Carrying bikes?

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
bmscott
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by bmscott » Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 16:55

I'm trying to find a way to carry a bunch of bicycles on my iMiev, but I'm not making a lot of progress.

The mechanics I've asked, and Mitsubishi, say there's no way to put a rear rack on via tow-bar. I've got 4 bikes - 2 adult and 2 kids' - to tote around. And my wife's bike is electric too, so it'll be heavier.

My wife's car is a Nissan Cube, which shares an inability to carry a rack on the back, and she doesn't want her adorable beloved car dented up with a roof rack...

The iMiev is so narrow I can't see it carrying that many bikes on top OR slung over the rear hatchback, really.

I'm guessing I'm SOL here but thought I'd ask anyway, just in case I'm overlooking something. (trailer? a hatchback carrier that holds bikes vertically?)

offgridQLD

Carrying bikes?

Post by offgridQLD » Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 18:57

That's what I use to carry my Mountain bike.

scrawl down the page to the 5th post to find pics of it on my car.
viewtopic.php?title=new-to-the-forum-ne ... t=8&t=3714

That one will hold 3 bikes. I also have roof racks for my Imiev that could hold another bike up top. you can get a kit for the RR that uses the QR spigot so they don't sit up so high. Though I assume Thule also sell a 4 bike version of the same rear rack I use.

I have had no issue with the rack and regularly use it on a 100km trip with freeway and twisty county roads,(some dirt).

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

bmscott
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by bmscott » Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 22:06

Thanks - it didn't seem prudent to ride around with bikes hanging off the back of the car sideways like that, but if you've done it as much as you say, maybe I'm overthinking it.

I can't pay Thule prices though - I'm going to have to learn more about what types of racks will fit my car and then scour eBay/Gumtree/Craigslist etc. But this does open up my options at least!

mikedufty

Carrying bikes?

Post by mikedufty » Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 23:04

There are similar cheaper racks around. The one I have doesn't go on the iMiEV well though as the plastic around the top of the hatch makes it difficult to hook on without damaging something. Mine also only takes 2-3 bikes.

Jeff Owen
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by Jeff Owen » Sat, 14 Nov 2015, 01:09

bmscott wrote: I'm trying to find a way to carry a bunch of bicycles on my iMiev, but I'm not making a lot of progress.

You could upgrade to small wheeled folding bikes and carry them inside the car.
Or, you could fit a tow bar for mounting a bike rack, but not use it for towing.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=664

If you are worried about the bikes projecting beyond the car too much, just remove the front wheels
Last edited by Jeff Owen on Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Carrying bikes?

Post by offgridQLD » Sat, 14 Nov 2015, 02:52

As mentioned in my linked post. I purchase my Thule rack 2nd hand from a garage sale ( can't remember the price offhand somthing like $30.

The bike dosn't stick out any wider than the car. So if the car fits through the bike will fit to.

The majority perhaps 80% of the things I buy are 2nd hand. If I see somthing I like but the price is wrong I hunt it down used.

I think carrying 4 adult bikes on a tiny car will always be a compromise. It looks like a lot going on even on a large family car.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

mikedufty

Carrying bikes?

Post by mikedufty » Sun, 15 Nov 2015, 00:14

I don't think folding bikes are a solution to carrying 4 bikes and 4 people. My parents can manage 2 bikes and 2 people by putting a folding bike and a full size mtb with wheels removed in the back with seats down.

woody

Carrying bikes?

Post by woody » Mon, 16 Nov 2015, 21:46

Bikes aren't that long, you won't get a non-tandem non-cargo bike which is longer than the imiev is wide (including the mirrors).

As much as I hate them I think roof racks with bike carriers are your only option: e.g. http://www.pushys.com.au/thule-freeride ... -2015.html

You might need to get longer roofracks than would normally fit to get the bikes all on, try not to bang your head on them when you get out of the car and don't drive into a garage / carport / drive-through.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

mikedufty

Carrying bikes?

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 16 Nov 2015, 23:38

My dual suspension MTB, not even a 29er, sticks out past everything bar the mirrors on a Subaru Outback. I'd be surprised if it is not a little wider than an i-MiEV.

offgridQLD

Carrying bikes?

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 02:05

Yes the Imiev is 1810mm wide including the mirrors and the bike HKS 3500 dual suspention is about 1820mm (large frame & 27.5mm wheels) Though when it's on the rack the front wheel should be supported with the included straps. Doing so the wheel is turned reducing the overall length of the bike to well within the cars total width.

So like I said it doesn't stick out past the car. If the car fits the bike will fit to. If your not comfortable with that then take the wheels off or at least the front one and gain 300mm+. If you don't wantthe wheel in the car it can go on the rear rack in the center of the bike with a strap

If you want to carry multiple large bikes and 4 adults I don't think the Imiev is your ideal car.

