Zappi for charging i-MiEV

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Hippie403
Groupie

Zappi for charging i-MiEV

Post by Hippie403 » Fri, 30 Mar 2018, 12:19

Would a myenergi zappi http://myenergi.uk/product/zappi/ be good for charging an i-MiEV? I assume it could ramp up the charge rate a bit more than the standard cable. Can the i-MiEV cope with having the charge rate ramped down as Solar production falls? Is Zappi approved for Australian installation? I'm thinking of getting an Ioniq so I guess I would need a type 2 cable most likely, could I get an adapter to type one so I can charge the i-MiEV as well?

mikedufty

Re: Zappi for charging i-MiEV

Post by mikedufty » Fri, 30 Mar 2018, 14:34

Do we even know what charge port the ioniqs coming to australia will have yet? Assuming they ever do actually bring them here.

Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 » Fri, 30 Mar 2018, 14:42

There are some signs of motion at Hyundai Australia on the Ioniq range: https://www.hyundai.com.au/cars/small-cars/ioniq I'd guess we would get UK spec cars with CCS type 2 combo.

reecho

Post by reecho » Fri, 30 Mar 2018, 21:03

Hippie403 wrote:
Fri, 30 Mar 2018, 12:19
Would a myenergi zappi http://myenergi.uk/product/zappi/ be good for charging an i-MiEV? I assume it could ramp up the charge rate a bit more than the standard cable. Can the i-MiEV cope with having the charge rate ramped down as Solar production falls? Is Zappi approved for Australian installation? I'm thinking of getting an Ioniq so I guess I would need a type 2 cable most likely, could I get an adapter to type one so I can charge the i-MiEV as well?
The Zappi will work fine with 2011 and later I-Mievs. It will be fine down to 6 amps.

Zappi needs RCM approval for Australia but it turns out as they aren't listed (defined) there is a grey area.

You can use adaptors any which way...

Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 04:58

reecho wrote:
Fri, 30 Mar 2018, 21:03

The Zappi will work fine with 2011 and later I-Mievs. It will be fine down to 6 amps.

Zappi needs RCM approval for Australia but it turns out as they aren't listed (defined) there is a grey area.

You can use adaptors any which way...
Thanks for that. My I-MiEV is a 2012, sounds like I'm good to go. So I can get a type 1 cable now and just get an adaptor for the Ioniq if required?

reecho

Post by reecho » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 09:53

Or ask them if the charging cable is serviceable and easily swapped. If thats the case order a Type 2 version Zappi from the UK and order a Type 1 cable for the I-Miev and swap it. Avoid adaptors if you can.