minicab miev

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
greggy
Noobie

minicab miev

Post by greggy »

its my first post on this forum, Ive always liked tiny cars, the I-miev included, but when I found out I could import a Minicab miev from japan, I went straight ahead. Its on its way from japan in the next week and has to be complied in Brisbane which means freighting it to hobart as I can't see how I could drive it doen 100+ ks per day.
Has anyone had any experience with the minicab miev?

zzcoopej
Groupie

minicab miev

Post by zzcoopej »

greggy wrote: I found out I could import a Minicab miev from japan, I went straight ahead. Its on its way from japan in the next week and has to be complied in Brisbane

Did you do it yourself or use an agent like www.j-spec.com.au/lineup/Mitsubishi/Minicab/MiEV/id-B91

greggy wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the minicab miev?

Robert from the company "Super Quick Electric" up in Queensland has one. You should be able to contact him via his business or Facebook, otherwise let me know via private message and I can put you in touch with him.

2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
bmscott
Groupie

minicab miev

Post by bmscott »

greggy wrote: Has anyone had any experience with the minicab miev?

No, but I for one would love to hear about yours!

I'm a fan of the wee cars too - tried to get Mercedes to let me import an electric Smart ForTwo awhile back, but they wouldn't even return my calls.
greggy
Noobie

minicab miev

Post by greggy »

I'll make sure to post a first impression once I get the little squirt, although I say that with some reservation as I sold my Steyr Haflinger to help finance it, and it was 550mm shorter.
Johny

minicab miev

Post by Johny »

You sold your Haflinger!!! Oh well the minicab will be a whole new experience. I remember a Haflinger (from the dealership) came on a Cross Country Jeep Club trip in about 1968. They were a tough little vehicle.
Did you get a 10.5 or 16kw/h minicab?
greggy
Noobie

minicab miev

Post by greggy »

I bought a 16kwh minicab, I want it to get to my off grid shack and back, but I still have the facility to charge it from the solar. The haffie was great, but my wife can't drive it, it was just too different. Also I don't mix well with people with dirty great 4wds.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

minicab miev

Post by nuggetgalore »

greggy wrote:The haffie was great,
Yes it was a great mountain goat (got to know them in the swiss army in the sixties). Sometimes wished to have one prospecting in the Victorian goldfields......dreams of long ago.

Wonder if anybody ever modified one to electric?

Edited to fix the [ quote ] bbcode
Last edited by rhills on Fri, 30 Jun 2017, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
greggy
Noobie

minicab miev

Post by greggy »

There was a newspaper article in Canberra about a chap who was doing just that, but he sounded like he was a bit of a dreamer rather than some one who had a fully sorted plan.
Solarmick
Noobie

Re: minicab miev

Post by Solarmick »

Hi Greg,
I saw you today in North Hobart, but did not had time to flag you down. Great to see one in Tassie.I ask around and someone from AEVA told me about you.
I was so exited since I am also very interested in the minicab and had contact the Importer from Melbourne Ben.
I would like to catch up with you to get first time Info about this nice little Van.
See you on Thursday at the AEVA Meeting.
Cheers Solar Mick
madmax2
Noobie

Post by madmax2 »

Hi all, also my first post.. Bought a MiniCab a couple of months ago, only now found the time to join etc - love it. No hassles at all, imported through Chris from JustBuses.com.au in Brisbane, great firm, great guy, great vehicle. Bought the van for a local brochure service - so lots of short trips. Saw the same model van in silver (mine is white) up here on Tamborine Mountain used by another company and after a test drive I was hooked. Got it fully signwritten - stands out a mile, I get flagged down all the time
FINAL VAN REAL_LEFT SIDE CONCEPT V30-1 200w.jpg
FINAL VAN REAL_LEFT SIDE CONCEPT V30-1 200w.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 12795 times
I also know one more local business who is in the process of purchasing one - so that makes it three in our small touristy area....The only alteration I di was install a plastic curtain between the driver's cab and the loading zone - in view of needing the aircon when it get s hotter, PLUS I replaced the radio - the Japanase one was a joke (does not even deserve the name "radio"!). Just thought I share this with anyone who is interested! Cheers from "MadMax"
wovenrovings
Groupie

Post by wovenrovings »

Hi everyone,
I have just recently start looking at ev's. The minicab has caught my eye. What I would really like is to see one or even drive one.
What sort of range are people seeing? I gather most are from 2011 or 2012?
Daniel.
madmax2
Noobie

Post by madmax2 »

