Fitting CarPlay headunit and dashcam to 2012 Nissan Leaf

Nissan EV Interest Group
jaimyn
Noobie

Fitting CarPlay headunit and dashcam to 2012 Nissan Leaf

Post by jaimyn »

Hey guys,

I've just finished upgrading the ageing touchscreen system in our 2012 Nissan Leaf. I've also installed a 2 channel (front/rear) dashcam as well. The head unit I used was the Sony XAV AX5000 which we previously used in our older camry.

I'm a member over at HSBNE Inc. so I've been documenting it in our build logs. Instead of duplicating the content over here I thought I'd just link to that thread. It can be found https://forum.hsbne.org/t/leafy-our-201 ... des/3610/3. I put together a guide on how to do this so hopefully others find it useful.

I don't have the reverse camera or steering wheel controls hooked up yet as I'm waiting for more bits to arrive. Has anyone else done something similar to this? Would be keen to see how it turned out!
2012 Nissan Leaf with upgraded Car Play enabled stereo, 2 channel dashcam and OVMS module
1990s suzuki electric motorcycle conversion (in progress)
Evolve Bamboo GTX electric skateboard with custom built 18650 battery
brunohill
Groupie

Re: Fitting CarPlay headunit and dashcam to 2012 Nissan Leaf

Post by brunohill »

Is the charge level/timer, climate control timer etc all still programmable on the replacement head unit?
reecho

Post by reecho »

brunohill wrote: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:43 Is the charge level/timer, climate control timer etc all still programmable on the replacement head unit?
No. I guess that's why he is intending on using a OVMS module.
jaimyn
Noobie

Post by jaimyn »

Sorry I didn't get notified of your reply @brunohill!

Unfortunately the replacement head unit is just a generic double din mount unit, so it you lose the ability to do a charge and climate control timer. However, we don't care about that and the OVMS module can essentially replace the need for those features. You also lose the ability to see the air con set temperature/mode but we only use the auto button so this hasn't been a problem for us.
2012 Nissan Leaf with upgraded Car Play enabled stereo, 2 channel dashcam and OVMS module
1990s suzuki electric motorcycle conversion (in progress)
Evolve Bamboo GTX electric skateboard with custom built 18650 battery