The most I have carried is my wife's 26" MTB on the rear rack with my daughters 8yo kids size bmx on the rack and my recumbent trike on the roof racks.

If you real keen to carry multiple large bikes on the Imiev. I would look at the two bolts center rear of the sub frame (look under the rear bumper in the middle then look straight up_ They are spaced about 150mm apart (from memory) and solid enough to mount a small (accessory hitch for bikes) though it would have to be labeled so that it was only for bike racks and not for towing.Make it a non standard hitch size with a adapter to your bike rack and if you sold the car take it off.

If I get time I will look into fabricating one. you could have access to it from the removable plastic section in the rear bumper.

Kurt

Peter C in Canberra

Carrying bikes?

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 02:30

offgridQLD wrote: ... you could have access to it from the removable plastic section in the rear bumper. Kurt

Why did Mitsubishi put a removable plastic section in the rear bumper? Did they intend something to be attached to the structure behind?
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity. Kona on order.

offgridQLD

Carrying bikes?

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 13:13

"Why did Mitsubishi put a removable plastic section in the rear bumper? Did they intend something to be attached to the structure behind? "

The Icar (turbo petrol car that was the base for the Imiev) had a red reflector or light in that spot.

Kurt

bmscott
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by bmscott » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 18:13

Jeff Owen wrote:Or, you could fit a tow bar for mounting a bike rack, but not use it for towing.

I'd prefer a trailer-hitch approach but both my mechanic and the Mitsubishi dealer said that was not possible for the iMiev... thanks for the link, I'll check with these dudes!

bmscott
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by bmscott » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 18:27

offgridQLD wrote:If you want to carry multiple large bikes and 4 adults I don't think the Imiev is your ideal car.

True enough. I have two small kids though, so we all fit OK, and if we could carry the bikes on my wife's car (Nissan Cube) we would.

The iMiev is definitely my ideal car though - I've wanted to go electric for years and I finally found one I could afford! I love everything about it so far and I'm not going back!
offgridQLD wrote:If you real keen to carry multiple large bikes on the Imiev. I would look at the two bolts center rear of the sub frame (look under the rear bumper in the middle then look straight up_ They are spaced about 150mm apart (from memory) and solid enough to mount a small (accessory hitch for bikes)
[...]
If I get time I will look into fabricating one. you could have access to it from the removable plastic section in the rear bumper.

"Accessory hitch" - another new term for me, sounds like what I should be looking for... Thanks!

Note that I don't seem to have a "removable section" on the bumper:

Last edited by bmscott on Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Carrying bikes?

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 22:46

Looks like the 2010 model has a different bumper. You would have two options. One try and have it fabricated to it sat flush with the bottom of the bumper. That would require a extension to bring it down lower or have a square hole cut out where the hitch would be. It would have a rubber/plastic cap over it when not in use.

Each way if your not handy with a welder. It's going to involve having some one custom fabricate something for you. Some towbar shops would do it for you. though it would not be a rated (trailer towing) hitch. The plate would just say 100kg or the like. It would most likely cost you a lot more than just purchasing the Thule roof racks and two bike adapter kits for it. + a rear Thule bike rack for the kids bike.

Electric bike remove the battery when transporting to reduce weight.

The US Imiev tow bars will not fit our cars. Or be legal.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

bmscott
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by bmscott » Thu, 19 Nov 2015, 18:48

offgridQLD wrote:The US Imiev tow bars will not fit our cars. Or be legal.

Also good to know, that's saved me some time. Thanks again!

(It's actually starting to look more like we should just take both cars everywhere...)

Jeff Owen
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by Jeff Owen » Thu, 19 Nov 2015, 19:58

According to the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads, a tow bar like device for carrying a bike rack would not require certification or approval. It would be considered an accessary and just has to be safe for other road users. i.e. no sharp edges.

This means you could make one, or use an overseas tow bar as long as you don't use it to tow a trailer.

mikedufty

Carrying bikes?

Post by mikedufty » Thu, 19 Nov 2015, 20:15

Its very common to have to cut holes in plastic bumpers to fit tow bars these days.

The problem with the i-MiEV is there is not much behind the plastic to attach a bar to.

bmscott
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by bmscott » Tue, 16 Feb 2016, 18:54

I just thought back to last year's EV Expo at Swinburne and one of the pics I took - this is before I bought an iMiev and even before we got bikes for the whole family, but now that I give the photo a second look, it seems almost like a bike rack!

But of course, it's not... anyone know what it really is? Why the bumper is missing? Nobody was there to talk about the Mitsubishis at the time.Image

TooQik
Groupie

Carrying bikes?

Post by TooQik » Tue, 16 Feb 2016, 22:18

Just guessing here, but judging by the wind up handle on the top I'd say it's some kind of mobility aid carrier.