2010 iMiEV Regen on full battery

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

I drive in B mode all the time as its been "scientifically proven" on the 2010 model to be the least Wh/km (regardless of the driver). However I've found something that might be a problem with that strategy.
Only a few 100m from my house there is a downhill corner that requires slowing. My Outlander PHEV on a full charge only does a tiny amount of regen (even on B5 ie max regen braking mode) and this is well known with other owners. The explanation is that you can't charge an almost full battery at a high current, so you only get a tiny regen effect, until such time as the SOC drops to a point where the battery can accept a high charge current in the form of max regen. Makes sense to me.
However, on the iMiev with a full charge, same corner a few 100m from our house I get full regen (in B mode) in the iMiEV, same as you would get when driving with a partly charged battery. I'm beginning to think that this might be doing the battery some damage as I'm guessing the PHEV being a later generation is doing a better job?
What is the strength of regen on a full battery like in the 2012 iMiEV? I know Mitsu changed things on the 2012 as the 2012 gets more regen on brake pedal usage than the 2010 model.
Thoughts?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

I also have a long down hill 1km from my home. With a full battery pack my 2010 in B mode also only just enters the regen area on the display as opposed to a half full pack when the indicator shows full regen
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

Greg partridge wrote: With a full battery pack my 2010 in B mode also only just enters the regen area on the display

Hmmm, that's surprising considering our cars should be the same. I wonder if there is some kind of fault on mine?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
reecho

Post by reecho »

My 2010 acts the same as Greg's....
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Allegedly LEAF also doesn't regen when battery is full
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

My Blade Electron Mk 6 is an unhappy bunny when fully charged and being driven down my steep driveway. It jolts around a bit.

That's why, being not educated electronically, I had in the past asked how an ev might be able to be charged to say, 95% of full capacity and yet still balance. From what I now know about LiOn batteries, I see what the problem is.

Maybe these cars need a little group of additional batteries which run accessories, say, and which accept regen charge when the driving batteries are fully charged, monitored a bit like the prius drive batteries. Just a thought :)
MDK
Groupie

Post by MDK »

g4qber wrote: Allegedly LEAF also doesn't regen when battery is full

Tesla Model S doesn't either. No regen at 100% and max regen at 97% and below.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

My i MiEV doesn't regen much when full. My house is at the top of about a kilometre of hill that drops over 150m of altitude. I can cruise down on B mode hardly touching the brake at all except for the near hairpin corner near the bottom if not full. When full I need to brake for every corner as regen just goes about a quarter of the way into the blue section.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

zzcoopej wrote:
strength of regen on a full battery

Interesting testing done here iMiEV regen on full battery

"Braking at 100% SOC from 60-0 mph7
Measured Time: 3.2 s
Distance: 124.8 ft
Peak Power into Battery: 43.5 kW"

Sounds like my observations of iMiEV vs PHEV are "normal" after all?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
Johny

Post by Johny »

zzcoopej wrote: "Braking at 100% SOC from 60-0 mph7
Measured Time: 3.2 s
Distance: 124.8 ft
Peak Power into Battery: 43.5 kW"
Since it's unlikely that they charged the battery to 100% then towed the vehicle up to 60MPH, and it states that tests were done on flat and level - it would have taken more energy to get the vehicle to 60MPH than could have been recovered.

I.E The battery pack was unlikely to be at 100% SOC for the braking test.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

Johny wrote: it's unlikely that they charged the battery to 100% then towed the vehicle up to 60MPH.. I.E The battery pack was unlikely to be at 100% SOC for the braking test.

True, however similar applies to my situation where I take a fully charged iMiEV, drive at 60km/h to the first corner and observe the strength of regen vs the same scenario in the PHEV. Its like chalk and cheese, very different on the dial and in terms of shedding speed.
Last edited by zzcoopej on Mon, 14 Sep 2015, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
Johny

Post by Johny »

zzcoopej wrote:True, however the same applies to my situation where I take a fully charged iMiEV, drive at 60km/h to the first corner and observe the strength of regen vs the same scenario in the PHEV. Its like chalk and cheese, very different on the dial and in terms of shedding speed.
Absolutley - that makes sense. The car has to protect the pack from overcharge so regen would be dialled back when doing downhills within a few km of fully charging.

I was just pointing out that the test that was linked was a pretty pointless experiment and it wasn't surprising that the braking time hardly changed.
Malm
Groupie
AIM: Est. da Lameira, Ed. Choupal, Bl. A , 2º D

Post by Malm »

In my 2011 I-MiEV, regeneration is much less when it is fully charged. But it charges a little more then if it goes to 100% only by the electricity taken of the grid. The cells, when charged from the wall, only go to 4,11 V or 4,115 V for one second, and total voltage goes to 361 V maximum. But fully charged, with regen after, it can go to 362 V and I see cells going to 4,140 V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyZzOJEG8UY
Last edited by Malm on Mon, 14 Sep 2015, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
I-MiEV owner from Portugal - 81000 km
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

Malm wrote:fully charged, with regen after, it can go to 362 V and I see cells going to 4,140 V.

This might have something to do with it, however both the iMiEV and PHEV should be similar?
I wonder if older cells in the 2010 iMiEV might also play a part by tricking the regen into thinking the cells can take more than the charger thinks, or would the same algorithm be used in both circumstances?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

Johny wrote:   The car has to protect the pack from overcharge so regen would be dialled back when doing downhills within a few km of fully charging.

That's the whole point of this thread, because I experience significantly lower regen in the PHEV in these circumstances, however in the same circumstances in the iMiEV the regen is significantly more, both in feel and on the dial.
If you know the PHEV, its like B1 vs B5 in terms of feel - where B1 is the PHEV on this downhill corner, and B5 is the iMiEV on the same corner just near my house.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

So make sure your pack is a bit discharged before going round the track. Do a few 1/4 mile drags.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD