I-miev Insurance (Comprehensive)

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
doug
Groupie

Post by doug »

Hi,
after 12 months, I looked at renewal of my (NSW) Comprehensive Insurance. My cheapest price up to now was with Suncorp, insured thru the original selling dealer (that saved about $200 off the normal Suncorp quote).
I have now moved to Budget Direct. This was prompted by a search on the site (Thanks Darryl). My new quote was appreciably less than Suncorp, with a new car replacement for the next 12 months (new car 12 months ago, new replacement 2 yrs).
Darryl had spoken to a very helpful Kylie, but I found a very helpful Sharon. It seems like they have phone people who will go the extra yard. Anyway, the Imiev (& apparently the Leaf) is not listed on their website, so one needs to phone in. With a little pressure, they will honour the 20% on-line discount. My policy is a Gold Policy, with no glass cover. The increase for glass cover was about $75, so I need to think if I need it (as it is a country car). We only do about 15K/yr, so possibly not.

Hope this helps someone!
regards Doug
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I paid $500 for comprehensive with AAMI (covered $27k)

I'm 25 with no crash history and full NCB

my partner who was also listed on the policy was 22 with 3 previous accidents/claims

car is registered in my name
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

i have a bill on my desk for $711.36 from nrma for a agreed value of $34150 includes windscreen and $2k excess. age is range 25-30. looks like I need to do some shopping around.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

2K excess wow
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I just got my comprehensive insurance renewal notice this week from AAMI.

Our car is a 2012 white Imiev covered for $30,000 (hmm covered for 5k more than I payed for it) Private car Brisbane QLD.

20 million liability $600 excess. (Platinum safety status - rating one) I think I might have also listed (no drivers under 30yo)But not 100% on that. My wife and myself are both listed drivers both mid 30's. Car is parked in a low risk area and locked indoors.

They are asking for $530 this year. Will have to check what we payed last year. We always do some ringing around if they have put it up at all.

Just out of interest a new windscreen is about $250 for the imiev if you pay cash. So unless your planing on replacing it often it might not be worth paying to much extra for it to be covered.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 25 Jun 2014, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I think my excess was $2k or $3k too

on a brand new car that kinda damage is still cosmetic anyway
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

"

on a brand new car that kinda damage is still cosmetic anyway "

I'm struggling to follow your logic. Image

Kurt
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

offgridQLD wrote: "

on a brand new car that kinda damage is still cosmetic anyway "

I'm struggling to follow your logic. Image

I don't fix cosmetic damage - if my 2 year old car has dents I don't care (enough to pay to fix it)

I'll just take a chance that the damage isn't to someone elses car/stuff
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Ok,
    Lets say standard excess is $600 and your premium is $500 pa. Then you decide to up your excess to $3000. Your premium will drop but based on the last time I got a quote it didn't drop that much (they are not going to give you the insurance for free)From memory it dropped from say $500 - $400 at most.

Now you walk away with a $100 saving pa though any claim where you have to pay and you have lost that $100 saving for the next 26 years.

In the country I think I might just get away with it but in the city over 26 years I'm sure some bad luck would happen at least once even to the best of drivers.

kurt.
bindi
Groupie

Post by bindi »

I ended up going with Youi - I literally contacted every company and they were to most cost effective.. so many places didn't have the imeiv on their database or would only cover it for the original $53,000 so was crazy expensive.

I think your postcode has a massive bearing on costs.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Country area, drivers both in thirties, parked outside, both of us are around the $600 a year mark for our iMievs.
That's with windscreen cover (live on a gravel road where many of the locals do Mach 3...), $425 excess, both rating one.
I have made one claim, for wallaby strike.
Got another wallaby strike to deal with at some point....the areas alive with them! The last kilometre home, if I don't see at least a dozen by the roadside at night then I count it as a quiet night.....
RACT insurance. Covered for around $21k.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Anyone in WA found a good iMiEV insurer? I tend to consider insurance a necessary evil for worst case scenarios, so go for the lowest cost highest excess option.
(no at fault claims for 24 years and hoping to carry on in a similar manner)

Not to say there haven't been a few dents that could have been claimed if I had a smaller excess.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

offgridQLD wrote: Ok,
    Now you walk away with a $100 saving pa though any claim where you have to pay and you have lost that $100 saving for the next 26 years.
kurt.

