EVSE Miev cords

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
iDaVID
Groupie

EVSE Miev cords

Post by iDaVID »

Hi everyone,

I've got a question about the EVSE for the Miev. Is there a difference between the 2010 model and what has come since?

I ask because my cord doesn't come with the rectangular box which I've seen regularly displayed everywhere (see pic - not that you all don't know what I'm referring to...)Image

My thanks in advance Image
reecho

EVSE Miev cords

Post by reecho »

Yes the 2010 by default does not come with pilot signal for J1772 compliance.

You can check this by looking at the J1772 connector on the car. It has 4 pins not 5.

Essentially it doesn't need the box on the cable. You plug into a 15A point and you get full 13A charging.

Some of the cars have had 5th pin added by Gelco Services. Then you have the best of both worlds...

iDaVID
Groupie

EVSE Miev cords

Post by iDaVID »

Thanks Reecho
parway
Noobie

EVSE Miev cords

Post by parway »

Hi Im new here. Names Peter and im the proud new owner of a 2010 silver miev

Your response about the differences between 2010 and later models and having the 5th pin installed by Gelco might be of help to me.

Id planned a trip north to the sunny coast from Rocklea and was intending on using the chargepoint station at mons rd back of Mooloolabah to charge up for the return trip

Fortunately id stopped at metro nissan Windosr chargepint on the way up and found The chargepoint system doesnt work with the 2010 model because of the missing comms pin.

Any info you could share on the Gelco modification would be appreciated.

regards

Peter
Pete
reecho

EVSE Miev cords

Post by reecho »

Its about a 15 minute job to swap the cable if you have the skills.

buy cables here.....
coulomb
Site Admin

EVSE Miev cords

Post by coulomb »

reecho wrote: Its about a 15 minute job to swap the cable if you have the skills.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "cable", but surely there is more to generating an appropriate pilot signal than replacing a cable. You'd need the whole show - J1772 with 5 pins, cable with 5 conductors (it likely already has), and the "brick" with the smarts. You could keep the half metre of 3-wire AC cable and the 3-pin plug (worth perhaps ten or twenty dollars, since it's a fancy plug).

If you replace the whole thing, then there's not even 15 minutes of work. What am I missing?

[ Edit: what I'm missing is that of course the pin is missing at the car end, not at the EVSE end. Duh. However, that extra pin has to connect to some sort of electronics, even if it's a 555 timer on a piece of Veroboard. ]
Last edited by coulomb on Fri, 30 Jan 2015, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
reecho

EVSE Miev cords

Post by reecho »

To add the pilot signal the whole J1772 car harness is changed. It only uses the confirmation signal to start charging. No PWM control is present as the charger on 2010's do not support it so you will get only 13A charging at all times. I am trying to source the pins at the moment to do the mod myself. IF anybody can assist with the Yazaki pins, part no's etc...please PM..

Jeff Owen
Groupie

EVSE Miev cords

Post by Jeff Owen »

Or you could possibly use this J1772™ Adapter box http://www.tucsonev.com/index.html
Greg partridge
Groupie

EVSE Miev cords

Post by Greg partridge »

Has anyone in NSW replaced their J1772 harness?