New Imiev may be bigger . current battery shortage

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

so the next imiev "might " be bigger, and the current Imievs are being held up by battery shortages.

“Right now, we want maximum production of the plug-in hybrid, so i-MiEV battery production is being deprioritized. We can make only 30,000 plug-in vehicles this year. But from next April, battery output should increase to just over 5,000 units a month, and that means about 60,000 units annually for the plug-in. By then, we will have shifted battery production for the i-MiEV to a different plant.”

“The problem at the moment is that we’re not able to produce enough i-MiEV batteries. But from next April, there will be an increase in the production of batteries for the plug-in hybrids.” (Plug - ins refer to Outlander - which is selling like hot cakes)

“Regarding the next generation, we’re not sure if it would be the same size. It might be better to have a vehicle a little larger.”

Here is the link

Battery Shortage Imiev, new model bigger?

Would you want the Imiev bigger, or are you happy with the size as it is?
Last edited by marty11 on Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Good question Marty.
When the iMiEV first came out I for one was horrified at the visual size. Perhaps fortunate as I wasn't then prepared to pay the opening price and waited for the deals to start.
I made a very conscious step to a small vehicle but have found it more than adequate and not that small after all.
The i has reminded us that the hummer /f250 concept of vehicle size is irresponsible in energy and space and operating cost.
Given that I source my energy from wt and PV as much as possible, overall energy consumption is a big factor. So a larger EV is only ok if it uses no more energy. Aerodynamics and weight reduction are the required direction there. The present offering of EVs and even worse EREVs have not been able to address those issues.
On that point, the only energy consumption that I really believe is the one when I drive on my runs. That levels the field of range claims that are out there. Prospective EV buyers should drive their runs and not be led by other EV owners or by dealers.

So to the question... Only if it used the same or less energy.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Credit to Tesla for making the model S - a good looking, regular sized sedan with a huge battery, but still doesn't weigh too much. 200 Wh/km is pretty good going for a vehicle that big. Shame about the price tag, but I really want to see the all electric Honda Fit in Australia. That thing has the economy, power, range, aerodynamics and it actually looks like a regular small car. Give it 24 kWh and it will probably go for 200 km.

Then they can do a pure EV Honda CR-Z.
Last edited by jonescg on Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

Hi to Ac..

Edit (oops another post came in while I was posting)

Yep I kinda like the Imiev at the size it is, and would opt for it to stay the same, and be able to take advantage, say, of higher density battery packs that weigh the same, and fit into the same space, in years to come.

I guess they have done their market research, but if they are short of batteries at present, and they have a price point now, which appeals to a lot of bev buyers, they could be at the start of a wave of sales during late 2014 / 2015, just on the existing model as is.

The fact that you and a few others waited for the deals was indeed a very wise move! Was glad to hear what prices were being talked about the last few months..

I hear you on the energy levels required to move an EV or EREV.

Also each person should test the normal drive they would be doing. .work etc. even checking with the boss prior to getting the car, to see if it can be charged at work.
Last edited by marty11 on Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Honda doesn't have fast charge DC DC
But has ac 6.6 kW
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/0 ... da-fit-ev/

driver's seat not adjustable for height, hence may not suit shorter people.

It is a compliance car
But is more efficient than I
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do? ... 3&id=33640

But is front wheel drive too. Allegedly can get more regen from front wheel drive

The spark EV seems to be more better. I just hope that it won't trip rcds like my volt

The I only has 4 stars ancap rating.
http://howsafeisyourcar.com.au/Search?m ... l=i%20MiEV

Although mx5 also has 4 stars too.
http://howsafeisyourcar.com.au/Search?m ... del=MX%205

fiat 500e - no DC charging yet, waiting for SAE Combo Charging, but it too has 6.6 kW AC charging
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/15/2013 ... ve-review/
Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 29 Dec 2013, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
adelaide-ev
Groupie

Post by adelaide-ev »

Quote:"Yep I kinda like the Imiev at the size it is, and would opt for it to stay the same, and be able to take advantage, say, of higher density battery packs that weigh the same, and fit into the same space, in years to come"

Well after owning my imiev for a whole 10 days (hardly an expert yet)....I'm definitely in this group!!!

