I-Miev Car + ! warning lamp

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
cruzxia
Noobie

Post by cruzxia »

I have a 2012 I-Miev that my wife and I drive. She tends to just use D mode, and I drive in B mode. I tried C mode when we first bought the car about a year ago.

The other day I was driving along and I changed the shifter to C mode.
Immediately the dash lit up with warning lights. The [CAR + !] and the Turtle came on. I was just approaching a roundabout at the time. The good news is that the car did not just stop, the power was reduced, and I drove through the roundabout until I could pullover.

I turned the key off and on again (reboot like windows) and the car was working normally again.

I tested again later in a quiet road and it still had the same problem.

The next day I went out with my camera and videoed the dash while I selected C mode. What I noticed is that the display icon went from B to C and back to D (selector in C) I then new what the fault was, which I later confirmed by looking in the workshop manual.
The drive selector switch is a dual pole switch, when a mode is selected both channels of the switch have to report their position. If only one switches then it throws the error.

Due to never selecting C mode in a year or so, the contacts in the switch must have tarnished a bit, preventing it making contact.

Solution -
I just parked the car and moved the selector back and forth half a dozen times from B to C and the switch began working normally again.

The I-Miev is a great car.   

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Yes another person had a similar issue with the car when they selected reverse. Like you say one position switch in the front on the selector one in the rear mounted to the side of the reduction drive.

It was mentioned that there is indexing alinement holes on the rear position switch that a 10mm rod (drill bit) must pass through. If it wont then it needs adjusting.

I to like how agricultural, simple, no thrills the Imiev is. I think it's one of the least daunting OEM ev's to deal with.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 03 Mar 2015, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Pretty sure the main and sub selector position switches are mounted on the transaxle. At least it is on the 2010.

Nothing up front under the stick itself...
cruzxia
Noobie

Post by cruzxia »

Yes the switch is on the transaxle. One pole is the interlock and the other is the mode selection. I believe it is setup like that to prevent going into reverse by accident if something goes wrong. It seems that it defaults back to D if the connection is lost when the interlock is forward section.