Charging cable has died!!!

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
mikedufty

Re: Charging cable has died!!!

Post by mikedufty »

I just had this too. Our 2010 i-Miev came with a little extension from the screw type 15A plug to a regular 15A plug, but the screwed together part was inseparable. Yesterday there was arcing in the screw socket. I have managed to cut open the screw rings enough to prise out the socket, and it is now working with an extension cord, but still has part of the screws on there, preventing it from plugging into a socket.
Johny

Post by Johny »

I haven't had any issues since I used ferrules on all wires.
I carefully inspect every few months anyway.
I have also re-terminated all my extension cords using ferrules - including sealed ones as I sometimes charge the PHEV via an extension cord so don't want to be wondering which one is which.
Last edited by Johny on Wed, 11 Oct 2017, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Where do you get ferrules from? My first project is to try to remove the rest of the seized on socket, but if I can't do that safely I'll need a short extension cord.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Also called Bootlace Ferrules.
Jaycar, RS Components...
Here is the Jaycar link.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/red-ferrule-c ... 0/p/PT4533

In a pinch I have used Red Utilux style pin crimps, removed the insulation bit after crimping, then briefly soldered just the wire entry part without allowing enough time for the solder to wick down into the pin.
doug
Groupie

Post by doug »

As a retired Biomed (ie worked on Medical equipment) the pins do develop verdigris. I have a 10A adaptor cable that stays with the car (so I can charge from a 10A socket).

If you must use an extension cable, use one that has 2.5mm sq cable. Most store-bought cables are not that heavy (but I did buy some better cables from Masters when they were closing). If you use an extension cable, make sure there are no loops due to the inductive heating.
If you need to clean up the pins on a plug, use an eraser. Any time you terminate a power cable, ensure all the strands are intact, & carefully seat the stripped end so you get a good tight connection.

btw, (not to be used with an EvSE of course!) Multi-output power boards, are sometimes only single sided wipe (ie only contact on one side of the plug) Be wary using these on electronic equipment because they can cause arcing, which can kill power supplies.

Another comment is to try to use the old style plugs on the EVSE cables: the new ones with the insulation at the top of the pins are far weaker. (This is because some silly dolts put their fingers under the plug as they extract the plug, so causing OHS paperwork... (as I said, I worked in a hospital!)
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I managed to get the extra socket off with judicious use of an angle grinder. Hopefully the original plug is good enough quality to last a while. Only problem so far is the electrician installed an outdoor downward angled 15a socket in our garage, so the plug tends to fall out under it's own weight sometimes. Using elastic to hold it in at the moment.