Post by Greg partridge » Fri, 05 Dec 2014, 17:33

Has anyone attempted to make a range extender for a I Miev like this
http://eauto.si/en/new-projects/
Extends the range by 60-90kms.
I have emailed them but heard nothing back

reecho

I Miev range extender

Post by reecho » Fri, 05 Dec 2014, 20:04

Love to know how they connect it to the I-Miev. whether it's done at the inverter or the batt pack proper...

Big slckjawed at the price though...!!

reglissenoir
Noobie

I Miev range extender

Post by reglissenoir » Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 05:18

Ello every body

I am living in Quebec Canada,I read many thread on many forum about using a generator for re-charge, but no one seam to find out how to do it while driving the car, I have the electrical schematic for my I-miev, every thing is can bus communication. Is somebody have idea how to do-it!!

Thank you

Charles

reglissenoir
Noobie

I Miev range extender

Post by reglissenoir » Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 05:22

Of Corse I am talking way to bypass safety that prevent the car to start when connected.

antiscab

I Miev range extender

Post by antiscab » Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 05:36

reglissenoir wrote: ,I read many thread on many forum about using a generator for re-charge, but no one seam to find out how to do it while driving the car, I have the electrical schematic for my I-miev,

Hi Charles,

how are you planning on dealing with the emissions from the generator if using it while driving?

you could setup a charger, and hard wire that to the battery (on the motorcontroller side of the current sensor) - the car would just see the charge current as regen (or reduced current drawn while driving)

it would have to be a fairly large generator if you are planning on doing significant range extension with it
Matt
2008 Mazda 2 - EV Shop convert
2011 Blade Electron mk6
2007 vectrix - 117'000km
1993 Electrolux - needs batt and charger
1998 Prius - needs batt
1999 Prius - needs batt

reglissenoir
Noobie

I Miev range extender

Post by reglissenoir » Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 05:58

I live 40 km from Montreal and many time I have to go further +- 60 km and it takes me up to 3 hours go and back so most of time I take my gasoline car. What my plan is to install a 3.5kw (50kg) gen on a hitch rack on back of the car and using the onboard charger (3.3kw), I would rather not playing whit hi voltage cable and 3.3kw would, on a 3 hours trip give me +- 50km more autonomy, that would be perfect specially when external temp is -20c.

Thank you for your reply

Charles
Last edited by reglissenoir on Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

I Miev range extender

Post by acmotor » Sun, 25 Jan 2015, 17:56

-20 C ?
It is often 60 deg warmer than that here. It is amazing the battery works at both extremes.

Just thinking about the '3.5kW' generator idea. check here
Such a gen would likely deliver 2.2kW to charger and less than 2kW to the vehicle battery after charger losses.
2kW x 3 hours = 6kWh and this could extend range by 30km at low temperatures.

Using the iMiEV charger may be a challenge.... Until someone hacks the control code in the ECU, as I would expect the charging interlocks are quite stubborn. Some by CAN bus handshakes and others hardwired/firmware.

A control box that takes the DC direct from the rectified alternator output of an inverter generator around 350VDC and feeds it direct to the battery via the CHAdeMO cables and directly operates the CHAdeMO 12V contactor in the battery pack could be useful.
The vehicle would not need to know about the connection.
350V is the 80% SOC point and would perhaps be the highest voltage to go to if the BMS was not able to turn an external charge off.

Edit: Just thoughts.

Last edited by acmotor on Sun, 25 Jan 2015, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
iMiEV MY12     99,820km in pure Electric and loving it !

skylogger
Noobie

I Miev range extender

Post by skylogger » Sun, 16 Aug 2015, 18:10

Thought I'd share some photo's of a range extener setup I've built. I got the idea from the E-Jerrycan post that I saw here. It used an inverter to go from extender batteries to 240vac and back through the on board charger, which means you could not be charging from the extender to the car battery pack while driving at the same time.
I saw a post by Siai47 on the MyImeiv fourm where he tapped into the Chademo port, which allows power from the extender pack to charge the main pack while the car is being driven. The car just thinks extra power is comming from the regenerative braking and adds to the charge.
Here is a photo of 2 of my range extender boxes:
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/892x6 ... P7pUFD.jpg
These are rhino cargo boxes that I bought from bunnings
each one contains 4 banks of 16 cells (50ah) = 6kwh so the pair give me 12kwh

This is a few of the cells inside the box. I only had to trim a bit to be able to drop the cells into the box, they fit as though the box was designed for them
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x6 ... 9f5bvD.jpg

This is a view with the BMU and contactors on top of the cells. You cannot see it in these photos but I've fitted some PC fans along lower side of box to add cooling.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x6 ... IKIceR.jpg

This is a view of a small box I build that allows charging the extender batteries.
The front of the box has a J1772 Socket that I printed on my 3D Printer. You can plug the I-MIEV Charging cable or a EVSE into this for the 240vac supply. I haven't shown it in the photos but I also added a panel mount 240vac male plug like you see on side of caravans. You can plug an extention cord direct into that. The J1772 Connector has a resistor and diode connected to the pilot pin so if an EVSE is connected, it will think a car is there.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/892x6 ... NJqRQs.jpg

Here is a side view of the same box. The heatsink on the front is for the diode rectifier bridge.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x6 ... xYrAPu.jpg

This is a picture of the Chademo connector. I printed this on my 3D Printer. This connector plugs into the Chademo port on the I-MIEV. I cut a small knotch in the cover/flap so the cable could run out with the flap closed, then the cable is run short distance around to the back hatch and can enter car between foam seal and the back hatch.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/892x6 ... 5ZGALi.jpg

The 57.6v from the extender batteries run through two TDK Lamda DC-DC converters which converts to 320-360vdc which is supplied to the Chademo port. Each TDK EZA2500 Can output 2500w at 7.5a so I am able to charge through the Chademo port at 5000w / 15amps.

