3D printing replacement parts

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Mon, 07 Mar 2016, 17:12

I've damaged the passenger-side mirror on my iMiev, and while it still more or less works, there's definitely some broken plastic parts inside (plus, the outer shell is being held on by tape now!)

A replacement will run me something like $450, and the thought occurred to me, I can get a 3D printer for about that much too... so I'm wondering about repairing rather than replacing the mirror. Maybe it's only one or two gears/support arms that have broken (I haven't really taken a look inside).

What I'm wondering is whether I'm likely to be able to find a detailed exploded-parts diagram of the mirror online somewhere? I used to fix laser printers and even back then, in the late 90s, you could get pretty extensive info online about every last little screw. But my Googling so far has turned out nothing useful.

Advice, ideas, comments, suggestions, or contempt?

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 01:56

Is the review mirror a generic part that is used on several Mitsubishi models?

It might be worth checking if a similar vintage lancer, mirage or the like has the identical mirrors (perhaps at a lower list price) or at least it's a common local model that could be obtained from the wreckers.

On that note most of the internals mechanical of the mirrors are identical. As the motor drive units are outsourced and just fitted to different style outer shells.

But hey if you want a excuse to buy a printer 1/2 you luck but try the above if you just want a better deal.

Kurt

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 04:29

I thought I was going to be pioneering something by making 3D printed circuit boards.... till I found a mob has already perfected it along with adding the solder to the components and baking it.
What I'm trying to say is the world of 3D printing is moving ahead so fast it might nearly be easier to write the program or even find someone with the scanner to take the image, then get someone who already has a 3D printer to make the bits for you.
Unless you have a line up of work for the printer to do it may end up as one of those outdated toys that tend to fill every available space.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 05:03

While you might buy a 3D printer for $450 you will need to spend 3 to 4 times that to buy something half decent to produce a repair worthy of buying one.

I have a friend in England that has bought about 3 or 4 printers over $1000, and each one of them has required modification to provide half decent results.

bladecar
Groupie

Post by bladecar » Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 15:13

Hi

In "Model Boats" January 2016 (English magazine, at some newsagents, maybe at larger shopping centres), there is an article about the idea of using 3d printers to make model boat parts.

They name www.thingiverse.com as a fantastic resource for data and programs.

In the article, the writer says: "As an addendum to all this what we need now and to thoroughly understand, are inexpensive hand-held 3D scanners, so objects (even full-size) can be scanned to create the necessary computer file to then print a miniature copy...."

He agrees that printers are evolving rapidly.

I should add that there seems to be a lot to know.

"I have to say at the outset, that there is a big THANK YOU to David Collins of the Romford Model Engineering Society who was immensely helpful in allowing me to use some of the pictures of the 3D printed parts he has made on his own self-designed machine."

This may be useful.

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 16:16

offgridQLD wrote: Is the review mirror a generic part that is used on several Mitsubishi models?

It might be worth checking if a similar vintage lancer, mirage or the like has the identical mirrors (perhaps at a lower list price)

Well that's something I'd love to know too, but how to check? I don't expect Mitsubishi to tell me - the few times I've spoken to anyone at Chadstone (the local "iMiev experts") their people skills were sub-par... should I be asking around on a more general Mitsubishi forum?
T1 Terry wrote:What I'm trying to say is the world of 3D printing is moving ahead so fast it might nearly be easier to write the program or even find someone with the scanner to take the image, then get someone who already has a 3D printer to make the bits for you.

Agreed, but the world of 3D printing has been moving ahead fast for a good 3-4 years now and you have to jump on the bandwagon sooner or later... I've been waiting for a compelling reason (I also have kids, Arduino stuff, and etc) to plunk down the cash. Saving $450 on a mirror replacement (given our insurance deductible is $600...) seems like it.

But you're also right - easier to do it with someone else's printer. There's some maker-guys in the area I've spoken to in the past, while trying to get a replica Tesla badge/logo for my iMiev. Or just send an order off to Shapeways, of course!

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 16:22

EV2Go wrote: While you might buy a 3D printer for $450 you will need to spend 3 to 4 times that to buy something half decent to produce a repair worthy of buying one.

I have a friend in England that has bought about 3 or 4 printers over $1000, and each one of them has required modification to provide half decent results.

They got a 3D printer where I worked 4 years ago and it was fiddly as hell, as we all expected.

The difference is, now you can buy retail-boxed ones at local storefronts like Scorptec and even Aldi (!). So if something goes flooey, you take it back. Not as risky of a purchase, and there's a huge community of middle-aged guys with throat-beards who are eager to help you with your adjustments!

Anyway, to refocus on my original question - does anyone know where I might find detailed drawings of the innards of the mirror? I just can't get over the fact that I was able to get exhaustive details about mechanical appliances freely online nearly 20 years ago but now I can't even confirm whether buying a genuine service manual would give me what I want...

I'll probably end up scanning the broken parts - or the good ones from the other side? - and fiddling around with the model on the computer. But given the slivers of free time I have, that seems like something I'd spend months doing!

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 16:28

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Mar 2016, 02:33

Take your review mirror and go to a wrecking yard that has a good stock Mitsubishi. Compare the two. It will soon become clear if it's the same mirror as another car.

I'm 99% sure it's the same as the 2012+ mirage and lancer. The mirror and shell assembly not the mount to the door. Though as long as your actual mount on the door hasn't been snapped off I wouldn't think so they are a very common car.

