What to replace i-MiEV with?

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 »

When I first bought the i-MiEV I was thinking I could trade it in at the end of it's five year warranty on a new EV. I thought there would be a wider range of more reasonably priced cars to choose from.

Looking ahead to 2018 seems that there won't be anthing but the overpriced BMW i3 and some kind of Tesla to choose from in the Australian market!

Looking at what is available in the rest of the world, I like the look of the new 41kWh battery long range Renault Zoe. Will we ever see that car here? Will the high power AC fast charging system it has be supported by Australian charging infrastructure? Seem like DC fast charging is more likely to be rolled out here?

Thoughts anyone?
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

sadly we have governments who think coal is the future, and hence, are not the slightest interested in anything in regards to EV's and the infrastructure required for fast charging. I have been looking at the Australian market for a second BEV to park next to out PHEV. but sadly, we are limited to the Leaf, Imiev and thats about it, though i have even looked at the imported Minicab (imiev vans)    
Sadly i dont think it will change in the foreseeable future, even with the upcoming changes to importation laws for vehicles.
its been a plan of mine, on a decent lotto win sadly, to open a car dealership, in Australia that deals specifically with EV's and want to import all models from a global market.    but hey, sadly its still a dream.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Yes, we're disadvantaged by the Aussie thought-bubble that you need a car that can get you from Melbourne to Perth with only 5 minutes notice before leaving. Also small market. Love the see the Chevy Bolt (Bolt not Volt) here but no right-hand drive until GM see solid sales for it.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Only 2 cars due this year are a MB C class 350e and the updated Outlander PHEV. Tesla model X deliveries start next week.

Pretty crap...

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

With any luck the Model 3 will be available about this time next year...
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

viewtopic.php?title=mercedes-c350e-gle500e-s500e&t=5103

Merc phevs already here since last year

Don't buy Chrysler, jeep, dodge, Alfa, fiat, Volvo or merc according to John Cadogan.
Go for Hyundai, Kia and Mazda.
http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-car/d ... uy-in-2016
Last edited by g4qber on Fri, 20 Jan 2017, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 »

reecho wrote: Only 2 cars due this year are a MB C class 350e and the updated Outlander PHEV. Tesla model X deliveries start next week.

Pretty crap...

Can't even get a Leaf at the moment, hope nothing happens to the i-MiEV it's almost irreplacable right now.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

15 leaf
14 model s
7 i3
38 outlander phev
on car sales
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 21 Jan 2017, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Simon

Post by Simon »

What about the Hyundai Ioniq Phev and EV? Is there a chance we will see them here soon? Image
Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 »

g4qber wrote: 15 leaf
14 model s
7 i3
38 outlander phev
on car sales

Wasn't really wanting a PHEV or a 2012 Leaf with a 5+ year old battery pack. i3 price is a bit too steep for the range you are getting. Simply can't afford Model S.
thardy456
Noobie

Post by thardy456 »

Yes it's a bit disheartening, I suppose we just need to be patient !!

I'm guessing in about 3 to 5 years we won't need to own a car anymore. We just download the Tesla ride sharing app and tell it where we need to go.

It will be much cheaper than owning a car !! Can't wait.
Cheers, T.
2010 iMiEV (ex-WA)
2004 Prius itech
6kW solar PV
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-car/n ... y-a-bmw-i3
http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-car/b ... f-the-year

Your choice is correct - Don't buy i3 n tesla.
unless you are an early adopter.

http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-car/mail-sack-12
JC reckons that the tesla is a gamechanging s'box
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 21 Jan 2017, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi,
I've seen "autoexpert" on utube. He's definitely got "the look"

So let's define an "auto expert".

It doesn't mean anything.

"Please carefully consider this product as your circumstances may vary"
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

thardy456 wrote: Yes it's a bit disheartening, I suppose we just need to be patient !!

I'm guessing in about 3 to 5 years we won't need to own a car anymore. We just download the Tesla ride sharing app and tell it where we need to go.

Hi, I'm new here,have just bought (for better or worse) a 2010 iMiEV.
So far nobody has replied to any of my posts,not sure if it is still not visible because I'm only a new member,in Rowville,Vic.
I am trying to learn more re the 2010 and owners know certainly more than I can gleam from the Mitsubishi dealers.
Hope to catch up with you.
Cheers
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

nuggetgalore wrote:Hi, I'm new here,have just bought (for better or worse) a 2010 iMiEV.
So far nobody has replied to any of my posts,not sure if it is still not visible because I'm only a new member,in Rowville,Vic.
I am trying to learn more re the 2010 and owners know certainly more than I can gleam from the Mitsubishi dealers.
Hope to catch up with you.
Cheers
Hi Tinker, welcome to the forum.

All newcomers have their first 10 posts moderated (ie checked by an admin) before they are published, a nuisance that we've had to introduce to keep spammers out.

