Fully Charged Remaining Range ????

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

What's up with the "remaining range" (or whatever that range measurement is called) calculation? I've had my iMiEV for a bit over a week and each time I fully charge the car it starts with a different RR (141, 158, 150, 137, 143, 145). I always charge it at the same power point so does this mean:
a) The charger sometimes cuts off a bit less than full and a bit differently each time?
b) My battery is flakey?
c) The computer is clever and is looking at my most recent (since last charge, last month, forever) driving history to give me a more accurate RR?
d) The RR number is a blunt instrument not a finely tuned metric?

I don't know whether to be worried or impressed.
reecho

Post by reecho »

The range remaining is a guess-o-meter. It uses the last 25kms of driving history to determine the range. You will also notice if you turn on the AC or heater the RR will drop a predetermined value.
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

I've noticed the AC/heater drop and guessed it was a percentage of RR. Are you saying it's always 10km (or whatever)?

Okay, last 25kms driving history makes sense and is a reasonable approach. Over time it should become more accurate unless I become more eratic.

Thanks.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

I am green with envy at those RR figures. I drive like a little old lady in Eco mode (2010 model 10k km)coasting as much as possible and my RR when fully charged is a predicable 94kms each time. I have achieved more in real world test (117.2) but nothing like those figures.
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

Our top was 126.1 km driving between Richmond and Chatswood on a warm day in city/suburban traffic. We came home with 2 bars left. I would have preferred if we could have run the air con as well but didn't think it wise to risk it!
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

We've had a 20,000km 2010 for 2 months now. It is pretty consistently showing 85-95 after charging. I have seen 114 once, and 101 once. On the rare occasion I drive it to work up the freeway (12km at about 40kph average) I can arrive at work with more range remaining than I left home with.
My parents say that on their 2012 model the guessometer is more pessimistic than it should be when the air con is turned off. The estimated range drops 10% but they actually do better. The heater on the other hand really does drop the range a lot.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

As already mentioned it uses the last 25km. Roll down a huge hill and recharge at the bottom you could get a huge RR number. Drive up a huge hill and charge at the top and you will get a tiny RR number.

Our 2012 Imiev with 16k on the clock can have anything from 155km to 70km RR depending on the last 25Km. I stopped looking at the RR gauge after the first week of ownership. I just use the 16 bar gauge the same as you would in a conventional car (fuel gauge) and the meter to the right stays on the cars total mileage setting.

When you think about it its imposable to have a accurate RR as the consumption is so dynamic and no gauge can predict the future based on the past.

Kurt