My Idea is that it takes me 45 minutes to get from home to shopping, 1 or 2 hours at the shopping mall, and 45 minutes drive back home. If this unit is charging the whole time, The extra 12kwh of the 2x extenders is being dumped back into the main battery during the trip and shopping so plenty of charge left to get home.

offgridQLD

I Miev range extender

Post by offgridQLD » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 02:54

If you click the little tree Icon (insert image) and then past your link in that it will show up on screen.

like this...

"These are rhino cargo boxes that I bought from bunnings
each one contains 4 banks of 16 cells (50ah) = 6kwh so the pair give me 12kwh"

Am I missing something. From the pic it looks like 16 x 50Ah cells in each box. Or 2.6KWH pr box or 5.2kwh for the two?

Also how are you keeping that weight safe in the back of the car in the even of a crash? Looks like they have reasonable tie down straps on the sides.

I like the ability to charge with the J11772.
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 16 Aug 2015, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

skylogger
Noobie

I Miev range extender

Post by skylogger » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 03:43

Thanks OffgridQLD:
I tried the little tree icon first but ran into the file size problem, and I'm not full bottle on how to re-size the images, so I just dumped them on imageshack and tried to point to them. Even that did not work %100 as I see the URL address but it didn't come up as a link, so I need to educate myself a bit.

bmscott
Groupie

I Miev range extender

Post by bmscott » Tue, 22 Sep 2015, 17:18

skylogger wrote: Even that did not work %100 as I see the URL address but it didn't come up as a link, so I need to educate myself a bit.

Yeah, clearly you're without any useful skills... <ahem>

So do you have any round numbers on how much this sort of thing cost you? (or did I miss that?) Looks like an impressive project.

reecho

I Miev range extender

Post by reecho » Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 00:29

The DC/DC converters are $5k AUD EACH......

Not for the faint hearted.....

skylogger
Noobie

I Miev range extender

Post by skylogger » Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 02:37

offgridQLD:
You can't tell from the photo, but the cells are 2x high, so 8 cells on top of 8 cells along one side and 8 cells on top of 8 cells on the other side. This is 32 cells per box (2 banks of 48v per box) around 6kw per box x 2 boxes =12kw.
The cost of the DC-DC Converters doesn't make this a practicle solution for most, but these have some very advanced features. they are bi-directional DC-DC Converters, So I can charge the car from the house batteries, or charge the house from the car. There is a box that was used in Japan during fukushima where people would charge their cars at work, then drive home and power their home from the spare power in the car (since a lot of homes were without power). The TDK Bi-directional DC-DC Converters give this capability.

acmotor

I Miev range extender

Post by acmotor » Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 03:39

Skylogger, how did you get the imiev to close the DC contactor inside the battery pack so the Chademo connector was live ?

iMiEV MY12     99,820km in pure Electric and loving it !

offgridQLD

I Miev range extender

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 18:09

Ok, I see now 32 cells. Image

Kurt

Johny

I Miev range extender

Post by Johny » Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 18:25

How much do the boxes weigh Larry?

Edit: boxes
Last edited by Johny on Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

skylogger
Noobie

I Miev range extender

Post by skylogger » Thu, 24 Sep 2015, 02:31

The boxes weigh around 90kg so about equal to 2 extra passengers in the back seat.

Have a look at: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2001
siai47 gave me most of the details on how to hack the chademo port. My way of doing it is a little different from his, and I haven't completely worked out why. Under the back seat, is a small relay (looks like the classic horn relay). siai47 removed the relay, put a jumper across where the contacts would be, and then also applied 12v to this point. This relay is the Quick Charge relay that feeds the Contactor in the I-MIEV battery pack. When I was hacking the Chademo port, I started at the Chademo connector and found that there are three "hand shaking lines" that had to be set to open the port. If you tie the upper most pin to the lowest pin This connects the start charge to ground (pin 1 to 10)
According to drawing spec below, pins 4 and 2 need to be pulled high, but when I did this, the port was still not active. This is where I tried applying 12v
to the blue wire on the Quick Charge relay like siai47 mentioned. That effectively bypasses the other two chademo handshake requirements and the port becomes active (contactor activates) A big warning at this point, The car needs to be with key in "READY" state before voltage is applied to the port. This is so the BMU is active and thinks any charge is just the regenerative braking, and calculates the addition to SOC% If you do not have the READY state and BMU is not re-calculating SOC, then as you charge, the real SOC will get out of sync with the SOC calculated by the BMU. Have a look at this link for Chademo signals and pinout. If I get time on weekend, I'll take photos of where the Quick Charge relay has the 12v applied to activate the port.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=chad ... LAZZIiU%3D

skylogger
Noobie

I Miev range extender

Post by skylogger » Thu, 24 Sep 2015, 02:36

Siai47 uses a 12kw Manzanita Micro PFC-50B into the Chademo port, which is a lot cheaper charger than my TDK Bi-directional DC-DC Converts, and he can do 12kw in while I can only do 5kw in.