2011 nissan leaf

Nissan EV Interest Group
curasun
Noobie

2011 nissan leaf

Post by curasun »

Hello guys, I've been lurking around on this forum this days, searching for an info.
I'm a person that promote green matters for ou well being for our future.
I drive a 2014 Prius and lives off grid, well the grid is connected, but I don't use it, so lowering my carbon foot print.
Planning for an EV, wanted to build a EV from scratch. But I can get a 2011 RHD Leaf from Japan for $7000.
But they are high mileage. So the battery will need replacement.
My question is can a battery be build with for example with calb cells or other make, the same AH and voltage. With battery cooling.
Because the older leaf have been design without battery cooling.

Can this be done? if it is possible one can get a EV for $10000 total.
Best regards.

R.G.Specht
mikedufty

Re: 2011 nissan leaf

Post by mikedufty »

I don't think it can be done. You can't generally legally import 2nd hand cars yourself unless you owned it overseas. There is an exemption for specialty vehicles, but it won't allow any model that was available in Australia (e.g. I have a Delica D;5 4wd van import, it is not legal to import the 2WD version of the same van because it is too similar to vehicles available in Australia.)

The minicab i-miev van has been imported successfully, so you may be able to find one of those with a dead battery and do something similar. Chris Jones has some ideas on replacing i-miev batteries.

I would guess the electric version of the nissan nv 200 van could be imported under the same rules.

Or you could look for a cheap EV here, there have been a couple listed on the forum in recent weeks but I think the <$10,000 ones are gone now.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Interesting - you might have difficulty bringing the Leaf into Australia; there are rules about importing vehicles which have already been sold here (not sure if the 2011 Leaf counts though).

As for the battery, a replacement battery for the early generation Leaf will be possible, but it won't be that cheap. Best case scenario for non OEM battery prices is about $500/kWh, and more likely $750/kWh. If you're going to the effort of re-packing a battery you might as well make it better/bigger/liquid cooled.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

FYI: I have a 2011 Leaf (16 came in for Vic EV trial and were sold off after) so no-go to import one - but just having that series oficially imported negates bringing them in privately, no matter which year. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
curasun
Noobie

Post by curasun »

I don't live in Australia. I live in the carribean, the Island of Curacao. Our roads are for LHD cars, but the government has permitted to import RHD cars from Japan. They wanted to to stop it, but the people is against it, so the government left it.
So I wanted to import a 2011 leaf, before they stop it, hahaha.
The idea, is, the car is there, only the battery will be build with better battery.
Or you think to replace it with a original leaf to restore range. Our Island is a 40 mile Long Island, so I don't need a that long range.
What do you think?
R.G. Specht
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Well in that case... :D

I'd say replace the old battery with an equivalent one from Nissan. ~70 km from one end to the other doesn't need a big battery at all.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Why not grey import a LHD leaf from the US?
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
curasun
Noobie

Post by curasun »

that is another good idea.

thx.
GVan
Noobie

Post by GVan »

Prestige Motorsport is now importing used Leafs from $15k or so the latest newsletter indicates.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

GVan wrote: Fri, 15 Feb 2019, 17:46 Prestige Motorsport is now importing used Leafs...
Would those be right hand drive? I assume that there would be a lot of those available from Japan, though probably not as many as left hand drive cars from the US and Europe.

Regardless of availability, I can't see the sense of importing left hand drive vehicles into Australia, unless they're really rare models that are only manufactured in right hand drive.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
nigwil
Noobie

Post by nigwil »

coulomb wrote: Fri, 15 Feb 2019, 20:59
GVan wrote: Fri, 15 Feb 2019, 17:46 Prestige Motorsport is now importing used Leafs...
Would those be right hand drive? I assume that there would be a lot of those available from Japan...
exclusively from Japan I understand and yes RHS: https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/auctions/

unfolding story of an active import: http://ozleaf.proboards.com/thread/1105 ... pan?page=2
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Also lots of Leafs at Be Forward: Search criteria Nissan + Leaf + Electric . Edit: note: prices are in US$ by default, there is a fee of at least US$1400, then 5% duty, 10% GST, and possibly many other costs.

[ Edit: added last sentence about US$ and extra fees. ]
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

Last edited by Adverse Effects on Wed, 20 Mar 2019, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Adverse Effects wrote: Wed, 20 Mar 2019, 07:16
https://insideevs.com/nissan-introduces ... -4r-plant/ [ "Nissan Introduces $2,850 Refabricated Batteries For Older LEAF" ]
Interesting! I note that ¥300,000 ~= AU$3,900, so they're quoting US$ in the article.

Plus of course shipping a battery to Japan and a replacement to Australia, if the service was even offered, would mean your leaf would be off the road for maybe 6 months, possibly a lot more.

However, the battery health of the average leaf available second hand from Japan might increase, as dealers could decide it's better to get a leaf with a poor battery health upgraded rather than selling it for a fifth of the price it could fetch otherwise. Nissan's idea of displaying state of health of the battery on the dashboard, even if it's a bit crude, is a great boon for those buying second hand leafs.