Things are probably a little quieter than usual at present because of the time of year. You may well see more replies to posts as we get deeper into January.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

Thanks Rob,
I understand the problem re spammers.
That also explains why I am unable to get into the for sale thread.
Thanks again for explaining.
I am very much into sustainability ,there is much to learn.
So people on here as on other "green" sites can exchange knowledge and help each other
Cheers
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Simon wrote: What about the Hyundai Ioniq Phev and EV? Is there a chance we will see them here soon? Image
The Hyundai dealer in Hobart has said they will be getting a charger installed later in the year for the introduction of the Ioniq. Optimistically, you may think they wouldn't need one for the PHEV (just use a 10A/15A) and so they are planning for the introduction of the full EV?
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

Hippie403 wrote: When I first bought the i-MiEV I was thinking I could trade it in at the end of it's five year warranty on a new EV. I thought there would be a wider range of more reasonably priced cars to choose from.

Thoughts anyone?

I just bought my first EV and all I could afford was a 2010 iMiEV.
Now I am looking for an owners manual(sadly missing,I was led to believe it was there but its only an advertising leaflet). I am also looking for a Melbourne 2010 owner who can teach me a few tricks .
Hope to catch up with you soon.
Thanks
evseaustralia
Noobie

Post by evseaustralia »

Chuq wrote:
Simon wrote: What about the Hyundai Ioniq Phev and EV? Is there a chance we will see them here soon? Image
The Hyundai dealer in Hobart has said they will be getting a charger installed later in the year for the introduction of the Ioniq. Optimistically, you may think they wouldn't need one for the PHEV (just use a 10A/15A) and so they are planning for the introduction of the full EV?

I doubt it. Seems like most companies are taking the PHEV route first. They will probably install an EV charging station to allow for faster charging speeds as they will likely have a couple of cars which may be getting used frequently for test drives etc.

Really disappointing that there is no plans for the Bolt to come to Aus, that could have made a big difference to overall acceptance of EV's. When the Model 3 finally drops i can see much more interest across the board.
http://www.evse.com.au
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, Charging Cables and Accessories
Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 »

nuggetgalore wrote: I just bought my first EV and all I could afford was a 2010 iMiEV.
Now I am looking for an owners manual(sadly missing,I was led to believe it was there but its only an advertising leaflet). I am also looking for a Melbourne 2010 owner who can teach me a few tricks .
Thanks

My i-MiEV is a 2012 model, there are some detail differences from the 2010.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

Hippie403 wrote:
nuggetgalore wrote: I just bought my first EV and all I could afford was a 2010 iMiEV.
Thanks

My i-MiEV is a 2012 model, there are some detail differences from the 2010.

thanks for the reply.
I have a couple of mates with a 2012 model,we are keen to get to know more of us.
As the batts in all models age,we need to find out more of the nitty gritty stuff.
My mobile no is 0459324019
cheers
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

thardy456 wrote: Yes it's a bit disheartening, I suppose we just need to be patient !!

Think again, nothing ever goes down only up. Is it cheaper to take a taxi everywhere you want to go than owning a car? Is it more convenient to wait for an Uber or taxi every time you want to go just down the road for some f@gs? (I'm sorry over zealous auto nanny content protection, is cigarettes more acceptable to you?)

Not having your own transport would spell the end of our individual freedom, I hope we never see such a thing.
Last edited by EV2Go on Wed, 25 Jan 2017, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I don't see automated vehicles taking over. I've just got back from 2 weeks in Singapore. Taxis are very cheap there (often cheaper than buses for a group of four) I suspect cheaper than a self driving tesla. Everyone still wants their own car, and plenty of people happy to pay $100,000 for a Corolla (car ownership charges are used to subsidise the buses and taxis).
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Some of the taxis are even electric.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Why replace it just replace the battery. That's my plan for our 2012 imiev on its 10th birthday if it needs it. I would say it's the best value for money choice. Best environmental choice.

One reason Why I want to keep the imiev is. A lot of the new EVs have big battery capacitys. Packs that are 40kwh+ if the Imiev's range on a fresh battery (one less than 10 years old) is enough for your needs. Then why own (and pay for) a 40+ kwh battery that you only use 10 - 20kwh of on any regular drive. The other 20 - 30kwh just degrades over time. A bit like purchasing a 3lt milk for the week when you only consume 1lt it will go off before you use it.

I really believe in the use it or loose it scenario with ev traction packs. Two 5 year old imiev's of the same age one with 20,000km the other with 80,000km I'm 100% sure the imiev with 80,000km wont have 4x less range than the one with 20,000km. I think the 80,000km Imiev it would be lucky to have 5-10% less range if any.

Even if the Imiev's battery is $10,000 (Im sure its less) that's only $1,000 PA more than made up for with fuel savings and maintenance costs over a ice.

Kurt.
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 25 Jan 2017, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.