wagga tomorrow. Obviously both will need to be trucked to Canberra.

Any others out there, and any thoughts on obvious problems to watch out for?

Regards,
Simon
mikedufty

Re: I-MiEVs for sale

Post by mikedufty »

Seems to be a few around with dead on board chargers - should be fairly obvious due to warning lights and not being able to charge. Ours will be for sale when that is replaced (hopefully soon) but it is in Perth, so even further to truck.
SSSimon
Noobie

Post by SSSimon »

OK, will be testing charging on the inspection tomorrow. I understand the 2010 model only has the trickle AC charger. Any other advantages in getting the 2012 model over the 2010 model other than it being 2 years 'newer'?
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

We have a 2010 model, it has the Chademo and normal AC charger, and yes, we have the issue with the dead DC/DC converter.. $4500 replacement. apart from that, the cars are fine. ours still has 90Km of range even though its a 2010 model.
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Both 2010 and 2012s have DC fast charging. The difference is in the AC charger. The stock 2010s were missing the wiring to charge from public slow chargers , they could only use the supplied cord. Quite a few have since been modified. There are a few threads on it here. Ours had a card in the handbook detailing the mod. I think you can also tell by looking for the contacts in the j1772 socket.
SSSimon
Noobie

Post by SSSimon »

Is there any warning light to say that the DC to DC charging is broken? I would not be happy if I bought a car only to find I'm up for a $4500 DC to DC charger replacement, even though I probably wouldn't really use that charging option very often?
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

The dc-dc supplies your 12v. Car doesn't drive without it
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

The DC-DC and Onboard AC charger are the one unit. Ours continued driving fine, but displayed both the high voltage warning light (triangle around excalamation mark) and low voltage warning light (red battery). It also would not charge when plugged in. It is pretty obvious and I think it is very unlikely anyone would try to sell you one with the problem, though in theory you could keep driving the car if you had a CHademo charger handy. The 12v battery seemed to be OK on ours so I suspect it is the charger part that had the problem.
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

I seen the blue 2012 one in Melbourne (member of here) and looking at a 2010 one in Wagga Wagga tomorrow. Obviously both will need to be trucked to Canberra.
You can do it without a truck; it would just be quite time consuming. There are enough charging stations and caravan parks in at least the Wagga-Canberra stretch that you could do it; probably stopping at Junee, Cootamundra, Harden, Yass and then arriving in Canberra. I've also looked into getting from Melbourne to Canberra before, but that was based on a mistaken belief that an iMiEV could do 80km of motorway per charge when the reality is more like 70-75km; I don't know if it is possible with a 70km limitation.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

You'd have to really want to drive. Without DC fast chargers you'd be looking at 5+hours charging for every hours driving. Probably quicker to go at 60kph down the back roads and spend less time charging than try to do motorway speeds.
SSSimon
Noobie

Post by SSSimon »

Just got back from Wagga - the 2010 i-MeEV we saw there was showing a lot of signs of age, & only had the extension-lead style charger. I borrowed an EVSE charger to test the higher speed AC charging. The the car didn't register on the charger, so only the slow-speed AC charging option. Couldn't test the Chademo. There weren't any rear headrests, and odd tyres were fitted on the back, one with rounded off shoulder.
The car did seem to drive OK, but at $14.5K it seemed at least $2k overpriced. To get it through the compulsory ACT identity check & rego check there could have been a few thousand dollars worth of rectifications required. Not inspired to buy and will continue to look around for something tidy & suitable.
BTW, I've had a trucking quote for $440 for the Melbourne to Canberra car transportation.
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

thats not to good, when we got our 2010, it hadnt been modified to use public J1772 chargers, it has since been modified, a pretty easy 1 hour job, and works fine on public J1772 plugs now. ours also had seriously worn tyres as well, but a quick online search found some suppliers for expected costs of small tyres, and we have fresh tyres all round. ours had signs of age, but no panel damage, though a few paint marks, which can be polished out. we have a full interior, and the bonus of a huge stereo system,. only have an issue with the DC/DC converter, even with that issue, it still drives fine, just wont charge the 12 volt battery, or charge from the AC power.
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev
SSSimon
Noobie

Post by SSSimon »

The broken charger issues I am reading about are a bit of a worry, as is the Mitsubishi proprietary codes, VIN-locked parts, and forced 'stealership' repairs.
I'm glad to hear that tyre replacement is not expensive :) Unlike battery-pack replacement. Is there any consensus on the average lifespan of the original battery packs?
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

The AC charge speed is the same for both the 2010 and 2012 models.