Hi, Daniel, just went back on to the forum after a couple of months and saw your post - whereabouts are you located? Happy to meet with you for a chat and a test drive if you like - I am using my minicab close to everyday, Gold Coast Hinterland, but had it down at the coast several times already - just need a few more fast chargers down there do really get FULL use out of it. Am 100% happy with my minicab, perfect for what I use it for, made no noticeable difference to my power bill (am still wondering why not??) so in essence it's "free" motoring (we also have solar panels on the roof). There are now 3 of these up here on Tamborine Mountain!!
You are right with the built date - the imported ones are currently all 2011/12 - it apparently has to do with export regulations in Japan - to be classified as a "used" vehicle they need to be at least 5 years old. Also means that the local dealer network does not have to stock spare parts or whatever they need to do when Mitsubishi brings in a new model.
Range varies - right now I use the air con on "full blast" prettu much all the time - so the range goes down by about 15 to 20 kms - I get about 75kms out of the 16kw system in summer and about 100kms in winter when the aircon is not running, I normally don't run the heating, it's not cold enough up here.
Hope this helps, look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers - Detlef
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

There are a few later 2014 - 2017 Minicabs now that U68V compliance has been completed. Just Buses has brought in at least four, three red two-seaters and one white four-seater.
bazl
Noobie

Post by bazl »

One here with 118000 km, that one must have seen quite a few charge ups!

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcar ... index.html
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

That five year old story has been around a while but it isn't true. My Minicab is a 2017 model that had 15km on the clock and therr were no issues with importing it. As I understand the situation, as long as a vehicle has been registered in Japan even if only for a day, it is officially a 'used' car.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Took one of these for a drive the other day...absolute hoot!
Controller felt derated compared to an imiev hatch though.
storyjesse
Noobie

Post by storyjesse »

Hi I'd LOVE to get one of these. but I'm in WA and I haven't been able to find anywhere that can even replace a broken windscreen, let along the breakpads, etc. Do any of you know where and who I can get to repair this car if something breaks?
mubd
Noobie

Post by mubd »

Hello all,

I absolutely LOVE Japanese Kei cars AND EVs so I'm smitten with this one. It doesn't appear that they're all that expensive either at $20k brand new.

So when the time comes (would be a while off now), I'd want to import one. Does anyone know what the process is for these? I'd imagine warranties would also not cover anything, so that would be worth keeping in mind.
Travers
Noobie

Post by Travers »

Just got myself a 2012 Minicab and on the NSW Central Coast.
Keen to hear any progress with delimiting motors or battery upgrades and keen to be involved.
Travers
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

I've been following battery upgrade threads for some time but I've yet to see any sign of success with hacking the onboard computer to force it to recognize a different battery. If you've heard anything different I'm all ears.
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

Someone has to bite the bullet and spend about $10k on a potential failure. You'd want to at least have an alternative use for the cells if the car won't work with them. I'll definitely consider it when my pack doesn't give me the range anymore, but given pricing around $12k for a low mileage minicab which comes with spare parts other than just battery it's hard to justify. Maybe with enough minicabs there will be a big enough aftermarket.
legacyhardware
Noobie

Re: minicab miev in Melbourne?

Post by legacyhardware »

Does anybody in Melbourne have a miev minicab? I have been trying to find one to have a look at. I am thinking about importing so I would like to see one up close, before taking the plunge. I'm particularly interested in measuring the floor - roof height of the back door and the floor height from the ground.
Thanks
Raoul
Current Drive: still looking
Past Drive: Holden Volt
macropin
Noobie

Post by macropin »

Travers wrote: Mon, 15 Oct 2018, 08:41 Just got myself a 2012 Minicab and on the NSW Central Coast.
Keen to hear any progress with delimiting motors or battery upgrades and keen to be involved.
Travers
The minicab working out on the coast? I'm considering getting one, but I'm concerned about it's practicality on the coast, ie limited range, ability to handle the freeway.
Travers
Noobie

Post by Travers »

For us we don't need it for freeway as yet, ours is just the city car, its gets used so much and the other car gets left in the garage a lot and only brought out of if I don't ride to work (raining) or we need to go to sydney. It can do freeway speeds but not the sort of car you'd use for those trips anyway.
My wife uses it every day for work, school, shops and like our phones just gets plugged in and its full ready in the morning.
Oh and because there are no chargers in a good range is another reason we don't do freeway with it.
Brookes Minicab
Noobie

Post by Brookes Minicab »

I have just purchased a minicab through just buses. I don’t know how I feel about it and I’m unsure how it will go in my life but I am giving it a crack.
Drives like a regular minivan. In reference to a previously owned suzuki supercarry. Have been driving it work and back