Nissan Australia Leaf 1.0 battery replacement

Nissan EV Interest Group
Sundrive
Noobie

Re: Nissan Australia Leaf 1.0 battery replacement

Post by Sundrive »

New Post to this forum, not very experienced when it comes to Forum etiquette so please be patient with any blunders.

I recently took advantage of Nissan Australia's subsidised Leaf battery replacement offer, 2012 model, first registered 2014, hit eight bars at 121,000km, battery took over five months to come in, just fitted last week at 127,000 km.

Fully charged by dealer at level 2 charging and drove it home 40km from dealer on Friday. Full charge over night at home and first range testing trip was Saturday 23rd May. I must say, I am completely underwhelmed! I was anticipating that the "new" 24kWh replacement battery will bring us back to something like the original real world driving range of about 120km that the Leafs should have had.

Here is what we got. Note that the energy meters in the car reset as a result of the battery change over, so, from new on Friday my driving was averaging 170Wh per kilometre, as a result of my usual habit of gentle throttle use. So, at 170Wh per kilometre at approx 91km we hit "Low Battery Alert". Now, I cannot find anywhere in the Nissan Leaf Owner manual at what % SOC the LB alert kicks in, but if we do the maths 91 x 170Wh = 15.470 kWH out of a 24kWh pack is only 64%. So some questions if any members can help please;

What is useable capacity of the nominal 24kWh pack?

Does anyone know at what SOC% of nominal or useable capacity is "Low Battery Alert" supposed to activate?

Will useable capacity increase some as the battery cycles up and down through its first few cycles?

Should I be underwhelmed by this outcome, has anyone else had similar experience with a new battery replacement?

Thank you Leaf owners.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

The battery pack is supposed to be a brand new 24 kWh pack and you should be expecting brand new performance. What does LEAFspy say about the state of health of the battery?
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

Just had another thought: perhaps the issue is that the BMS has not re-calibrated itself to the new battery yet? It may take some time for that to happen.

How much range did you get from the old battery? 90km sounds about right for 8 bars.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

If that's the case I think Nissan should have said something like "by the way, your range will still be down for the first few cycles. Don't panic, it just needs to adjust to the new capacity."
That being said I'm pretty sure the main bms computer is inside the pack so unless it's just the instrument cluster not querying the pack and assuming the range. But that would be silly as what happens if the range is less than what the cluster thinks?
It would be interesting to see what leafspy says about the new cells immediately after the swap
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

Yes, I think LEAFspy would have to be the next port of call.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

Sundrive wrote: Sun, 24 May 2020, 14:48 ...
Should I be underwhelmed by this outcome, has anyone else had similar experience with a new battery replacement?
Hi @Sundrive , yours is strange indeed. Experience from other leaf users are way more positive then yours. I replied to your post on the other forum here.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

My LEAF battery is scheduled to be replaced under the Nissan battery replacement program on Wednesday. It should be like a new car.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

It would be nice if they put in a 40 kWh instead of a 24 kWh. It must almost be cheaper for them to do so rather than have small production runs of 24 kWh batteries. I believe they are already replacing 30 kWh batteries with 40 kWh for that reason.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I wonder what they do with the old batteries.
My understanding is that a second hand lithium battery can not be shipped out of the country which is the reason they are stockpiling them somewhere in Australia until they have enough to setup a plant to process them.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

I understand that they are sent to Relectrify (https://www.relectrify.com) in Melbourne whereupon they are turned into stationary storage. Hooray.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

My new battery is installed. The GOM showed 167 km when driving out of the workshop. Hooray. A surprisingly painless process in the end. The hardest part was estimating how much charge to add for the final trip to the dealership. :-)
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

bje wrote: Sat, 01 Aug 2020, 10:44 My new battery is installed.
Welcome to the club!

I don't suppose you know what battery generation the replacement is? In mynissanleaf terms, is it a canary (original), wolf (intermediate), lizard (best for hot climates), or other?
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

I don't know. Is there any way to find out other than to ask?
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

Does anyone know the part numbers of the different LEAF battery chemistries?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

bje wrote: Mon, 03 Aug 2020, 16:18 Does anyone know the part numbers of the different LEAF battery chemistries?
From my notes, which I think I found from a post on mynissanleaf.com, I have that the third last character of the battery model number designates:
A: original gen 1 (canary)
B: ?
D or E: 24 kWh "gen 2" (wolf or lizard?)
3 or F: 30 kWh lizard
G 40 kWh
? 62 kWh

The Lizard battery in the US is supposed to be (end in?) 3NF9E, with the last letter a D if there is no battery heater installed.

My battery is part number N*295B03NA6A, at least according to the invoice (for zero dollars) that I have from the original owner. That seems to indicate that it's an original canary battery. But perhaps they re-use the case and replace the cells in Japan or elsewhere. Nissan don't guarantee a new battery, merely better than 8 bars of capacity. So it may be that the part number on the battery case (which I haven't sighted myself) no longer agrees with the chemistry of the cells inside, and the invoice merely reported the part number that they found on the case. It seems unlikely that the original canary cells would still be made, and I don't believe that they could be old stock, as batteries seem to degrade almost as fast on the shelf that they do in active service.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

I have NA6A and I agree that there is a good chance that it has newer model cells inside an NA6A pack. It makes no sense to be making canaries when you could be making lizards. I confirmed several times with Nissan Australia that the battery would be new and not a refurbished unit, so I don't know where you got that info from? My replacement battery in every respect appears to be new.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 04 Aug 2020, 08:22
From my notes, which I think I found from a post on mynissanleaf.com, I have that the third last character of the battery model number designates:
A: original gen 1 (canary)
***k :evil:

If that is the case, mine is another canary. Nissan Australia quoted me NI-295B0-3NA6A. Paid in full back in March. I didn't do extra research whether the new battery would be a better one or not, as I was so sure there would be no way Nissan offering me an exact same battery.

Too late now. ***k Nissan.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

Rusdy wrote: Tue, 04 Aug 2020, 13:32 If that is the case, mine is another canary. Nissan Australia quoted me NI-295B0-3NA6A. Paid in full back in March. I didn't do extra research whether the new battery would be a better one or not, as I was so sure there would be no way Nissan offering me an exact same battery.
Why don't you give them a call and find out? You may still be able to change the outcome.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

I believe the 2013 24 kWh packs on wards had a different connector (not sure if it was just the comms or the HV DC) and required an adapter lead for the replacement packs to fit a 2012 LEAF. Perhaps now that they have some old packs returned ( or replacing 2012 packs is more common ) this is no longer the case and simplifies the replacement battery swaps.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Please, don't share John Cadogan videos. He riles people up to get clicks. A professional troll.