2018 Nissan Leaf!

Nissan EV Interest Group
jonescg

2018 Nissan Leaf!

Post by jonescg »

I like it. It's got all the right numbers (including the prospective price) and is a genuine competitor to the Tesla Model 3.
2018 Nissan Leaf 1200x800.jpg
2018 Nissan Leaf 1200x800.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 13113 times
https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/rele ... 70906-01-e

In short -
400 km range on the Japanese drive cycle (which is lots of 40-50 km/h, and not much highway)
240 km range under most other test regimes (like EPA and EU)
200 km range fully loaded at 110 km/h (my guess)

40 kWh battery with a 60 kWh battery version due in 2019
6.6 kW onboard charger (single phase, so likely type 1)
110 kW at the wheels, 320 Nm of torque
Lots of regen (aka 'e-pedal')
5 seats, lots of boot space
~AUD$42,000 including GST and onroads (my guess based on quoted figures)

Manufacture on the assembly line:
AEVA National President, returning WA branch chair.
rhills
Site Admin

Re: 2018 Nissan Leaf!

Post by rhills »

Be great if it gets here before 2020, in reasonable numbers and at a price that doesn't send everyone away screaming! Is there anything more substantial than a nod and a wink to suggest it will get to Oz? And of course the fact that Nissan have already sold Leafs here (kind of).

With that sort of range, I'll certainly look at it very closely when it gets here, especially if they can get the price down to the low 40K (or even high 30K).
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Nissan FB.JPG
Nissan FB.JPG (49.8 KiB) Viewed 13096 times
Yes, but not sure when, or how much. Or what spec. Or anything... sigh.
Richo

Post by Richo »

Well it's an upgrade from looking like a cat fish.
But now it's half Maxima and half C30.
TBH I think they would have been better off shoving all that in the Maxima.
Specs are nice tho.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Looks like they put the extra batteries in front of the front wheels, sticks out a long way. Or maybe my perspective is warped by having an i-MiEV.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

My question is what charge connectors will they have in Australia?

It's easy enough for them to say "we'll use the same ones as the old Leaf" but that's not necessarily the best choice going forward in Australia, with Tesla, Renault using Type 2 and the Ioniq yet to be seen (but there's a good chance they'll use the same as NZ).
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Richo wrote: Thu, 07 Sep 2017, 12:24 Well it's an upgrade from looking like a cat fish.
Seen the latest Pulsars? They look exactly like the 2012 Leaf! Progress I guess.
Pulsar.jpg
Pulsar.jpg (180.04 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
Richo

Post by Richo »

A cold shiver just went up my spine...

There is sooo many brilliant ppl in the world and this is the best they can do?!?
Welcome to mediocrity.
Cheaper to re# than create.

I think the problem is the Nissan automotive designers sit high atop a skyscraper in the middle of Tokyo removed from the real world.
Send 'em out around the world for a few months to get back in touch with the rest of us.

On the plus side my Grandma likes it...
Richo

Post by Richo »

All I see is future batteries for conversions :lol:
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

jonescg wrote: Sun, 10 Sep 2017, 09:33
Seen the latest Pulsars? They look exactly like the 2012 Leaf! Progress I guess.
Oh, come on, if you look long and hard enough, it eventually looking similar to this:

Richo

Post by Richo »

Yeah given that is mostly outer skin cosmetic changes and would barely be a price change why didn't they build that?

I'll tell you why - my grandma doesn't like it :lol:
lesmando
Groupie

Post by lesmando »

You can register your interest for the new LEAF on Nissan's website

http://www.nissan.com.au/Forms/2017-Lea ... r-interest
evseaustralia
Noobie

Post by evseaustralia »

It looks like a nice car...not going to set the world on fire with those looks, but a solid city car. Would like to see a bit more edge in the design through to make them more desirable.
http://www.evse.com.au
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, Charging Cables and Accessories
dylanpete
Noobie

Post by dylanpete »

Now that Nissan is preparing the launch of the 2018 Leaf I am wondering if AEVA should have a chat with Nissan Australia and ask them to also offer the "Leaf to Home" system to their Australian customers.
There have been quite some AEVA members discussing the advantages and appeal of V2H and V2G and I believe it absolutely makes sense to apply it here with the high prices we pay for electric power. In fact, I am even convinced that Nissan by offering the Leaf to Home system would have an enormous sales argument vs other BEV providers.
Here is another article that clearly explains the advantages of the system:
https://www.greenlivingpdx.com/coming-s ... al-backup/
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

dylanpete wrote: Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 19:18 Now that Nissan is preparing the launch of the 2018 Leaf I am wondering if AEVA should have a chat with Nissan Australia and ask them to also offer the "Leaf to Home" system to their Australian customers.
There have been quite some AEVA members discussing the advantages and appeal of V2H and V2G and I believe it absolutely makes sense to apply it here with the high prices we pay for electric power. In fact, I am even convinced that Nissan by offering the Leaf to Home system would have an enormous sales argument vs other BEV providers.
Here is another article that clearly explains the advantages of the system:
https://www.greenlivingpdx.com/coming-s ... al-backup/
A concept that was brought up at the 2016 AGM and seminar presentations in Adelaide that was supposed to be part of the late 2018/2019 EV package offered by most manufacturers. After the dramas I've had with an off grid system on an on grid house I think there is still a long was to go when it comes to Aust Standards rules and grid connect rules before it can ever get off the ground. The grid commercial interests are terrified of just such a potential disruption to the good thing they had going so they will fight dirty to stop it ever happening.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
dylanpete
Noobie

Post by dylanpete »

