I-MiEV Main battery cell failure

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
majorphill
Noobie

Re: I-MiEV Main battery cell failure

Post by majorphill »

Mike
Thanks for that
After they have tested the battery muliple times with the same " the battery is good " response, there is something else wrong.
I am still of the opinion that it is a computer / software problem. There's not much else in the car and as I understand it, the battery has a five year warranty, everything else is 10.
I will keep you posted
Regards
Phil
majorphill
Noobie

Post by majorphill »

Hi all

After talking to Paceway today it seems the battery is now out of warranty even though we had problems before the 5 years from first registration was up and they have worked on it off and on for about 15 months under warranty. Any further works to try to fix the car is chargeable. $154 per hour.

As they can't fault the battery my assumption was it would be covered by the 10 year drive train warranty but it appears that the 10 year warranty only applies to the original purchaser and doesn't flow on to a new owner.

Watch this space.

Regards

Phil
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

When we bought ours from Paceway we were told that because it was originally a 3 year lease, we were actually the first purchaser and would get 5 year warranty from purchase. My only documentation of this is a dodgy photocopy of a warranty certificate though. The new owners of Paceway don't seem to share that opinion but it might be worth trying if you have an issue. I still think it would be well worth your while to get evshop to have a look. I have only heard bad things about Paceway since AHG bought it and they are not an accredited EV service centre anymore.
majorphill
Noobie

Post by majorphill »

Mike

When we bought ours we received an email outlining the dates which started from when the vehicle was first registered (prior to us). They did manage to mess that up by saying the battery warranty was 10 years and the drive train was five.

We were told today that AHG won't honour the previous Paceway deals so who knows.

We will take it to the EV shop but I want to see what happens if we are paying rather than a warranty job.

Interesting to know that they have lost their EV certification. Hasn't stopped them selling Outlanders.

Regards

Phil
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I think they are still authorised for PHEV, just not EV, closest EV authorised service centre is in Adelaide.
I just had a closer look at the warranty certificate and it does actually state it is a "Diamond Pre Owned Vehicles Advantage Warranty Certificate", extension to 5 years from our purchase date, did you get anything like that? Doesn't say anything about being specific to the dealer, but I don't know how we would go about claiming on it if disputed.
Make sure you get a quote up front if getting paid work at Paceway. I didn't ask, assuming a service would be about the same as the last time ($200) and got stung for $650 for the 35,000km service. They said there were lots of things to inspect and it took a long time.
majorphill
Noobie

Post by majorphill »

Unfortunately all we have is an email stating the warranty started from the first registration.

I think we are going to be shafted.

From memory our 15000km service was about $400. Lots to check and took all day.

Our following service from Southside was about $250 but at least they gave me a checklist verifying that the oil levels were fine, the air cleaner was functioning, the spark plugs were good and a note that the brake fluid needed urgent replacement for another $200.

My local mechanic charged $80 and a chat about EVs.

The EV shop will be my next point of call.

They have only been authorised to do one hour so it will be interesting to see if they can find a solution in that time after not being able to find it in the last 15 months (and they have had the car in the workshop for two / three of those months).

Regards

Phil
majorphill
Noobie

Post by majorphill »

After much testing it is now the on board charger that has failed.

It was going to cost $4500 plus fitting until I reminded them that the charger had been replaced under recall about a year ago.

They are now doing it under warranty.

Time will tell if this lot of testing is any better than the last.
majorphill
Noobie

Post by majorphill »

A quick update

After replacing the charger Paceway queried our charge cable as the car wouldn't charge. Once that cable was tested and proven to be good they did manage to charge the car fully.

On the test drive by the dealer it stopped again.

I think they are out of ideas and are wishing they had never sold it. I am sure they have spent more on warranty work than the car cost.

Time will tell.

Regards

Phil
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

2011 battery has arrived. Will be fitted Tuesday onwards. Can’t wait. 2010 cells going back to skylogger, Kt and Tom. Thanks for loan of your cells. Have done 30k kms since feb.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I'm keen to see what we can do with the battery enclosure - easily fit >25 kWh worth of new cells in there!
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
adelaide-ev
Groupie

Post by adelaide-ev »

Yes please!
iMiev MY12 owner since December 2013
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

jonescg wrote: Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 13:34 I'm keen to see what we can do with the battery enclosure - easily fit >25 kWh worth of new cells in there!
that is an interesting thought. There are now at least 4 or five 2010s I know of in Melbourne that struggle to keep going for 100km on a charge.
Just to refill that enclosure with 16 kWh would be a bonus, are you joking or is there a realistic chance to do this?
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

No jokes - it should be easy enough to fit considerably more kWh in that space. 24 kWh is certainly doable with NMC or LiCo cells. I've been putting batteries together which would easily do this, however it wouldn't be cheap. Unfortunately 24 kWh would cost more than the value of the car simply because the economics of custom batteries aren't that great.