The 2010 just charge at full speed all the time. The 2012 back off if the evse says so. Both draw Max 3.3kw
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

The EVSE charging is nice to have, but not that big a deal - sounds like it is not terribly expensive to get the mod done yourself.
We have hardly used it in the 3 years we have had ours - it gets used on shopping centre chargers, but we've only ever used them just because they are there or for convenient parking, not to top up enough to get home. We have also used it to charge at my parents house, but could have got by just as well by bringing our own cord. As Matt says it doesn't really charge faster, just allows you to use other cord/EVSEs. For charging overnight at home and doing <90km per day, which is what the iMiEV is best at, it doesn't matter.
The EVbatmon app has collected some data on battery degradation. I'm not sure if you can see it if you don't have an account. Most of it seems to show fairly steady slow degradation, a few cars around 80,000km with still around 75% capacity.

A number of cars have had to replace batteries at various ages though, not sure if you can predict which. My parent's 2012 model had good range (well over 100km) until the battery suddenly failed.

I think front tyre wear can be a problem, despite being rear wheel drive, our rears still had a bit of life left when we replaced them at 45,000km, at the same time as the fronts were replaced for the second time.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I see there is a $13,000 one in Vic on car sales now, sounds a lot like ours except for the rather battered doors.
SSSimon
Noobie

Post by SSSimon »

The proprietary code and VIN locked components are a bit of a worry. I agree the ESVE thing is not a big issue, just nice to have the option.

ATM it seems more sensible to sink just $5K on a 10 y.o. Prius with the view to survive for 5 or 6 years until the EV market expands and matures some more.
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott »

mikedufty wrote: Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 22:53 I see there is a $13,000 one in Vic on car sales now, sounds a lot like ours except for the rather battered doors.
That'd be mine - I ended up deciding to discount the sale rather than fix the damage. I would have bought the iMiev if it had no glass and doors hanging by one hinge... I don't care about the cosmetics (I'm only looking at the interior most of the time, after all!) and I reckon whatever fraction of the target market who thinks like me is enough to aim for, given that we're not in a hurry.

Plus, we got an estimate for the repairs, and it included charges for things like "paint matching" which makes me think their goal is to make it better than new! Just hammer out the dents and touch up the scratches, eh? But you can't get 'em to do that.

I got an offer for $11k already but I'm holding out for a bit longer.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I have a one owner white 2012 Imiev in very good condition 40,000km. Still showing 100 - 130km on the RR meter after a full charge (depending on the driving conditions). Includes Thule aero roof racks and a spare variable charge rate Siemens VersiCharge 30A EVSE.

Would consider selling it for fare market value.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Offgrid...if you still have it in a few months I might be interested....I’m now up in Brisbane and in the process of changing jobs to one where I don’t need to tow trailers all day...I miss my old imiev like crazy!
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I'm down in south Australia now (just south of Adelaide). I haven't put the car online for sale yet. It is for sale now though as my wife will need a new long range car by the end of the year when we move to the farm.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

offgridQLD wrote: Tue, 31 Jul 2018, 16:04... by the end of the year when we move to the farm.
As a point of interest, will you be offgrid there? At least you would be living up to half of your forum name if so :)
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

No not offgrid this time around. The long term cost to be off grid isn't viable due to battery cost. The grid is only 140m away and less than 20k to connect.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

offgridQLD wrote: Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 06:49 No not offgrid this time around. The long term cost to be off grid isn't viable due to battery cost. The grid is only 140m away and less than 20k to connect.
Not sure on that Kurt, sent you a PM, the fees for being connected to the grid over here are a tad savage so you need to factor that cost in as well.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Bummer....shipping from Adelaide might push the cost up a bit....
What kind of price range are you looking at for it?