Outlander PHEV + Canion = Possible?

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Just been reading about the iMiev + Canion experiences and it got me wondering if this might be possible with the Outlander PHEV.

Firstly, has anyone with an Outlander tried it?

After reading a bit in the iMiev topics, I rushed out to our car and confirmed that we have an obd -ii plug (though I'm new to these and now suspect most modern cars have them?). Then followed a link on one of Reecho's posts to info about an obd-ii-bluetooth dongle and saw they have a wifi version. Of course, the PHEV has its own WiFi hub used for its own app so now I'm wondering if the PHEV's WiFi connection might expose some sort of access to the CAN bus and whether the Canion app might be able to use this???

It'd be a bit much to expect it all to just work out of the box, but I think a bit of experimentation is called for Image .

Anyone tried this, or have access to technical info about the PHEV WiFi connection that might help/hinder?
Last edited by rhills on Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Oct 2020
Total Petrol: 756.3L
ODO: 67508
Av Consumption: 1.12 L/100km
reecho

Post by reecho »

Don't think Canion will work out of the box. Canion actually reads all CAN data and picks the relevant data from the headers. More than likely the headers will be specific to the "Brendan". Might be worth giving it a shot. The guys who wrote Canion might see it as a bit of a challenge to get it going...

I don't think the WiFi will help in any way shape or form.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hi Reecho,
reecho wrote: Don't think Canion will work out of the box. Canion actually reads all CAN data and picks the relevant data from the headers. More than likely the headers will be specific to the "Brendan". Might be worth giving it a shot. The guys who wrote Canion might see it as a bit of a challenge to get it going...
I agree, I emailed the developers shortly after I posted here. It'll be interesting to see what they have to say.
reecho wrote: I don't think the WiFi will help in any way shape or form.

I beg to differ. I currently connect to the PHEV Audio system using my tablet (mainly for talking books, but can do music as well of course). If I have to use bluetooth to connect Canion to a dongle, I lose the audio connection or get a second device.

Also, if I can use WiFi for Canion, I don't have to buy an OBD dongle :-D . Of course it depends on whether Mitsubishi make access to the CAN Bus available via WiFi. I'd have thought it would make sense to do so: they could interrogate vehicles brought in for servicing without even wheeling them into the workshop, let alone having to plug anything in.

The facilities available via the App you can get for the PHEV suggest to me the data it uses might originate from CAN data.

Actually, thinking through this more, the MMC (Mitsu Media Console) that came with our vehicle can display lots of detail about power consumption, fuel consumption etc which implies the MMC probably gets a CAN feed. I wonder if that is made available via the MMC Bluetooth connection? More research needed!

Cheers,
Last edited by rhills on Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

rhills wrote:Actually, thinking through this more, the MMC (Mitsu Media Console) that came with our vehicle can display lots of detail about power consumption, fuel consumption etc which implies the MMC probably gets a CAN feed. I wonder if that is made available via the MMC Bluetooth connection? More research needed!
So, I just took the tablet out to the garage and fired up the PHEV to see what I could find out. The tablet connected to the MMC via bluetooth OK. I then downloaded the Canion App and fired that up. It presented me with a list of bluetooth devices to connect to but it didn't include the PHEV connection.

I looked more closely at the configuration: the bluetooth connection between tablet and PHEV had two components: phone and media, of which only media was enabled. So I tried also enabling the phone component. Restarted the Canion app but it still didn't list the PHEV BT amongst the available connections. Maybe these other bluetooth devices offer a "data" connection so I picked one of them and looked at its bluetooth configuration. Nup, that only has Phone and Media too Image

So the first question I'll have for the Canion developers if they get back to me is: how do they "filter" the list of bluetooth devices they offer when you start up their app? That list even includes my Samsung Galaxy phone, so I'm not sure why it's discriminating against the PHEV BT device.

More to come (hopefully) ...
Last edited by rhills on Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

i would be careful of the elcheapo units

here is a free app and some info in some units

Torque Wiki
reecho

Post by reecho »

Will be interesting to see what Torque can pick up here on the PHEV. It's dead as a dodo on my I-Miev, most likely due to the fact the can data is bespoke...
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hi Guys,
reecho wrote: Will be interesting to see what Torque can pick up here on the PHEV. It's dead as a dodo on my I-Miev, most likely due to the fact the can data is bespoke...
The Torque info was interesting, thanks for the link Adverse Effects.

Reecho, I suspect that if the iMiev CAN data is bespoke, the PHEV will be also. Might see if I can borrow an OBD2 Adapter at some stage to test if it will work before forking out for my own.

Cheers,

Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
reecho

Post by reecho »

Happy to help Rob if you can't get your hands in the gear...

We can always capture some raw CAN data and sent it to Martin & Xavier and see what they can make of it...
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

is this unit any good for CAN Logging?

CANKIT - CANbus kit with Microcontroller and Cable