Home Wall Chargers?

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Rovert
Noobie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Rovert »

Is the Gelco product the GS1011 (Description: "JC9499A698 – AC Inlet wiring harness, Control Pilot Signal enabled - allows full communications with any Level 2 street charger. Fitting extra. YM10 i-MiEV – change over only").

Is there an easy way to tell whether or not it has been retrofitted?
Greg partridge
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Greg partridge »

That's the one. I Retrofitted my 2010 with it. 30 min job. To tell if yours has been retrofitted look at the inlet and see if the J1772 connector has 4 or 5 pins fitted. The One you are concerned about is in the bottom left at 8am on the clock
Rovert
Noobie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Rovert »

Thanks Greg. 4 pins with 8am missing. Bummer.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Greg partridge »

No problem. just get the wiring harness from Gelco and swap it over.
reecho

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by reecho »

I actually used the GS1020 adaptor. There was a spare small pin fitted to the adaptor. So I removed it and fitted the prerequisite diode and resistor. Then I fitted that to my existing J1772 car harness. So now my I-Miev can use the public chargers plus I have a fully functional J1772 to 15A adaptor.... Image
g4qber

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by g4qber »

Greg have you found anywhere you couldn't charge?

Reecho's 2010 currently can't charge at the Avenue Circontrol unit.
www.plugshare.com/api/view?location=39512

This could be due to a firmware issue.
This unit has the message
"Please remove the hose" after tagging off with any RFID card
This unit currently keeps the previous user logged in until they tag off.
Same as Bunbury unit.

The Mandurah unit was like this until e-station upgraded the firmware remotely since it has a SIM.

Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 23 Aug 2015, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 59
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Greg partridge
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Greg partridge »

I Have only used it on ChargePoint charges in the Sydney metro area, no other brands. I Will be heading down to Canberra shortly so will be testing it out on a few other EVSE's then
photomac
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by photomac »

I use E-Station and have had no problems with the unit.
Several choices but mine is a 16A simple version of these
http://e-station.com.au/homesoffices/
Contact Patrick.
E-Station is the installer for the WA RAC Electric Highway
I have no affiliation with this company.

[Edited by Admin to repair broken link]
Last edited by rhills on Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Yes,   we can.   Image
Hyundai Kona 64 v1 Sept 2019 onward. 00016 up to 7000+
Mitsubishi PHEV v1 Apr 2016 to Aug 2019 14500 to 72000km
Nissan LEAF v1.0 Nov 2013 to Apr 2016 00035 to 36000km
Comet
Noobie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Comet »

iMiev 2010 which apparently hasn't got the right pins in the car and needs an adaptor of some kind to be compatible with the supercharger. So I am weighing up what to do, that cost me the least money and doesn't damage my car...
I-miev it in MY10 with extras!
reecho

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by reecho »

Supercharger???.....

Please explain....
Peter C in Canberra

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

reecho wrote: Supercharger???.....

Please explain....

I assume he is talking about a level 2 outlet as above requiring the extra pins for communication, not a Tesla supercharger or Chademo charger.
If you read back through the thread above there are options to get a 2010 iMiEV talking to EVSE. The much faster, direct DC into the battery charging option (under the other flap) is not something you will find readily.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
bmscott
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by bmscott »

Hiya - first time poster. I got a 2010 iMiev last night and after driving it home halfway across town discovered, to my embarrassment, that I don't have a 15A-rated charging socket on my front porch after all... so my cable (without the box thing, just a straight cable) won't plug in.

Reading your post about how some 2010 models were modified, I see mine DOES have 5 pins - see pic. So does this mean I just need a different cable, with the current-controlling box, to charge at home?

rhills
Site Admin

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by rhills »

Quickest and easiest (and probably cheapest) fix is one of these:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/p/MS4044. They're handy to have for when you're away from home.
However, I'd get a sparky organised to install a dedicated 15A plug anyway, unless you know exactly how your house is wired and you can be sure that nothing else is on the same circuit as the 10A plug you plan to charge your car from. Most homes will have a number of power points on the one circuit and if you have anything else plugged in that's pulling more than a couple of amps while your car is charging, it will almost certainly trip the circuit breaker.

Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Oct 2020
Total Petrol: 756.3L
ODO: 67508
Av Consumption: 1.12 L/100km
mikedufty

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by mikedufty »

You've got a few options.
Best one is probably to get a 15A socket installed by an electrician, should only be a couple of hundred dollars.

Jaycar sell 10A-15A adapters with a circuit breaker which several people have said work with the i-MiEV.

If not concerned with legality also make a DIY 10A to 15A adapter with hardware store parts (change the plug on a 15A extension cord to a 10A plug). This is illegal because you are plugging something designed for more than 10A into a 10A rated socket. But the i-MiEV only uses a little more than 10A and is generally fine as long as it is the only thing on that powerpoint. A number of people have reported charging theirs this way.
The other option is to get a Holden Volt charging cable, which is 10A and should work since you have the pin conversion, I think they cost about the same as getting a 15A socket installed.

The main advantage of the extra pins is you can use the free chargers at supermarkets etc.

You should find the following threads informative.

viewtopic.php?t=4375&start=2&title=10-amp-charging

viewtopic.php?title=charging-cable-has- ... 13&start=3
Last edited by mikedufty on Fri, 18 Sep 2015, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by offgridQLD »

Regarding the original thread topic. Home wall chargers (EVSE)

I was all set up to purchase a Open EVSE for my Imiev and planed on picking it up in the US while on holidays to save a little on postage. Though I had a change of plans tonight. J11772 cables were all on back order at openevse and even local postage within the US (just for the evse box and PCB) was a bit steep $30 US(considering free postage is very common in the US from the big online retailers)

So I did some hunting around for other EVSE station's options online. Predominantly Amazom. The main feature I wanted was a delay start function and the ability to adjust the charge rate from 6A up to the limit of the charger.

I just ordered the Siemens VC30GRYHW Versicharge 30-Amp. Looks well built a few reviewers commented that the cord and plug looks like it will last for ever The unit glows green around the perimeter and then changes color to indicate different charge stages.Could be handy for a quick visual when poking my head into the garage to see where things are at. The brand is well known and it was less expensive than the open EVSE due to Amazons free postage.

Will post some pics up when I pick it up at my hotel.

Kurt

bmscott
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by bmscott »

mikedufty wrote: You've got a few options.
Best one is probably to get a 15A socket installed by an electrician, should only be a couple of hundred dollars.

Jaycar sell 10A-15A adapters with a circuit breaker which several people have said work with the i-MiEV.

[...]
You should find the following threads informative.
[...]

Thanks so much (you and rhills) - with this info and other stuff from the site I was able to find a local source for the Ampfibian Mini. $85 but I got it today rather than waiting for AusPost!

Now I'm a bit concerned about the range estimate it's reporting once it's charged to 100% - but I'll find the right thread to ask about that...
rhills
Site Admin

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by rhills »

bmscott wrote:Now I'm a bit concerned about the range estimate it's reporting once it's charged to 100% - but I'll find the right thread to ask about that...
There is a number of quite meaty threads on that subject in the Mitsubishi Forum, but I expect you'll have seen those already..
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Oct 2020
Total Petrol: 756.3L
ODO: 67508
Av Consumption: 1.12 L/100km
Peter C in Canberra

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

bmscott wrote: Now I'm a bit concerned about the range estimate it's reporting once it's charged to 100% - but I'll find the right thread to ask about that...