Done about 15 "test rides' for friends already and with plenty of room inside they all agree it's surprisingly large enough for everyday transport and nippy to drive and park. Plus with 5 doors, better than lots of small hatchbacks with only 3 doors for transporting children and grandchildren too.

Whilst I won't be able to completely replace my ICE until there is more ev range and towing capability (camper and box trailer), I am happily planning to use the i for a lot of weekend trips too. The ICE ownership could easily be shared, with the limited use I need it for now.

Quote:" When the iMiEV first came out I for one was horrified at the visual size. Perhaps fortunate as I wasn't then prepared to pay the opening price and waited for the deals to start.
I made a very conscious step to a small vehicle but have found it more than adequate and not that small after all. The i has reminded us that the hummer /f250 concept of vehicle size is irresponsible in energy and space and operating cost."

Ditto - in the waiting for the price to come down time, I bought a small 3 door hatch (with a view to convert) - so did my "downsizing and range" practice with that - very successfully as it turns out. I may not have found the adjustment to the i so easy without that step to remind me small cars are perfectly adequate and lots of fun.

So if by "bigger" they mean physical size...then no, it's great as it is. No need for us all to have big, or even medium, cars for everyday use

If they mean "bigger range" in the same physical size....then yes - that would be terrific.

Last edited by adelaide-ev on Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

I'm glad there are others who have embraced the downsize.

Re the tesla 85kWh battery pack ..... You realise the iMiEV could reach a gentle 1,000km range with that pack given that the iMiEV can manage 100Wh/km plug to wheel with care and the 85kWh pack will be around 100kWh to recharge.
adelaide-ev
Groupie

Post by adelaide-ev »

Quote: " You realise the iMiEV could reach a gentle 1,000km range with the tesla 85kW pack "

LOL - that would be amazing - only have to charge once a month for local driving! Is that pack heavier to lug around???

Now, how could I get the imiev to also tow a 300kg camper trailer(which is what I normally tow with the 1000km range (dual fuel) on my ICE).

And how long to recharge 100kW at a stopover?

I do have visions of an imiev with pop up tent for downsizing my camping options!
Last edited by adelaide-ev on Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

acmotor wrote:Re the tesla 85kWh battery pack ..... You realise the iMiEV could reach a gentle 1,000km range with that pack given that the iMiEV can manage 100Wh/km plug to wheel with care and the 85kWh pack will be around 100kWh to recharge.

Imagine how far an EV could go on 600 kWh worth of energy (aka gas tank) Image Not sure it could physically fit inside an iMiEV, or that it wouldn't represent about half the vehicle's GVM, but it's an otherwise sound proposition Image

I guess Tesla are giving the punters what they want. A nice, big, fast, long range car, which comes with a commensurate GVM and price tag.

I have found that there are several transport options which do many things quite well, but a few things either badly or exceptionally well. Like walking for example is perfect for short trips, not great for medium, and hopeless for long trips. e-bikes are overkill for short trips, but 10-20 km trips are a cinch. Automobiles can do 100-500 km trips no sweat, but the short to medium trips represent some serious over-capitalisation. So I have decided that my transport 'quiver' will consist of a regular pushbike for 90% of my transport needs, and a 250 km capable electric car for the other 10% of my trips (which are almost always long trips). The electric race bike is for the weekends and until I get it roadworthy won't represent any meaningful transport.

Because in my circumstances, an EV would need to be a drop-in replacement for my ICE vehicles. Anything less would mean a bit more inconvenience. As far as EV ownership is concerned, my transport needs are pretty badly aligned with EVs, but that will likely change too.

So buying an EV for most will mean having a good long think about your transport needs before committing. It would be financially gormless for me to own a Tesla. But it would be nice Image
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Yes, valid point that...... Transport needs aligning with EVs.
The truth is that for so many people they do actually align if they could admit that they don't do Kakadu every second week Image
In my case I'm on the outer edge of the present EV envelope. Any more and I'd have to downgrade to a volt. Image
If a volt owner could have purchased a 600km BEV then volts wouldn't be selling. Give it time.

Edit: Tesla's danger is that they will be consumed by the big names if they don't address the need for low cost, smaller, low energy EVs as well. The air is thin at the top end of the market and once BMW, merc and Audi for instance offer their EVs , tesla will have its work cut out. The big sales are in the mass consumer market.
Last edited by acmotor on Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 »

I'm happy with the current i-MiEV form factor.
It carries four adults in comfort or two adults and a large amount of cargo.

It isn't perfect, there are a few areas it could be improved.

1. Same size wheels and tires front and back.
2. 12V heated seat for passenger as well as driver
3. Heat pump heating, that 5kW jug element heater is insane!
4. Better aerodynamics.

We'd all like a bit more range but with current battery tech
there has to be a weight penalty for more cells.

I think BMW got the i3 right, carbon fibre for lower weight and
and modestly sized battery pack.

How many would be prepared to pay more for a longer ranged i-MiEV?
Carbon or aluminum 24kWh pack i-MiEV?

g4qber

Post by g4qber »

2014 imiev has passenger front heated seat

american imiev already has
a) timer
b) preconditioning.

agreed heat pump would be good.
this is already in the zoe.
Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 29 Dec 2013, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Al-Bunzel
Noobie

Post by Al-Bunzel »

adelaide-ev wrote:
Now, how could I get the imiev to also tow a 300kg camper trailer(which is what I normally tow with the 1000km range (dual fuel) on my ICE).

And how long to recharge 100kW at a stopover?

I do have visions of an imiev with pop up tent for downsizing my camping options!

Have you seen the Electric MG TF converted by Glen George? He has a caravan which he tows, but it also serves as a range extender with an extra set of batteries (and there is GenSet which rarely gets used). It has driven around Australia and he continues to tour around Australia with it.

The car has a 23kwh pack (not sure about caravan) and that takes 9 hours to charge, but I guess that is using a 10A plug

Now you got me thinking - has anyone thought of splitting battery packs and using multiple chargers when recharging? I realise it would be difficult on OEM Electric Cars, but for diy Electric Vehicle Conversions, would that be feasible?
Al-Bunzel
Noobie

Post by Al-Bunzel »

Here is a picture of the Electric MG TF with the caravan.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

I saw that electric MG in Hobart a dew days ago....

Re: size.
I came from driving a Volvo 240, as well as my day job driving a 12.5 metre bus....iMiev was different!
Almost 5,000km later, I would not like to go back.
My Volvo sits in the yard and only gets used when I want to tow, I have not needed the longer range yet.

The iMiev is very well packaged. Only one person has complained of a lack of room, and that was a lack of width in the passenger seat when they were a little squished. back seat they were fine and nobody of average build has thought it anything less than comfortable.
Would I buy a Tesla if I could afford one? YOU BETCHA!
But iMiev is very practical in my book....

So many of my family, friends, and colleagues have ribbed me about it at first....but one drive shuts them up!
Nobody turns down an offer to drive it....my brother wants one but can't afford one.
My neighbour is having one shipped down from Sydney after falling in love with mine....
They really are a great little car!

What is annoying;
No DRLs
No cruise
5kW heater!!!
No heater for passenger seat
No light in luggage bay
No steering wheel buttons for stereo (something I never knew was so good until I drove a car with them....)
No precharge!! Seriously, US models have it, why can't we????
Speaker grilles in rear doors but no speakers? Wtf?

Everything else is fine.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Make it wider and give it a lower roof line. It will look better and be more aerodynamic.

Come to think of it if your dong all that to the body. Just start with a clean sheet of paper and come up with something new. The Imiev is based on a 2006( Mitsubishi I) body that's dated.Come up with something new but keep the foundations of the car the same. Small battery pack (sub 20kw) Simplicity and efficient.

All that said is anyone really going to pay the asking price for a new model Imiev, what ever that happens to be? They are going to have to do way better than the pricing structure of the original Imiev before the run out deals started if they want to sell any of them.

Kurt