[ Edit: "dealers decide" -> "dealers could decide", added title of link ]
Adverse Effects

no i was thinking more buy a clapped out car from japan and having the battery replaced then ship the car here as "parts"

francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

One less hurdle for electric cars. Everyone was worried about the cost of replacing the battery when it gets too old. It turns out that it is much cheaper than anyone expected and as more second hand electric cars become available there will be an incentive for aftermarket replacement batteries which will be even cheaper.
At 3000 replacement cost for a replacement battery it is not much more than an engine replacement on an ICE car but you get a new battery as opposed to a second hand engine for the ICE.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Aren't they exchange? Nissan has to make money somehow and a couple grand for a 24+kwh seems too cheap to be making a profit if it's filled with new cells. So I'd say they are probably 2nd hand cells that have been tested or Nissan are selling the exchange cells for a mint.
Also I thought they had been doing this for a while but they recently jacked the price up?
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

Nissan dealers are quoting owners in Australia about $34,000 AUD to replace worn out battery packs. Do they really think they are going to sell the new model here?
Adverse Effects

brendon_m wrote: Wed, 20 Mar 2019, 14:28 Aren't they exchange? Nissan has to make money somehow and a couple grand for a 24+kwh seems too cheap to be making a profit if it's filled with new cells. So I'd say they are probably 2nd hand cells that have been tested or Nissan are selling the exchange cells for a mint.
Also I thought they had been doing this for a while but they recently jacked the price up?
yes its exchange
no there new cells and have about 1.5 times the Kw the old pack did (new chemistry?)
the $ is made by setting the old cells up as 2nd life grid storage

WayneCook
Noobie

Re: 2016 nissan leaf battery fault

Post by WayneCook »

Does anyone know what happened with unfortunate Leaf owners who had faulty battery cells and were faced with a $34000 bill for a new battery? I am in a similar situation with a 30 kWh 2016 Nissan Leaf which has one bad cell. I have also been told by Nissan Australia that a new battery could cost $34k. Who sets this price? According to the 2020 US website
https://insideevs.com/news/428315/ev-ri ... %249%2C500.
40 kWh packs vary from $6,500 to $7,500.
and
https://enrg.io/how-much-does-a-nissan- ... ment-cost/
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

just one bad cell? that would be a case of buying a single module and swapping it out.
Where are you located?

the major car companies like to discourage grey imports, so it's not surprising they would give you a "go away" price

lots of the 24kwh leafs (the australian delivered ones) had batteries replaced under good will
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
WayneCook
Noobie

Re: 2016 nissan leaf

Post by WayneCook »

Re my 2016 Nissan Leaf with "limited power" turtle mode, as discussed on Sept 11, this car was an import by a Melbourne auto dealer. One Nissan group diagnosed the problem to be a bad cell (Leaf Spy Pro had already shown this) and charged $1100 for the report (you have to have a diagnosis before Nissan will attempt a repair) but told me that they were told by Nissan Australia that they were not registered to do the repair. Consumer Affairs Victoria told me that although the 3 month warrenty period after a sale had expired I should expect the importer to bear a significant part of the repairs cost (which he did). So I took it to another Nissan group who were registered and after an unsuccessful repair (wrong cells replaced due to wrong info provided by their computer analysis system) it was taken back and finally repaired by replacing the correct bad cells. Cost for the repair was an additional $2600. The car runs well now and can attain about 190km in eco mode or about 170km in normal driving mode. A lovely car.
brunohill

Re: 2016 nissan leaf

Post by brunohill »

WayneCook wrote: Thu, 10 Dec 2020, 15:26 Re my 2016 Nissan Leaf with "limited power" turtle mode, as discussed on Sept 11, this car was an import by a Melbourne auto dealer. One Nissan group diagnosed the problem to be a bad cell (Leaf Spy Pro had already shown this) and charged $1100 for the report (you have to have a diagnosis before Nissan will attempt a repair) but told me that they were told by Nissan Australia that they were not registered to do the repair. Consumer Affairs Victoria told me that although the 3 month warrenty period after a sale had expired I should expect the importer to bear a significant part of the repairs cost (which he did). So I took it to another Nissan group who were registered and after an unsuccessful repair (wrong cells replaced due to wrong info provided by their computer analysis system) it was taken back and finally repaired by replacing the correct bad cells. Cost for the repair was an additional $2600. The car runs well now and can attain about 190km in eco mode or about 170km in normal driving mode. A lovely car.
I am glad it has all worked OK for you in the end. I almost bought a 62 kWh LEAF import but was a bit worried about what I could do if I had any issues as Nissan Australia would not want to know about it. The LEAF is a very nice car and I think I prefer it to the Hyundai Kona I bought instead. The LEAF certainly rides a lot better on the rough roads I have around here compared to the Kona. I still don't believe how bad the service was I got from the dealer I bought the Kona from. I may have got better results from Nissan even though they did not import the car.