Calculating Home Charging Costs

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Comet
Noobie

Post by Comet » Thu, 04 Jun 2015, 21:39

Hi Fellow Owners

I need to calculate exactly how much electricity I use to charge my iMiev at home. As I have salary packaged my car, I am therefore able to claim the cost to run it. This will need to stand up to ATO inspection, therefore I want to give a clear calculation for my claim.

I have a standard 15amp lead which is currently using my normal supply (I plan to move it to off peak soon)
Origin
Peak Use 25.378 c/kWh
Standing charge of 83.414 C/day
Green fuel charge of 1.48c/kWh

My daily commute to work and back is 60km

How much electricity have I used to charge per day?

Looking for a consensus amongst fellow users so that I get good average cost both at peak and off peak.

Thanks...
I-miev it in MY10 with extras!

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Thu, 04 Jun 2015, 21:49

oook so same question "how long is a piece of string"

it all comes down to how you push that peddle, how far, how hard, how often, how big are the hills, road surface type, what direction was the wind blowing, was it day, was it night, was it cold, was it hot, did you have lights on, did you have seat heaters on, did you have cabin heater on, did you have cooling on and so on and on and on

best way is to buy a cent-o-meter (or the like) and just run and charge for a few weeks and make logs of it then average it all out

carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 » Fri, 05 Jun 2015, 02:47

I bought a Wattsclever meter off eBay and logged 4,000km of driving to get my figures.

iDaVID
Groupie

Post by iDaVID » Sat, 06 Jun 2015, 20:57

I can't overly speak for the cost per kilometre, but if I'm charging from basically turtle mode, it costs me roughly $2 for a full recharge I've estimated.

Mind you that'll vary, as I've got solar cells on the roof of my house which partly subsidises my overall electricity cost, so it depends upon how much sun I'm getting at the time let alone whether I'm charging throughout the day or at night.
Last edited by iDaVID on Sat, 06 Jun 2015, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Comet
Noobie

Post by Comet » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 00:17

Thanks for your responses much appreciated.

I have decided to do the following option to satisfy my Salary Packaging Rules and Employer

My car is now on the Tariff 31 off peak supply all by it's self (it was the off peak hot water until I installed solar water on the roof - was planning to use it for a pool but bought an iMiev instead)
Charging will now appear as a separate line item in my bill. Apparently you can't get a separate bill per meter, the billing is per contract, as this contract has feed in tariff of 50c a Kwh I can't afford to change it and loose my benefits. ( Being an early adopter of solar on my roof I paid considerably more than you do now)

I will know exactly how much it costs to charge my car for a quarter, it will be interesting to see what my annual cost is. As I had previously done so using my petrol GETZ for the last 5 years and if I dig out the paperwork I will have a direct comparison.

If anyone is interested I will post a comparison, once I have some figures give me 3 months until the next bill.

Happy Motoring...

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 24 Jun 2015, 17:17

Good all data is interesting. I was going to suggest working on 135whr pr km or 13.5kwh / 100km . This is what I use. So if your T 33 is $0.20kwh it would be about $2.70 / 100km traveled.

Kurt

Comet
Noobie

Re: Calculating Home Charging Costs

Post by Comet » Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 18:52

Well I can say that my average quarterly bill to charge my iMiev is $100-$120 depending on use and the number of days in the quarter. So approx $400 a year to get to work

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 19:41

What did it cost to run your getz? I just stepped out of a getz that was costing me about $50 per week for fuel, and now I'm using about $20 of electricity (not taking solar into account)

mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho » Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 19:47

I've got a kWh meter on the car charging circuit in the switch board. However we have time of use metering, and solar, so it would still be impossible to know what the charging fees were. Do you factor in a percentage of the cost of the solar system?

Any such figures are generally estimates, but for tax purposes the ATO often assumes some number of cents per km, which is usually pretty generous for an EV.