Hi Terry,
Aust Standards rules and grid connect rules may indeed be THE bottleneck to overcome but times are changing. V2G may be harder to achieve than V2H if grid connected and V2H easier again if off-grid?
If the price of the 40 kWh Nissan Leaf or another BEV that allows for bi-directional charging reaches a sweet spot customers could save a lot, especially if it's the 2nd BEV at home that stays a lot in the garage. Besides being an eco-friendly and performant mode of transport whenever necessary, it could function also as a relatively cheap back-up battery that could be supplementary to a smaller battery pack just large enough to power your home when both cars are out and nobody at home.
Looking to the encouraging news from SA, it may be worthwhile for AEVA to re-start a bit of thinkering and lobbying with OZ representatives of future oriented car manufacturers?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Off grid is not a problem, back to grid or any sort of grid connection to the off grid system hits the brick wall and at best cancels any grid feed in tariff you might already have .... well that was the story in South Australia anyway.
Had planned on the EV battery supplement to be stage 2 of this set up but now have to take this whole part of the system completely off grid to avoid the customer loosing their feed in tariff from the grid connect solar set up they already have.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

2018 Leaf now available in New Zealand, Between $55K and $66K.

so, when i Australia getting some ?
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev
reecho

Post by reecho »

Ultralights wrote: Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 15:18 2018 Leaf now available in New Zealand, Between $55K and $66K.

so, when i Australia getting some ?
All grey imports no doubt...Something our current government has no interest in as we don't donate to them....apparently...
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

I see someone suggesting a RRP of $42,000 ..... my guess given Nissan's original pricing for the original Leaf would be well into the $60,000s and probably nearer $70,000 for the 60kw version. Of more interest to me is the NV2000 which reportedly got 40kw from earlier this year. Whether or not it will get a 60kw battery is another question. Another issue of interest is the fast charging problems reported by British owners, something that may or may not apply to NV2000s thanks to their standard thermal management.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Rarely happy to receive spam, but just received one from Nissan re the new Leaf which I was delighted to see. Sadly, the link from the email to the Nissan Website was to a page about a fancy new feature rather than hard info like "available to order NOW for $xxxxxx" so still all a bit "vapourwareish".

Still, I'm happy that Nissan are actually expending the effort to market the new Leaf to me. I hope it's more than just a cynical attempt to lure me into a dealership and then try and sell me an ICEd vehicle. Maybe I should go into the local dealer anyway, feet in the door in response to their email would probably send them a stronger message than just clicking on the links..

I'm also happy that so far, they've only emailed me about their EV. Other manufacturers/distributors I've registered EV interest with (eg Volvo) have then proceeded to spam me about their ICE stuff, or worse still, send me nothing at all! I tried emailing Volvo and politely asking them to limit their emails to ones containing info about EVs. My request was ignored so I quickly unsubscribed.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
doggy

Post by doggy »

Hi Rob, I too received this email and was disappointed.
I am on their list because my pecking order was Tesla 3, Leaf 2018 then Zoe. I discovered the dimensions of the 3, which exceeded what I was looking for (small car for around town). I then discovered the Leaf 2018 had not added thermal management for the battery plus indeterminate delivery so scratched that. Bought a Zoe and have been delighted with it. I am sure the Leaf will come, given Nissan's track record showing their determination to sell EVs here. It will be interesting to see the price. I agree about them not sending ICE stuff and they clearly continue to have an excellent EV focus.
Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
11kWHr LiFePO4 AVASS battery with 5kW inverter
5kWHr LiFePO4 battery running all computers. comms, CCTV
4.7kW AC Enphase solar system
1kW DC solar system
16 evac tube HWS with 280L
AEVA and TOCA member
plnEV
Noobie

Post by plnEV »

I imported a 30Kw 2017 LEAF from Japan and it is fantastic! The reason I imported my own car is due to the poor response and service from Nissan Australia! I truly believe they will miss the EV boat in Australia by treating the car buying public as if they don't have the internet! Don't understand how they think that releasing an already superseded 40Kw LEAF is great news as a 60Kw Right Hand Drive has already been released in Japan and the UK ! Currently they are being protected by the Australian Government, but maybe the coming election and the introduction of Chinese EV's will show how arrogant they are! Buy a 40Kw Nissan LEAF for $50K? Not likely! The best thing the Australian prospective EV buying public can do is delay buying a price gouged 40Kw EV (of any brand) until the Global standard 60Kw battery versions are introduced to Australia at a realistic price!
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The best thing the Australian prospective EV buying public can do is delay buying a price gouged 40Kw EV (of any brand) until the Global standard 60Kw battery versions are introduced to Australia at a realistic price!
The problem with that approach is all companies these days are controlled by the figures given to them by their accountants. Accountants can't think in terms of future market potential, they can only see the numbers presented to them and crunch them to determine if something will make the executives bonus $$ because it will make money with little effort, or the figures for current sales are so poor that trying to break into such a soft market would loose money and executive bonuses.
Without the sales numbers of pure electric vehicles there will never be any competition between manufacturers on range capability or price in an attempt to corner the EV market for that particular type of EV.
I expect in the early days each manufacturer will look at a section of the market they can attempt to dominate rather than the shot gun approach of releasing a model for every section of the market and fight each other for a foot hold while loosing money hand over fist.
Nissan is just using the Australian market as the traditional dumping ground for gear they can't sell else where. Hopefully the other manufacturers take the opportunity to punish Nissan and anyone else who still thinks we are a total back water that will grab anything offered.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
dylanpete
Noobie

Post by dylanpete »

Nissan will soon be confronted with the Australian market reality when the Tesla Model 3 and Hyundai Kona arrive! Let's hope they wont make the mistake of getting stuck with an inventory of 40 kWh battery cars and completely drag out the introduction of the 62 kWh one.