Another Perth i-MiEVer

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Norse
Noobie

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Norse »

Hello, have been following this forum and the general EV story in Aus for about a year and after a lot of hand wringing and umming and ahhing finally jumped last week and bought an i-MiEV.
The variables in our day to day car usage seem to me to be perfectly suited to incorporating an EV into our car mix. We have had a 5kw grid tied PV system for about 2 years with annually about 40% of electricity produced wastefully being exported to the grid for a measly 9 c/kwh return. We currently do about 90 km a day of metro driving comprised largely of soccer mum duties with the car sitting at home for periods during the day. So with a combination of charging the i when the sun is shining along with the overnight 15 c/kwh tariff I estimate our car energy costs should drop to about 20% of what they were.The plan is that our ageing ICE will become our secondary car to fill in the gaps when 2 cars are needed, when we occasionally need to do longer trips and for towing duties.
The i is an ex demo 2011 MY12 with 5k on the clock. i's for sale in the west had dried up in the last 6 months so when this appeared last week with a $20k price tag, new car warranty, sat nav, mats and stamp duty included it was well past my tipping point.
I test drove it with a full charge and nursing it along the best I could with a mixture of freeway and metro driving, it managed 100 km with 2 bars left, so happy with that. With the vehicle being almost 3 years old and obviously having sat around for most of that time it appears the battery pack has held up well. After the first few charges it seems the range has even improved slightly.
Respect for all the input and experience on this forum, I don't have anywhere near the technical knowledge some of you do, without your wealth of information I probably wouldn't have had the confidence to buy this black sheep of a car. With the final piece in the puzzle coming back lately on longer term battery degradation seeming to be optimistic, this car seems to make sense purely from economic point of view.... time will tell.

Johny

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Johny »

Welcome to the forum - at least the posting, not lurking part anyway! Image
I think you got a great deal Alan. So far all of the i's that have been purchased after sitting around at dealerships have improved the battery pack during the first few weeks of regular use.
Your situation sounds perfect for the iMiev.
jonescg

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by jonescg »

Welcome aboard! If you're not already an AEVA member I strongly suggest you sign up and get along to our meetings. Many an iMiEV experience to be shared, and lots of exciting stuff on the horizon too. The EV has certainly come of age, and Perth seems to be a pretty popular place for it Image
Cheers,
Chris
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
Norse
Noobie

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Norse »

Hi Chris,
I am hoping to get along to the next Perth branch meeting at UWA.I went to the Electrikhana event last year so may have already met a few of you briefly.

Cheers Alan.
bga

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by bga »

Welcome!
Good buy!!

Bring your 'i along and it can meet some others at the next meeting.

Cheers
Bruce
It's not the end of the world, but I can see it from here.
Gabz

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Gabz »

like johny said sometimes the battery packs becomes very unbalanced so you need to a couple changes from 2-3 bars to full changed a couple times to rebalance the pack. if you read the manual it says to do this every couple of months. etc..
g4qber

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by g4qber »

hows your obdlink lx gabz?
do you leave it in the imiev all the time?

I'm using the batman dongle cos the obdlink mx kept freezing on me after approx 10 trips & I have to physically unplug/plug it back into the port.

I was thinking of getting the LX as a comparison cos the batman is a bit skeletal; no protection of the circuit boards.

Norse, can u PM me so we can meet up, so I can show u the OBDC dongle, will be interesting to see how balanced your pack is.

Have loaned MX to Andre for now.
http://c-it.net.au
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Gabz »

g4qber wrote: hows your obdlink lx gabz?
do you leave it in the imiev all the time?

It works fine I don't leave it plugged in all the time because I have reservation about connecting a critical system to a tablet, which wasn't the most reliable to begin with.
Norse
Noobie

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Norse »

Question on best practise for battery charging?
Our daily schedule consists roughly of a 20-30 km trip in the morning before returning home for several hours before the same trip mid afternoon and then most days another soccer mum run late arvo. Other than juggling the variables of whether the sun is shining and what the tariff rates are at the time, should I be charging at all during the day when exported kwh are bought by the energy company at 9c/kwh or should I just clock up the approx 80-90 km and recharge overnight and pay 15c/kwh?
Norse
Noobie

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Norse »

pm sent g4qber.
winners
Noobie
AIM: 8 Hopkins Way

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by winners »

If all things were equal and you managed to charge for 3 hours in the afternoon the the cost would be 27cents charging at night would be 45cents as you know. However there is another benefit your battery pack would be discharged less through the day after the short 3 hour charge keeping the battery at a higher charge level in case you took a detour or needed to go on an extra errand later in the day. I certainly see a difference in lithium batteries on ebikes that have been pushed to the limits or taken care of.
winners
Noobie
AIM: 8 Hopkins Way

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by winners »

In addition to the last post depending on how much over you are of your solar output would change the amount so the 27cents could be the full tariff if there was no solar output to be used either way if your only being paid 9cents it's better to use it if you know you will be charging on the 15cent tariff later anyway.
offgridQLD

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by offgridQLD »

Welcome to the forum,
                     Nice to see another Imiev on the road. Your situation sounds perfect for the Imiev. Considering your wasted daytime PV output and your 90km a day driving made up of small trips you should get great value from the Imiev.

Kurt

g4qber

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by g4qber »

Saw a pink imiev today around Melville Perth
While on way to Melville Mitsu
They have outlander phev

No chademo it seems

Saw John Hughes from a distance.
Martin is the man at John Hughes.
Chademo too expensive allegedly to fit for Aussie version.
Still have to see for myself that it is not present.
offgridQLD

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by offgridQLD »

"Saw a pink imiev today "

I dint think it was possible to make the Imiev look or feel any less macho. but I guess there are ways like painting it pink Image Image

Kurt
g4qber

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by g4qber »

Was a lady driver. I was thinking of ordering the pink one in 2011. Already have a pink credit card. But I wanted a low profile.

Thought of stalking her but wanted to check out the outlander phev. Maybe next time.

Had stalked bill's volvo conversion, Robyn's red tesla and rouhi's titanium imiev which came all the way from heartland Mitsubishi.

Also followed an icar to the vet.
http://www.recargo.com/sites/2673
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
acmotor

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by acmotor »

Hi Norse, good choice of vehicle there.... enjoy.

J.... Pink ? didn't know that was a colour option for the iMiEV.
Black, white, silver, road gime, rasberry red and blue (the latter metalic jobs) in Oz.
Are you certain it was an iMiEV and not just a dino i Image

iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
carnut1100
Groupie

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by carnut1100 »

Welcome to the wonderful world of iMiEV ownership!!!
You won't regret it...
g4qber

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by g4qber »

raspberry red
Gabz

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Gabz »

Ok lets be clear raspberry red is not pink !!
Norse wrote: Question on best practise for battery charging?

besides cost you have other factors
  • it's bad to charge from near full to full
  • it's bad to leave the car near empty
  • tesla and Nissan seem to think you should only charge to 80%
  • weather conditions
so if it's raining recharge during the day as your afternoons runs will need more power. if your morning run only knock 1 bar off then it's probably bad to charge to full. it's bad to leave your car with 1-2 bars left.

until your sure of the range and limitations it's best to top it up. for each outing so you don't have any range surprises.
offgridQLD

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by offgridQLD »

2 bars is over 20% SOC can't see that being to bad sitting at that for a while (within reason). What's wrong with charging from near full to full not that I do it . The only issue I can see once when my charger was mistakenly turned off when my car was at 96% I needed to charge to 100% to get where I was going but after turning the charger back on the charger pulled the pin at about 97% and won't charge anymore. Roughly the last 5% to full needs to be done in one go starting from below 95% or it won't fully charge to 100%.

I would say avoid anything that gets your battery's hot is the most critical.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 13 Apr 2014, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Gabz »

if I get home with <2 bars I give up on the cost saving of using solar and plug in it where if I get home with more and not going out the next day I leave it 12 hours until the grid connected solar can charge it.

as for the charging from near full to full the manual says it's a bad idea i can't really give you a better reason
offgridQLD

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by offgridQLD »

I agree when we reach our offgrid house Friday nights we are usually at 2 bars throw it on charge for 1hr (sucking 2.2kwh from the 63kwh lead acid house bank) then charge again in the morning. Though I have started to think is there any real reason to do so.

So many theory's and ideas but how many are based on fact.

We need more Ev on the road and more people collecting data.in theory study's done on tiny cells like AA size battery cells or RC models even mobile phones are a good window as it's much faster and Less expensive to cycle abuse and test them

Kurt
acmotor

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by acmotor »

An observation is that a device like a mobile phone is almost always charged to 100% each plug in. The difference is that it begins discharge straight away (normally) to last maybe 12-48 hours depending on use.

An EV may be charged to 100% but unless it is then driven it will sit with no drain on battery .... until actually driven.

I almost always charge to 100% but time that so the vehicle will be driven within an hour or so of charge finish, so it spends as little time as possible in the high state of charge. If I am not using it for a day or week I will either cut the charge short or go for a drive so around 80% is there for the sit around time. I did on one occasion turn the heater on full for 20 minutes and this sucked 1kWh out of the pack.
...and the logic behind that ?? EV manufacturers suggest avoid the ends of charge based on the lithium chemistry.
Note also that a good way to kill a lithium battery seems to be leaving it on (float/full) charge... e.g. notebook batteries seem to die if plugged into the charger all the time.

I'd not leave a battery full or empty any longer than necessary, though as Kurt says, 2 bars is not empty.

At 50+kkm this is working fine though it may also have worked despite me !
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
Norse
Noobie

Another Perth i-MiEVer

Post by Norse »

So if you are topping up overnight or even charging from 2 or 3 bars, are you using a timer to be fully charged close to your departure time in the morning or is that getting too pedantic?