iMiEV app for W8??

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by LauraiMiEV »

I've read some posts here where people hook into the iMiEV computer to get all kinds of metrics using an Android based app. 2 questions:

Can I use any app if I don't have the Nav system (I have a radio with a USB port and bluetooth that presumably would work)?

Is there an app for Windows 8? My smartphone and computer both use it.

I'm sorry if my owners manual explains this - I didn't get a copy with my car and am awaiting one to be sent to me by the dealer.
reecho

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by reecho »

LauraiMiEV wrote: I've read some posts here where people hook into the iMiEV computer to get all kinds of metrics using an Android based app. 2 questions:

Can I use any app if I don't have the Nav system (I have a radio with a USB port and bluetooth that presumably would work)?

Is there an app for Windows 8? My smartphone and computer both use it.

I'm sorry if my owners manual explains this - I didn't get a copy with my car and am awaiting one to be sent to me by the dealer.

1)     No.....not possible. You can however with a change of radio, which I have done. You will also need a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the OBD port.

2)    No.....no app for windows 8 or IOS. Android only
Last edited by reecho on Fri, 28 Nov 2014, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by LauraiMiEV »

Bummer. Getting an Android tablet is pretty easy. How hard is it to change out the radio? What do I need to buy and where do I get it?

I asked at the dealer if swapping out the radio for the Nav version was possible and he said no but he was a used car guy and I'm pretty sure wanted to close the deal and get me out of his showroom with my odd little electric car!
reecho

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by reecho »

Radio is a piece of cake to change....but it isn't plug and play.....There is additional connections to consider like reverse signal input.

The radio i have is not polished overall, as the radio reception is sometimes weal and the bluetooth microphone is sometimes rubbish, but for "tinkering" it's great.

If you want a fuss free unit I wouldn't recommend it. A good quality tablet or phone will give you better performance. I use an OBDlink MX and this dongle works well with Canion.

If you do want a built in navi option there are plenty of options for aftermarket double din units.
mikedufty

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by mikedufty »

If you do manage to get the standard sat nav unit that won't help with the canion software, battery monitoring etc. That still needs an android device and a bluetooth OBD device.

Even if you get those it may take some fiddling. I couldn't get canion to work for more than 5 minutes at a time with my nexus 5, but it seems to work for others.
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by LauraiMiEV »

This is rapidly entering the "too hard" basket for me. All those on board metrics are more curiosity than necessity and if accessing them involves spending money buying dongles, sat nav system, Android tablets and Lord only knows what else, it just seems more time and money than it's worth.

I will continue to read posts from those of you who have put in the hard yards to get access to all that fascinating data with envy and interest.
antiscab

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by antiscab »

I bought a bluetooth dongle, and just ran the free software on my phone

I don't really use it unless I'm looking into some peculiar behavior

Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
Gabz

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by Gabz »

LauraiMiEV wrote: This is rapidly entering the "too hard" basket for me. All those on board metrics are more curiosity than necessity and if accessing them involves spending money buying dongles, sat nav system, Android tablets and Lord only knows what else, it just seems more time and money than it's worth.

yeah basically you need a bluetooth dongle ($30-$100) and a android device phone, tablet or car radio.

which is a bit of money to spend for curiosity.

Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by LauraiMiEV »

Gabz wrote:
LauraiMiEV wrote: This is rapidly entering the "too hard" basket for me. All those on board metrics are more curiosity than necessity and if accessing them involves spending money buying dongles, sat nav system, Android tablets and Lord only knows what else, it just seems more time and money than it's worth.

yeah basically you need a bluetooth dongle ($30-$100) and a android device phone, tablet or car radio.

which is a bit of money to spend for curiosity.

AND I'd have to swap the normal radio for a Sat Nav system. Right?
Adverse Effects

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by Adverse Effects »

no the hand held unit (phone / tablet) talks to the ODBII bluetooth unit
no mod to the car needed
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by LauraiMiEV »

Ah, that's less "too hard" then. I'll mull this over. Aldi has an Android tablet on sale on Wednesday for $99. If I could think of another use for it, it might all start to come together.
MDK
Groupie

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by MDK »

Gabz wrote:yeah basically you need a bluetooth dongle ($30-$100) and a android device phone, tablet or car radio.

You can get a bluetooth OBD2 dongle for ~$10 delivered, if you don't mind waiting a few weeks for delivery

Deal Extreme OBD2

I can't guarantee it works with the iMiEV, but a mate uses one with a (non PHEV) Outlander and an Android phone; I use one with a Mazda & Android.

And you can probably pick up a second hand tablet cheap cheap on gumtree or ebay, so you won't need to invest very much to try it out. If it doesn't work out, back on gumtree it goes :)

- Matt
Johny

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by Johny »

An easy alternative Laura is to attend an AEVA meeting or just meet up with someone who has the Canion and hardware and get a once over look at the pack condition.
Unless there is an anomoly (low cell) then you don't need continuous monitor anyway.
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

iMiEV app for W8??

Post by LauraiMiEV »

I'm such a noobie that I didn't know there were AEVA meetings. I now see there's one next week not too far from me. Not sure I can make it but I'll try. Thanks for the tip.