Aftermarket iMiEV battery upgrade project

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
jonescg

Re: Aftermarket iMiEV battery upgrade project

Post by jonescg » Sun, 23 Dec 2018, 15:00

Moderator note: Some posts that had drifted off-topic were move here.
===================================
tonyw wrote:
Wed, 12 Dec 2018, 06:15
How do you connect to those Liyuan cells? I see no threaded holes for studs.

Is there a protective sticker over the hole, perhaps? Over the hole on the pole ;)?
They haven't been drilled and tapped yet. They like to keep the options open.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

BJOR
Noobie

Post by BJOR » Mon, 24 Dec 2018, 04:39

Is there an order going ahead for these batteries? I'm in Brisbane and want 1 to test please.
cheers.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Mon, 24 Dec 2018, 09:03

BJOR wrote:
Mon, 24 Dec 2018, 04:39
Is there an order going ahead for these batteries? I'm in Brisbane and want 1 to test please.
cheers.
No orders yet, but I hope to place the order for 100 Ah cells early next year. Since the cells will be delivered to Fremantle there will be some shipping costs to get them across to Brisbane, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it. I want to get the battery enclosures before committing to a cell order, although if in the end it doesn't fit, I'm sure there will be buyers.
Chris

Drdove
Noobie

Post by Drdove » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 10:45

Hey gents, I am interested in this project and am considering attempting it myself.

However, I know for a fact that thei-MiEV won’t recognize more capacity. It will have to be hacked.

I had the battery replaced by the dealer. Afterwards it still said I had 22 Ah. So the car operates solyon current in and out. I drove my car till it stopped moving and it still had 3.85 volts per cell. I looked up in the shop Manuel and it said you have to reset the capacity with the MUT3. So I went to the dealer and he said he reset the capacity but now I had 27 Ah. So I took it back and showed him the procedure from the shop manual. It says to send the reset command until it reads 45Ah. This time I recovered full capacity. So, no matter what cells you have it only goes to 45 Ah.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 11:58

Drdove wrote:
Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 10:45
So the car operates solely on current in and out.
Interesting - so would Matt's hack work then? Basically put a second shunt in parallel with the existing one so it only measures half the current being drawn from the pack?
Or does the iMiEV use a Hall effect sensor? If we can hack it to read more than 45 Ah that would be ideal, but not without a lot of detective work first.

mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 12:14

Apparently the register used to transmit battery capacity as a can packet only reads 0-60Ah (BMU Item 23/24 http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/on ... 600ENG.HTM). I think the 45Ah threshold is where they want it to calibrate to after cycling a new pack for a few times before letting it go out the door.

I think the more important question is where this capacity reading is used. If the trigger for turtle mode is cell voltages (or temperature) rather than the capacity I think it won't matter that the capacity is read wrong. It might mess with the Guess-O-meter. Battery maximum output power (BMU data Item 26) seems to me to be more likely to be the "turtle mode" trigger?

My pack is from 2015, so I've got a ways to go before it's not getting me the range I need. However when it isn't I'll be seriously considering some 75Ah+ cells. Contingency plan if repacking the battery doesn't work is to add it to home energy storage.

Johny

Post by Johny » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 13:26

The most reasonable assumption I can think of is that turtle mode is invoked if any cell hits a low voltage threshold.