Depends on the insurer. AAMI have a decent reduction with excess,
Quoted me $229 with $2000excess or $406 with $545 excess, so the higher excess works out cheaper if you claim less than once every 8 years.
Woolworths give you the offer to choose $3000 excess, but charge the same for that as if you choose a $1900 excess! probably just bad webpage design.

So far AAMI and Woolworths are the only companies I can get an online quote from, and even then only by pretending I have a 2011/MY12 model instead of a 2010.

Both around the $1 per day mark which seems reasonable.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Just recently read that the RAC are not insuring motorcycles any more. his came up as someone who just recently bought a Brammo was looking for insurers, and the RAC flat out refused. Interesting, as they want to be known for their support for EVs and low emission vehicles.

Also curious was that Swann Insurance didn't have the Brammo on their system, and were not inclined to add it. Curious, as Swann Insurance sponsors the Australasian Suberbikes (AFXSBK) which includes the country's only all-electric race class...

If you can get a good starting price out of the RAC, mention that you are an AEVA member they should drop the premium further for you. You will need to contact Adam.Savage@rac.com.au and get him to go in and bat for you.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

The RAC will not insure any vehicle with less than a 4 star safety rating, for some years now.
A motor cycle is a motor vehicle with somewhat less than 1 star rating so I guess they are sticking to their policy.
I don't see that this has anything to do with supporting EVs though.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Nope, just learned that they will still insure motorcycles, just not the latest electric ones: http://rac.com.au/insurance/car-insuran ... -insurance

Their "Less Emissions Mission" includes i-MiEVs and Leafs and all models of Tesla - so flaunt your AEVA membership and haggle for a discount!
http://rac.com.au/news-community/enviro ... car-search

An email from Adam Savage late last year:

"As briefly touched on, RAC Insurance wants to a serious player regarding providing insurance solutions for EV owners. If you ever have any queries in this regard please do not hesitate to contact me and I, or one my colleagues, will be only too happy to help.
Regards,
Adam"
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

RAC's online quote form doesn't acknowledge the existence of the i-MiEV. I'd rather go with someone that allows an online application but that may not be possible with the i-MiEV so I may try calling RAC.

Budget direct have the i-MiEV there to select but then requires you to choose a year, from a blank list. They did agree to give the online discount from a phone quote since the web page doesn't let you choose it.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Correction, RAC do have i-MiEV on the list, but only if you choose 2014 for the year first. Very good price for the 2014/MY12.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I've signed up with RAC for $204. Had to phone them, but because I did an online quote first (selecting 2014 model) they were able to retain the $100 online discount. Substantially cheaper than the other quotes I had, presumably thanks to their low emissions discount.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Just discovered it was actually $304 with RAC (online discount already taken off) still pretty good, though I'm annoyed they didn't communicate the price to me successfully until after deducting it from my credit card.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

I think I am being ripped off. I am paying $89 per month for my 2010 insured for $20,000 with no finance for private use only. $800 excess.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Might not be comparable to WA, because 3rd party injury insurance is included in the rego here.
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

We live in Richmond NSW (outer Sydney) and paid $695 for $25000 comprehensive insurance on our iMiEV 2012 with $1175 excess with AAMI. Significantly, it comes with 24x7 Roadside Assist.

I called about the RA to confirm that it includes towing on a flat bed if we run out of charge. Being new to the car (and the whole electric car thing) we thought some sort of Roadside towing might come in handy in case we're stupid. And this policy actually was pretty close to the cheapest going anyway so the roadside assist is pretty much a freebie.

Gabz

Post by Gabz »

the car comes with roadside assist provided you get it serviced yearly.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

Our car came with a Mitsubishi warranty without roadside assist. We need to get it serviced yearly at an approved repairer for the warranty to remain valid.

If we wanted RA, we have to have it serviced every 6 months at the dealer where we bought it (it is a dealer specific warranty, not a Mitsubishi warranty).

The dealer is an hour from home and what in the world does the car need every 6 months?
Last edited by LauraiMiEV on Tue, 02 Dec 2014, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.