iMiEV - any good?

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
4Springs

iMiEV - any good?

Post by 4Springs » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 18:45

Asking on behalf of someone looking at a secondhand iMiEV - how can you tell if it is any good?
The details I have are:
It is at a Mitsubishi dealer - so I suggested that the dealer might be able to get some kind of printout of the battery health?
It has done 37,000 km.
It is about 7 years old.

It is in Melbourne. They will have a fun trip driving it back to Hobart, but then it will be used around town. Sounds like a good life for this kind of vehicle.

Can anyone give any tips on what to look for? Battery health is of prime concern, is there a way to tell how good it is?

adelaide-ev
Groupie

Re: iMiEV - any good?

Post by adelaide-ev » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 20:56

So it's a MY10 model. No warranty left.
Yes, Mitsubishi can perform a battery capacity test - they do this every 2nd year on the capped price servicing and it adds $200 on those years.
I'd want to make sure they were going to hand over a printout with some cell voltages for that money....not just a "it's fine".

Of course, they may be able to negotiate a satisfactory test into the deal ie. we're not buying without this knowledge.
Might depend if the dealer is iMiev capable.

On a practical level, they can ask for it to be fully charged and cycle thru the odo readings to the RR for a guesstimate of range.
Don't know what's acceptable for a MY10 but my MY12 can vary from 120 (mid winter/charging below 5degrees) to 153 (nice sunny weather preceded by smooth level driving) RR is based on the last 24km drive so varies with uphill/downhill etc but still a good comparison.

This RR is the guesstimated range to 0 bars (there are 16 bars on the gauge), so deduct some, say 10-18km for a reading down to 2 bars left - a good daily guide which completely avoids any range anxiety. Also even with that, I've never driven the 130km difference. 116 best ever, usually 100 -110 down to the 2 bars left ( at which point RR is always around 18km left) Note: air con makes little difference, flogging the heater will.

Can they do a substantial test drive? If so, starting with a full pack say drive 50km and see where the gauge is - use 7 bars would give 100km for 14bars - excellent.About what my MY12 does around town in the winter. Suspect a MY10 would be less. Depends what daily range they need?
If they use 10+ bars to do 50kms - hmmmmm

The mileage I think is in it's favour - looks like it's been regularly driven and therefore regularly charged.

There is also the Canion app that can be used with an OBD scanner to give voltage readings - they'll need to find a local with that to give them a hand.
iMiev MY12 owner since December 2013

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 09:43

The canion and EVbatmon apps give you information on the battery. The apps are cheap or free, but need a good OBD bluetooth or wireless dongle to work, I've not managed to get either working consistently on mine, with a couple of different dongles that were both recommended as ones that work.
A few have battery issues which are probably just a couple of cells, but it is $13,000 if you need to replace the whole battery pack. Evshop in perth have some cells available to do repairs now. Not sure how helpful that is in Tasmania.

Our 2010 usually shows 80 to 100km RR on a full charge, depending if it has been driven fast or slow before the charge, which is less than the 2012 models. It will be half that if the heater is turned on though. Air con turned on drops it by 10%, so check those. It also varies depending on how the car has been driven, so worth seeing how it is after a sensible test drive.

I suspect if you are seeing around 80 -100 rr on fully charged, and it drops at an appropriate rate when driving it is probably OK. Not sure though. A friend who has problems said hers has stopped with 2 bars still remaining on the fuel guage.
Mine, which I think is generally OK for its age (also 2010 with 40000km), stopped with 7km remaining range still showing recently, but it was down to zero bars.

Johny

Post by Johny » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 10:38

I also thought Victoria had some legislation about being able to identify the previous owner of a 2nd hand car. Easily ducked I would imagine but worth asking. A previous owner should have no reason not to be honest about the cars' range.

Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights » Thu, 17 Aug 2017, 09:03

it appears that the Imiev for sale in melb is sold, or no longer listed for sale on the usual websites.. (i had my eye on it also)

if so, 4Springs, did your friend buy it? and if so, how much if you dont mind my asking..

thanks
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev

4Springs

Post by 4Springs » Sat, 19 Aug 2017, 15:33

Ultralights wrote:
Thu, 17 Aug 2017, 09:03
if so, 4Springs, did your friend buy it? and if so, how much if you dont mind my asking..
It appears so!
I asked the question and received this back:

Hi Christopher,
Yes we did. We were able to watch the comments come in from your link as we drove up to Devonport and arrived in Melb. We had a motor racing friend of ours in Melb to check it out prior to us booking the ferry. He had no love for electric vehicles. However, after the test drive, he is now a convert! His report was glowing.
We insisted on a battery report & showed them the aeva comment about 2 year battery check. They did the battery optimisation in their service dept & issued us with a written report. Our test run to measure range was very satisfactory.
Got it for $15999. We got them to recharge whilst we completed the paperwork. Drove it to our friends factory and plugged it in again there whilst we took him to lunch (in his Mercedes). 3 hours later, when it was time to leave, it was 100% bars!! We were delighted! Very heavy freeway and South Yarra traffic during the 50k travel back to the ferry. Used 50%, mostly on the freeway. Got on the ferry. Next morning we dropped it off at Patricks to be taken to Hbt by truck. We are expecting it here Monday. Thanks for everyone's comments.
Cheers, Helen & John

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Sat, 19 Aug 2017, 20:07

Hmm, after the initial plunge in prices, are the i-MiEVs starting to appreciate now? Paid a bit less for our identical spec one over 2 years ago. Maybe in 50 years they'll make it back up to the original RRP.