Wait till you have driven it a bit. It could get better. The last person to drive might have been a lead foot. Also, if it sat for quite a while getting zero km/kWh it might be a little pessimistic. Also, it needs to be run down to 2 bars or less just occasionally to do some resetting of the battery management stuff, though I would not run the battery low routinely unless you have to. So, don't despair too soon.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by zzcoopej »

Looks like my Jaycar timer (MS6110, recommended by other owners) which I used to charge our iMiEV died last night after 1 year and 9 days on the job (Jaycar apparently has only a 3 month warranty, lol). I can still hear the relay click but the device attached does not get power.
Any suggestions for a replacement as I take advantage of TOU off-peak rates after 10pm and a timer means this is automatic.
I'm also thinking of putting in a 15A powerpoint that is compatable with the Clipsal 56P315 screw plug on the end of the 2010 iMiEV cable. I tried finding a part that has a bottom socket rather than a side socket so it doesn't stick out into the garage. Anyone found one with a bottom screw socket?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
Johny

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Johny »

Pull apart the Jaycar. If the relay is still operating it may be a circuit board fuse.
Bryce
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Bryce »

Several vertical 15A outlets - but none screwed, unless you go to pendent style. (eg Clipsal ss15).

Re timer: have personally done a hardwired timer set-up using current rated parts - but you'd need an electrician to construct/install that.

You could also get a Jetcharge outlet with the timer option.

Cheers
Bryce

I'm also thinking of putting in a 15A powerpoint that is compatable with the Clipsal 56P315 screw plug on the end of the 2010 iMiEV cable. I tried finding a part that has a bottom socket rather than a side socket so it doesn't stick out into the garage. Anyone found one with a bottom screw socket?[/QUOTE]
AEVA Vic vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
zzcoopej
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by zzcoopej »

Johny wrote: Pull apart the Jaycar. If the relay is still operating it may be a circuit board fuse.

I did look at undoing but I'd have to buy a tool. Its a star shape screw but only 3 ie one less than philips head(4).
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
zzcoopej
Groupie

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by zzcoopej »

Bryce wrote: Several vertical 15A outlets - but none screwed, unless you go to pendent style. (eg Clipsal ss15).

That one is not too bad, thanks Bryce.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
Johny

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by Johny »

zzcoopej wrote:
Johny wrote: Pull apart the Jaycar. If the relay is still operating it may be a circuit board fuse.

I did look at undoing but I'd have to buy a tool. Its a star shape screw but only 3 ie one less than philips head(4).
I got some of those screws out by mashing the side of the blade of a cheapo small screwdriver with a hammer. It then fitted two of the three sides.

I've been using an eBay timer (copy of a TP8A16) that has a 16A relay. It's still working but not without blowing apart the internal backup battery a year or so ago (fixed that night).

I doing the same as you - I charge at about 3AM. I am currently building a timer + 25A relay Din rail unit in a 4 pole switchboard box to replace my current system.

It'll have an input plug on a short lead and an output socket on a short lead and will hang below my 15A power point.

The one on the right.Image

Edit: Link to blog entry on exploding timer battery.
Last edited by Johny on Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Home Wall Chargers?

Post by offgridQLD »

I use several ss15 (actually the 10A version as well) In my shed to the aim was to avoid extension cords when using power tools over benches.

Though I will say I wasn't that impressed with them. I just don't think the design is that good. Because they are split into two sections (down the middle of the threaded section. The threaded section of the plug doesn't thread on well due to misalignment of the two sections. Overall the there is compromises in the switch gear, terminals, cable restraint and socket it's self (the socket inside is just 10A or 15A female plug end like you would see on a extension cord with the same kind of flimsy terminals). It's all a bit underwhelming due to trying to fit it all in that compact unit.

I don't mind running a grinder or small power tool off it for short periods they are a handy outlet. I wouldn't want it as the socket of choice for a 13A EV to charge from all day every day.

I really don't think Domestic outlets and switch gear is the best choice for EV's (even if on paper its rated to do the job)

The best switched sockets that get my vote are the industrial style IP66 separate lockout switch and socket combination with enclosure. Every aspect of them is more solid including the terminals, socket and switch gear and they are not that much more expensive than the flimsy domestic range.

At work if we wanted a hanging outlet we would just mount a plate to the back the outlet enclosure and hang it from that. You could use it as a pinata or Tarzan rope and you would kill it.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.