Next time your in a car park scan about and your bound to find a lancer or mirage. Ta quick look and compare. Then if it looks like it's the same make a detailed comparison and the wrecking yard.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Wed, 09 Mar 2016, 13:50

I agree a salvage yard would be ideal, but I'm not sure how to go about finding one with a good selection of cars only 4-5 years old! The ones near me which have stock lists online have only one or two Mitsubishis, and they're from the 90s...

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Wed, 09 Mar 2016, 14:00

Ah, correction, I found one which has some Lancers as young as 2003....

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Mar 2016, 14:17

Every model car gets smashed. Keep looking there is a stack of them lancer and mirage are popular cars ywith the less experienced drivers. 2012+ is a old car by wrecking yards standards.

Kurt

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Wed, 09 Mar 2016, 19:58

Has anyone seen the service manuals for an iMiev? Does it have an exploded-parts diagram for the mirror(s)? The first time I open mine might be the last time it works, so I'd like to be prepared to complete the job if possible...

bmscott
Groupie

Re: 3D printing replacement parts

Post by bmscott » Tue, 08 Aug 2017, 18:04

In case anyone's interested - I finally got a 3D printer last week and have been finalizing the calibration and adjustments... printed myself a Tesla logo today (a small test run) and had my wife paint it with nail polish: http://i.imgur.com/Q1aTEtP.jpg

Need one about 300% bigger and some real chrome enamel paint before I epoxy it to my iMiev!

Johny

Post by Johny » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 09:54

Very interested Ben. Trivial things like indicator switch return plastic gizmos are very rare for Hillman/Humber Rootes cars of the 1960's.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 10:29

3D printers can be very cheap now. I got an anet a8 kit for under $200. You can find heaps of info online on all the modifications you should do to make them decent, but mine is completely standard and quite impressive what it can do. I think stronger materials than PLA can be tricky. PLA seems quite tough, but I think may have problems outdoors.

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 12:31

Interesting - didn't think that 3D printers had got down to that level.
I see flea bay (142445138691) has this for $233 delivered.
I was told about the ones from Aldi but they were like $600-800.

Here is an i3 (262981265947) for $221.
Or a 101Hero (311901452354) for $160.

That's nuts!

Normally I go to my local library and they print out my stuff for $10ea.
Most of the stuff I print is not critical - just close enough is good enough.

For that price is probably worth having one around then IF I need a good printout I can take the tested proto to someone!
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 19:07

cheep 3D printers are not "cheep"

i have been fighting with a suppler of a 3d kit for over 3 months to try and get them replace badly manufactured parts

so its $400AUD down the drain

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 22:41

Mine was $184 inc postage from gearbest.com , they are a bit more now (anet a8 http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d ... 37314.html)
I haven't had to replace anything, but when I have had faulty stuff from them before they have sent a free replacement if you send photos/video showing the fault.
The kit does require a bit of effort to build correctly, but possibly better than getting something cheaply assembled by someone else. I might see it differently if I really need something to work, but I just got it for fun really. I have managed to make a few useful bits and pieces with it.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 09:49

ahh yes but the unit i wanted to get has a build area of 350mm x 350mm x 400mm High and a all ali frame

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 15:15

Cheap printers are really pot luck, even paying $1000+ for one doesn't guarantee results, but it is generally going to outperform the cheap and nasties. Think mine was about $350 and seems to work fine, but I am in the process of doing upgrades which is probably another $150-$200.

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 08:57

I also bought the Anet A8 after reading dozens of positive reviews. It's remarkably complete, capable and flexible, especially for the money. The advantage of building it from a kit is that you understand how every part fits together, and feel confident deciding what to upgrade or tweak going forward.

I'm sure there are plenty of risky choices when buying implausibly cheap stuff from overseas, which is why I rarely buy anything more than $5-$10, but the positive press on the Anet was overwhelming and I'd already waited a good 5 years for prices to come down!

Two weeks in I'm very happy with it and it's turning out stuff every day. Currently working on motorized window blind parts https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2392856 after clearing out the wishlist of my two kids and a few other novelties like https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2375745

However, I still have no info on parts diagrams for the iMiev outside mirror, which was the original purpose of this thread. Sooner or later I'm just going to take the plunge and open up my mirror to see what I can deduce....

BTW MikeDufty - I'm active on the Whirlpool 3D printing thread and have joined the FB Anet A8 group. But if you know any better fora to discuss 3D printing and general maker-type stuff related to Arduino, Raspberry Pi and/or ESP8266, I'd appreciate a PM...

Also note: the $160 eBay item Richo mentioned is just a frame, no electronics. Although they're not pricey. I've seen a few Kickstarters for US$100 printers, but all have failed. At the moment, the $200-ish Anet A8 is the best reliable deal on a full-featured printer.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 09:51

I've subscribed to the facebook group, but the only thing anyone seems interested in there is upgrading their printer to allow them to print upgraded parts for their printer.

I've subscribed to https://www.reddit.com/r/functionalprint/ to see examples of what useful stuff people are doing with their printers.
I did buy the recommended Mosfet but haven't got around to installing it yet. Probably nice to have if doing long unattended prints, but really seems to be doing fine for my purposes completely stock, even with the H frame "upside down" ie installed according to the instructions.