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 08:46

FWIW - I'm in Melbourne and am considering selling my iMiev!

It's a 2010, and I believe the battery to be in excellent shape as I still get a max range of over 100km on a full charge (based on the guess-o-meter). It's got 30-some-odd thousand k on it, I bought it 2 years ago with under 10k.

I've recently quit my dayjob so I don't use the car much, which is why I'm considering selling it while I can still legitimately claim the battery is top-notch (and of course I'd be willing to get that backed up by a dealer test). The car has some minor body dings which I'm looking into getting fixed before I actually sell it, but in the meantime, if anyone's potentially interested we can have a chat.

I absolutely love the iMiev and never want to go back to a petrol car, by the way! Rumor has it that there'll be an electric MINI in 2019...

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 12:30

Ditto here in Perth with 2011 imiev. Currently has donor 2010 cells. Error light comes on when imiev is switched off. Been down to Bridgetown in it. 8 hours, 4 hours of charging.
Love how it can stand on the pavement for charging at uwa when iced or eved

I use Jaycar dongle for evbatmon
And Andy Honecker’s discontinued unit for
Pretty solid once it get a lock on.
Not secure Bluetooth though. So anyone can theoretically hack your car. I prize convenience over security.
http://ahdesign.us/blog/stn1170-bluetoo ... i-adapter/

Tried scantools obdlink mx and lx.
But they seem to keep asking to pair after 5 mins. Also noticed that if blue tooth audio is switched on, Connection to canion is not stable.
One good thing of obdlink is that I don’t have to swap dongles
:roll: 2011 i-MiEV - 141 kms June 2018

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 13:23

g4qber wrote:
Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 12:30
Tried scantools obdlink mx and lx.
But they seem to keep asking to pair after 5 mins. Also noticed that if blue tooth audio is switched on, Connection to canion is not stable.
I had endless problems with Bluetooth dongles - tried multiple dongles, multiple apps and multiple phones. My hope was to set up an automated system which would cut off my car charging when the battery hit 80% (as my daily commute used to consume less than 50% charge) but in the end I sold the dongles and have lived happily ever since...

I suspect the dongles are OK for ICE cars but there's too much going on with the CANbus on the iMiev, it puts too much load on the connection and that's on top of A: Bluetooth being an inconsistently-adhered-to standard and B: Android's Bluetooth stack being no better than anyone else's, and you end up with problems.

It can be made to work, don't get me wrong. But you can't just get it working once and then get into your car day after day and expect it to keep working. (I can barely do that with Bluetooth audio, and not with every phone...)

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 15:53

I tried a wifi dongle in the hope that would avoid the bluetooth issues, but didn't do much better (the cheap ebay one listed as compatible with evbatmon).
Joseph, which Jaycar dongle are you using, the bluetooth or the wifi one?

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 16:22

this sort of thing AMAZES me people buying a $15K to $30K car and then cry when a $5 OBDII unit that is a cheep crappy chines knock off dosent work on there $30K car

stop being cheep and but a quality OBDII unit for $25 to $50

i have one of these and have not has a sec of trouble with it in over 2 years and over 100 different cars i have used it on

KW902 Bluetooth OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner OBD2 Auto Reader Tool For Android

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 17:32

I only tried a cheap ($25-$50) wifi one after the expensive bluetooth one didn't work. I don't mind paying a bit once but not repeatedly for experimenting/troubleshooting. Both work fine on ICE cars, just not the i-MiEV. Have you tried yours on a 2010 i-MiEV?

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 17:37

Mike
There is only 1 Bluetooth dongle I know of at jaycar.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/obd-ii-engine ... y/p/PP2145

It takes a bit of setting up and is only for evbatmon.

My pmc with evbatmon last week was 70.42%

I normally only take a one off reading before swapping back to andy’s dongle

Mike do you have scantools obdlink mx or lx ?

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Sun, 27 Aug 2017, 15:49

Adverse Effects wrote:
Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 16:22
this sort of thing AMAZES me people buying a $15K to $30K car and then cry when a $5 OBDII unit that is a cheep crappy chines knock off dosent work on there $30K car

stop being cheep and but a quality OBDII unit for $25 to $50
I bought the one recommended by the older iMiev app, not EVbattmon, I forget the name now. It was AU$150. Worked great, but the Bluetooth reconnecting issue was still there, across several phones. It was the same with the WiFI version I got, and the other Bluetooth version I got after that, both of which were over $50.

Anyway I wasn't expecting quality from a $5 item!

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Sun, 27 Aug 2017, 18:57

Mike do you have scantools obdlink mx or lx ?
I'm not sure which, I borrowed Phil's. He says it is actually working quite well for him now with canion on his new phone.
Hooked it up to mine yesterday to see if there was any indication of the batteries suffering from running them flat recently, and they looked OK.
Had another go at evbatmon while I was there and got a bunch of errors.

I just realised I do actually have a $5 OBD dongle somewhere, which I may not have tried with evbatmon, might be worth a go.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Mon, 28 Aug 2017, 04:11

The jaycar unit connects but has warnings.

The aud150 unit is probably scantools
https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3870&p=49768&hilit ... 95f#p49768
History of canion and dongle issues