New PHEV experience: "Maintain Fuel System"

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

We've had our Outlander PHEV over a year now and we're still loving it, except today I lost my "EV Grin".

This morning I left home with the tank 5/6 full, full charge and 2600km so far on this tankful of fuel. I completed one of my "usual" journeys, about 40km easily on battery and plugged in at my destination. This evening, I got back in the car to drive home and it was fully charged of course. Started up and the engine came on, together with this message on the screen:
I've never seen this before! The engine ran for the whole of the 40km trip home, ignoring my attempts to coerce it back into electric mode GRRR!

The sharp-eyed amongst you will notice that the "Charge Mode" is enabled - I couldn't toggle this using the "Charge" button.

I'm hoping the car remembers how to be an EV again when I drive it tomorrow. I was looking forward to getting over 3000km to a 40L tankful of fuel Image .

Mostly I've been highly impressed with the way the Outlander PHEV manages the balance between using electric drive and petrol. Today has taken the shine off a bit Image
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Oct 2020
Total Petrol: 756.3L
ODO: 67508
Av Consumption: 1.12 L/100km
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

Makes sense that it would start up every now and then to clean out the pipes. You never know what might be living in those fuel lines...
Johny

Post by Johny »

It's not just the fuel system - it's the whole ICE system. The engine and exhaust system need to be able to get up to full temperature to keep healthy. Classic car owners have this same problem that cars sit in garages for months and need to be taken out for long runs to ensure that the fuel mixture delivery and engine bores remain clean and exhaust system doesn't have moisture in it etc.

Sorry you didn't get to 3000km (yet) but don't lose that grin - it's not an EV it's a PHEV after all. It's good that it handles the maintenance for you.
Last edited by Johny on Thu, 01 Oct 2015, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Rob,

You must put 15 litres of fuel into an Outlander PHEV approximately every 3 months. Failure to do this will result in it running in charge mode to use up the old fuel.

This "feature" is stated in the manual on p. 6-33. The only way to get it back to run in EV mode is to add 15 litres of petrol.

I have experienced this myself twice and while annoying this is to be expected from a PHEV.

So you have to put at least 60 litres into a PHEV every year - whether you need to use the extra range/performance provided by the petrol engine or not. This is something I would expect dealers to tell you when buying new alas mine did not mention it.

Dave
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2019 Kona Electric Elite
2013 Nissan Leaf
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

so he has to drane the fuel tank so he can put 15Lt in it?
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Adverse Effects wrote: so he has to drane the fuel tank so he can put 15Lt in it?

If there's currently more than 25 litres in the tank (about 60% full) then yes, he'll need to continue driving the car in Charge/Fuel System maintenance mode until it's low enough to take 15 more litres.

Tank capacity is supposed to be 45 litres although I've never put in more than 40 litres myself.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2019 Kona Electric Elite
2013 Nissan Leaf
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

so he is better off running the tank down and only putting in fuel when it dose this crap
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Well, I did another 40km out and 40km back today, ICE running most of the way. On the way home, on a hunch, I dropped into the petrol station and topped it up (by then the tank was down to half full) and sure enough, I drove out of the garage in silence at last!

No, I wasn't told about the 15L/3 months or 60L/year, but when I bought the PHEV, I knew more about it than the people selling it (not that that was difficult!). I'm also not much good at reading manuals cover-to-cover especially when they are half-full of mind-numbingly stupid safety warnings (exercise care when closing the door lest you catch part of your body in it and suffer an injury) Image
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Adverse Effects wrote: so he is better off running the tank down and only putting in fuel when it does this crap

Yes, you're right. If you use the PHEV so that it runs in electric only mode for 3 months and don't put fuel in it then you'll need to take it for a longer drive or use charge mode to burn off the 15L so you can fill it again and get back to EV only running.

While you might think this is crap other PHEVs have the same feature e.g. Chevrolet/Holden Volt and it is necessary to avoid damage to the engine from stale fuel.

Unfortunately the PHEV is the only OEM EV in Australia that can officially tow (which along with its extended range is why I bought one) so there isn't an alternative until the Tesla Model X comes on the market next year. For the price of a Model X you could buy 3 PHEVs so they are still a good value vehicle despite this "crap" feature.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2019 Kona Electric Elite
2013 Nissan Leaf
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

If you were to run the fuel return line into a container on the recharge/maintenance mode you could drop the 15ltrs out and then put it back in.... or into the other ICE vehicle you own. Even sitting in the driveway idling till the eng reaches operating temp will pump out quite a large amount of fuel.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

T1 Terry wrote: If you were to run the fuel return line into a container on the recharge/maintenance mode you could drop the 15ltrs out and then put it back in.... or into the other ICE vehicle you own. Even sitting in the driveway idling till the eng reaches operating temp will pump out quite a large amount of fuel.
Now that's an evil thought. I'll file it away for the next time this one bites me in the bum   Image
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Johny

Post by Johny »

dgh853 wrote:Unfortunately the PHEV is the only OEM EV in Australia that can officially tow (which along with its extended range is why I bought one)...
I know this is an old thread but I wonder how much you have towed with the PHEV David and how it went. We are just about to buy one to tow a 1400kg Caravan so it'll be close to rating when loaded (1500kg).
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

I've been towing a lightweight trailer and Zero SR motorcycle for track days and racing for the last 18 months including a few trips from Sydney to Goulburn and it handles the weight easily (although the load is under 500kg).

Fuel economy from Sydney to Goulburn including charging at each end is 8l/100km.

Certainly happy with its towing ability but the weight is pretty tiny.

2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2019 Kona Electric Elite
2013 Nissan Leaf
Johny

Post by Johny »

Thanks. We get the new 'van in Jan or Feb next year and I'll be logging and/or recording just about everything so I'll keep everyone posted.