But if I had an empty enclosure I could suss out how much battery can be made to fit. Should be able to use the existing BMS hardware and everything. Getting the guess-o-meter to play nice might be a challenge, but it's certainly doable.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott »

nuggetgalore wrote: Sun, 19 Nov 2017, 11:09 There are now at least 4 or five 2010s I know of in Melbourne that struggle to keep going for 100km on a charge.
I snapped a photo at 8:30am this morning: https://imgur.com/gallery/nMK0m

Brag, yes; humble, not really...
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

bmscott wrote: Mon, 20 Nov 2017, 19:36
I snapped a photo at 8:30am this morning: https://imgur.com/gallery/nMK0m

Brag, yes; humble, not really...
2010 iMiEV 45k km
I get similar geuessometer readings after charging. But sadly this reading goes down by about 3 to 4 km after 1 km (and I use eco with a very light foot). I get about 7 km or more out of every kWh charged (measured at the power point that includes the charging losses). The battery capacity has reduced a fair bit . The cell volts generally are within 0.01 V or better when more than 3/4 full ,
at 10% SoC the canion showed once a bad 0.085.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

That still probably fits the "struggle to keep going for 100km" category. The only time I've run mine flat, it stopped with 7km RR still showing.
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott »

nuggetgalore wrote: Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 03:57 I get similar geuessometer readings after charging. But sadly this reading goes down by about 3 to 4 km after 1 km (and I use eco with a very light foot). I get about 7 km or more out of every kWh charged (measured at the power point that includes the charging losses). The battery capacity has reduced a fair bit .
Sure, but the estimate still looks good! Of course the guess is just a guess. When I start driving into the city, I head down several km of hills and the range estimate typically goes UP. But I normally don't charge my car all the way, so I usually see a number in the 80s when I get in.

Today I hit a new record (after doing that drive again, which is an unusual occurrence for me) - 120km!! https://imgur.com/gallery/G2Glh - I've only ever seen it go as high as 113km previously, and that was after I'd gone down the big hills.

It's nice to see the number can still go above 100 as I get closer to selling the car....
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

mikedufty wrote: Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 09:21 . The only time I've run mine flat, it stopped with 7km RR still showing.
Did it actually stop? The only two times I ran mine to about 10% SoC (as indicated in Canion) it had less than that RR. Although I did not push it ,I did not think it performed less than normal (I believe(!) that is what people refer to turtle.The little fuel sign on the battery charge indicator was waving like mad though.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Yes, became very slow for a few km, then failed to proceed at all. The actual turtle light never came on. I had done a very long slow downhill run trying to stretch the range, so the RR was indicating more than it normally would for that state of charge. Still disappointing that it can still show several km remaining when it won't run. Probably related to age of the battery as I know other people have reported it still going after the RR shows zero. Mine stopped less than 1km from home, I had gone past a charging opportunity because it looked like it would make it OK.
majorphill
Noobie

Post by majorphill »

Identical to what ours does.
Guessometer showing some km's to go. Slows down and then stops within a km. No fuel guage or turtle warning.
It's still in Paceway were they are testing the battery. Nine weeks of testing with no result.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Not particularly unhappy with ours because it went about 90km before doing that, which was about expected. Know not to trust the range meter now though. I always knew it wasn't precise, but I expected it to be more accurate as it ran out.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

mikedufty wrote: Mon, 04 Dec 2017, 12:51 Not particularly unhappy with ours because it went about 90km before doing that, which was about expected. Know not to trust the range meter now though. I always knew it wasn't precise, but I expected it to be more accurate as it ran out.
Yes the RR distance is to be taken with some caution. I think it extrapolates the distance from the recent history, and that can be one heck of difference to what comes next.
But have I missed what your bar meter was showing when it (resp just before) stopped?
Mine shows no bar at all when down to the last < 10%, but as mentioned earlier, no "turtle" except it is the furious flag waving of the fuel bowser sign that
indicates the turtle.But then turtle as I was told would not only shut of heater/AC but also power/speed.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I think it was showing no bars (one bar flashing) and the charger icon (if you look carefully it is not a fuel bowser) was flashing. I had just done a really long slow downhill run trying to maximise the range so it would have been showing more km per bar than usual. I suspect if driving normally it would have been less than 7 km to go when I stopped. At one point in the drive (top of the hill) the RR was much less than the distance home.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

mikedufty wrote: Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 11:02 I think it was showing no bars (one bar flashing) and the charger icon (if you look carefully it is not a fuel bowser) was flashing.
Thanks for the answer. I never looked closely enough to see what my" bowser" was. Of course it was silly to interpret it as a dino juice hose! But it was fun watching it go mad.....
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

EV shop / EFI Autos quoted me $12,939.30 incl GST

I had the
a) 12V batt replaced
b) transmission fluid
c) brake fluid changed
$1167 incl GST

so total was $14,106.30
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x