Tyres??

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Peter C in Canberra

Tyres??

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

g4qber wrote: Correct dry air is good. Where do we get it?

To some extent, compressor air, if sent via a storage tank, is likely to be dried a bit anyway. Water vapour in the compressed air cooling in a tank will condense so the tank should have a drain. When the air is drawn off the tank it will be drier than the source air was, albeit not super dry.

In a previous life I used to open the manual drain on a compressed air tank once a week before we got an automatic drain. In our case we wanted extra clean, laboratory grade air so it went through further drying and various stages of filtration for hydrocarbons and other things. That air was then drawn off for various scientific instruments or to feed a nitrogen generator that stripped out the oxygen to feed very clean nitrogen to various instruments. For ordinary car tyres, I'd say the dryish air from an ordinary compressor/tank arrangement should be fine. Not quite good enough for a sensitive mass spectrometer, but that is not what we are doing here!
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Tyres??

Post by zzcoopej »

Has anyone used the tyre goo aerosol can that comes with the iMiEV? I have a slow leak on my ride-on mower and wonder if I can use tiny bit of the can and still have the rest for the iMiEV, or can you only use the can only once? I think the can in the PHEV is the same as the iMiEV so it should be ample even after I use a bit?
Last edited by zzcoopej on Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
mikedufty

Re: Tyres??

Post by mikedufty »

Just put Continental eco contacts on our 2010 i-MIEV, $520 for a full set from continental best drive in Thomas St Subiaco. Didn't choose the best day for it, as access to shop was cut off by the fire in Kings Park this morning, but they opened the road by lunch time. Had 46750km on the original rears, which still had some life, but the fronts were dead after only 26,000 km. They did find the front wheel alignment was out, so I hope the new ones will last longer. Changed to the wider 155/60 on the front, which does seem to make the steering a little heavier (good).
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott »

Our family's trusted-for-many-years mechanic is evaluating my 2010 iMiev for a roadworthy cert as I'm preparing to sell. He says the only thing it needs is front tires, and so far he can only find them for $200+ each, though he's going to keep looking. Anyone found better deals in Victoria?
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Have you tried looking for the options discussed in this thread, Kumho's seem to be available cheapish on tyresales.com.au and elsewhere. The 10mm wider option (155/60) may be easier to find than stock too, seems to fit very well.
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott »

mikedufty wrote: Fri, 16 Feb 2018, 16:49 Have you tried looking for the options discussed in this thread, Kumho's seem to be available cheapish on tyresales.com.au and elsewhere. The 10mm wider option (155/60) may be easier to find than stock too, seems to fit very well.
I've READ the other options but not sure what my mechanic wants to use, I'll have to check back with him. At the time I spoke to him, he'd just finished the inspection and said he'd only checked Goodyear, just a few doors down from his shop. But I have copied the other references out of this thread (and will probably have to print them out for him...) - one way or another I don't think we're paying $225 each!
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Yes, I just paid $520 for 4, so about half that. No negotiation, just paid the quoted price from the nearest dealer on the continental tyres australian webpage.
https://www.continental-tyres.com.au/car
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Guessometer range seems to have dropped about 10% since getting the continentals. The rears are not "eco" models, and the fronts are a little wider, so could be less efficient. There would be some loss in reported range due to the unworn tyres being larger (ie. reported km are a little longer than the old km) Seems fairly accurate to GPS distance so may have been overestimating real range with the worn tyres.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Just replaced the original rear tyres with Dunlop's with POTENZA RE050A 175/55R15 77V. From what I can see the tread depth is a lot deeper and wider than typical tire of this size. Will measure later to confirm.

Discounted price on tiresales for $146 each.