Home Wall Chargers?

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Johny

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Johny »

Agreed Kurt. Having cooked a couple a extension cord sockets I ordered a 15A Clipsal Heavy Duty cord socket and the insertion pressure is WAY more than the Bunnings (HPM?) 15A cord socket.
That said, since I started using pin crimps on wiring everything now runs a lot cooler anyway.
offgridQLD

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by offgridQLD »

If you want the plug to point down and not out into the room.

You can get all kinds of surface mount enclosures for the same Industrial range of separate sockets and switches mentioned above.

Some enclosures have the one section flat with the wall and the other at a angle pointing down at the ground. Mount the rotary switch to the section that's flat with the wall and mount the socket to the section facing the ground. They usually have a few knockouts on the top and sides for cable entry.

I will dig up a link...picture.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by offgridQLD »

Ok,This is what I am talking about. The surface mount enclosure you want is a Clipsal 56EV2.

Enclosure looks like this

This is what it looks like with a switch and outlet mounted to it. Obviously in your application. You would mount the enclosure vertically with the switch rotated one position to the left so it all sits in the correct position. Then Your screw collar plug when inserted would face the ground and the switch will face you.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by offgridQLD »

If you want the switch to be a timer something like the Clipsal 56TC7,GY 16A would work well

They do a digital version to if you need to change setting all the time.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by zzcoopej »

offgridQLD wrote: Clipsal 56EV2.

Kurt

This looks perfect, thanks. I'm not fussed about it being horizontal, just not sticking out from the wall as its tight next to the car.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
offgridQLD

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by offgridQLD »

You buy the enclosure, switch and socket separate. So you put it all together in what ever orientation you like.

You can even get that same switch with a lock/key insert in the center encase you mount it outside and don't want people using it. Way more options then Clipsals domestic range.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by zzcoopej »

Johny wrote: I got some of those screws out by mashing the side of the blade of a cheapo small screwdriver with a hammer. It then fitted two of the three sides.

Thanks for the tip Johny - I managed to get 1 screw off and drilled the other out. Unfortunately there is no fuse visible, including under the main PCB (I thought it may be hiding). The only place left that a fuse could be would be inside the relay box however I couldn't see any way to pop the blue cover off?

Interestingly, despite claiming on the Jaycar website "Internally this unit has a switching contact rated at 30 Amps, not 10 Amps like the cheap ones from the hardware store" the relay has 250VAC 25A so don't trust Jaycar with their specs! Also, I'm insulted that Jaycar list their warranty as 3 months on all products, I didn't know it was legal to go under 12months???
I'm looking to do things differently this time, so end of the road for Jaycar timers.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
Adverse Effects

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Adverse Effects »

zzcoopej wrote:Interestingly, despite claiming on the Jaycar website "Internally this unit has a switching contact rated at 30 Amps, not 10 Amps like the cheap ones from the hardware store" the relay has 250VAC 25A so don't trust Jaycar with their specs!

i would use that to your advantage

take it back and say there false advertising there products and you want your money back
coulomb
Site Admin

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by coulomb »

zzcoopej wrote: I did look at undoing but I'd have to buy a tool. Its a star shape screw but only 3 ie one less than philips head(4).

It's probably a tri-wing type, though it could be one of the other 3-lobed Torx heads.

It's getting that the average tinkerer needs several sets of these. I mean, what's the point? We still get things open. And for what? I needed one to open my wife's mouse recently. I didn't find any hazardous voltages in there; maybe I was lucky this time Image Another cat and mouse game. I didn't end up finding a small enough tri-wing driver to fit, but a carefully chosen jeweller's flat blade did the trick. Tool suppliers such as Tool City can provide single drivers or kits with a variety of drivers. Hardware stores seem quite limited with these tools.

[Edited Coulomb: can't have Unicode smileys for technical reasons to do with the upcoming Web Wiz to phpBB conversion ]
Last edited by coulomb on Thu, 13 Jul 2017, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
neilg
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by neilg »

Originally posted by zzcoopej zzcoopej wrote:
I did look at undoing but I'd have to buy a tool. Its a star shape screw but only 3 ie one less than philips head(4).

You can get driver bit sets (32/33 pieces) from Altronics or Jaycar for around $11 or $15 which have the tristar plus Philips, slot, torx etc bits of different sizes.

Neilg